Thursday, July 7, 2011

Interview Michael Yebba



Michael's Bio Link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Yebba

What is the current project you are working on?

ORDINARY MAN
A Father/Son journey:

Tow truck driver Jason Watts is barely making ends meet, so when an opportunity to work "overtime" presents itself, he has no choice but to take it. Not wanting to disappoint his son, Chris, Jason takes him along for a Saturday spent in a tow truck. Chris is an amazing 8 year old that loves superheros. But which is his favorite? Hulk, Iron Man, Super Man, all good, but Chris can find a flaw in each. When his day with Jason turns deadly, Chris finds out exactly whom the best superhero is!

 Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Filmmaker? No! I discovered a passion for acting at an early age. However, growing up in South Boston, the “arts” weren’t something you pursued. Southie was a tough, lower class Irish neighborhood made famous with films such as Good Will Hunting, The Departed and the real life Gangsters such as the recently captured James Whitey Bulger. As a kid, it seemed our only option was Union Work, politics or crime. The entertainment business was not an option. As I got older, I realized this mentality was absurd and I slowly began my journey into the world of writing and acting.

 What inspired you to become filmmaker?

In my senior year of high school I was a “troubled kid” to say the least. I sold drugs, I barely went to school, I was constantly fighting and my life was on the fast track to nowhere. On one of those off days in which I actually attended class, my English teacher gave us an assignment, a short story with the premise of making a deal with the devil. To this day I strongly believe fate, I was meant to be in class that day. I wrote the story and thought nothing of it after I passed it in. A week later, the English teacher pulled me aside and commended me on my short story. He said, “You’re a very gifted writer, please do not let that talent go to waste.” I can’t say I set of immediately and pursued a writing career but the seed was planted. A few years later and after an extremely dangerous summer for my friends and I, I felt it was time to get the hell out of Southie before I ended up dead or in jail so I joined the Marine Corp. During my enlistment I started buying screenwriting how-to books and began honing my craft. My first Screenplay was loosely based on my life and friends lives growing up in South Boston. Long before Good Will Hunting, I started pitching the story and the whole concept of Southie as the next “Compton”. I wanted to do for Southie what N.W.A. did for Compton and put it on the map. No one really knew that poor white people lived in massive housing projects that were infested with street crime, drugs and organized crime. I thought it would have been an amazing sub-genre. Only problem was I didn’t know anyone directly in the industry. Growing up with a “hustlers” mentality, I shifted gears from street hustling to network hustling. I had an acquaintance that was living with Mark Wahlberg in La just prior to him becoming a Movie Star, so I reached out and asked for help. I don’t remember his name or if he was Marks manager or lawyer but I got a number and an address to send my script to. About three weeks later I received a call from him, he told me “my script was good, I had something, but it just wasn’t for Mark” He said, “I should get it too Miramax or October Films.” Naturally I was pissed, I obviously had no means of getting it to either Company, or so I thought. By this time I was living in Florida, it was around 96 and I was working just barely scrapping by, my burning desire to do something with my life was an inferno. I began searching the Internet for contacts at these companies, once I found who I thought looked like the “right” people, I drafted a “pitch” and faxed it to each person. The very next day, I received a call from Miramax Films. They wanted the script ASAP! I sent it out that day and began the “waiting by the phone” process. While waiting, I received my second call this time it was October Films. Unbeknownst to me, October Films had just begun producer films from script to screen; prior to that year they were strictly a Distribution Company. They also wanted to read my script so I packed it into an “overnight” envelope and shipped it off, however, instead of waiting by the phone to hear from either company, I set my plan in motion. I immediately called my contact at Miramax and informed her about October Films “wanting to option my script.” I was lying of course but what did I have to loose? She told me, “don’t do anything just yet, give us a day and we’ll get back to you.” I then called October and repeated my lie to the contact there and within a few days, October said the actually wanted to option the script. I guess competition was alive and well. After a few months, I signed some papers, packed my bags and went back to Boston and began the waiting process all over again. This time the wait was months and months and months. Finally I heard from my contact via a letter in the mail. They weren’t doing my film, they had no budget left in that fiscal year and would have to shelf the project indefinitely, or so they said. I was devastated; I didn’t know what to do with myself. Then I watched “Brothers McMullen.” From that film and the story behind the making of it sparked my interest in becoming a “filmmaker” and for the first time I thought, “I can do this.”

What is the best thing about being one?

I don’t think I have a ‘best thing”, there are many great things about being a one. Being a screenwriter now by profession, I get to experience the entire process of script to screen. Granted, I have only experienced the “entire” process once with Bad Blood, my directorial debut, but none-the-less I got to experience it. I love the struggles that come along with being an Indy filmmaker I also get to see the Hollywood side via my writing career. The misconception many people have is the Independents have a more difficult time. That can’t be further from the truth. I currently have 6 different projects in various stages of development. Some are with some major players in Hollywood and each one of those have they’re own challenges.

 What is the worst thing about being one?

The frustration! I’m not big on amusement park rides, I get motion sickness and being a writer or filmmaker trying to get his name out there is one big rollercoaster of a ride. The ups and downs are a daily occurrence but it’s also part of the fun.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

To date I have only Directed 1 film, I am gearing up for my second, which will be shooting in late August. As a writer, I have worked on at least 20 projects in the last few years. A handful are my own, some have been rewrites and some I was hired to write.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

I honestly don’t have a favorite. I’m more of a “favorite” movie guy.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Filmmaker? It hasn’t changed much. As a writer, my life has changed drastically. Writing is my full time job, aside from my wife and kids, it’s all I think about and spend my time on. I seldom take days off. Working as a writer, from home, there are no set hours. I find myself working most everywhere I go, my laptop is always by my side for those “just-incase” moments.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Don’t talk about it. Be about it! It sickens me when I hear people constantly talking about “wanting” to do something yet never seem to do anything. If you want to direct a film, do it. If you want to become an actor, do it. And if you want to write then write something. The responses I usually get is, “it’s not that easy, I need money”, “I can’t get an audition” or “I don’t know what to write”. I usually reply with the question, “Are you looking to be famous or do it?” because my theory is, the level of success one may or may not obtain has nothing to do with the desire to do what you want to do. There are plenty of local theaters, short and student films to be part of. The craft of writing does not come as soon as you open final draft and directing a film doesn’t mean you need millions of dollars at your disposal. If you have a desire, a true desire to do something, you’ll find a way to do it. The last thing I will say is, “Dreams are for those who sleep.” I don’t have dreams I have goals!

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Spending time with my family.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Way to many to list here.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Foreign Films: “Tell No One” recently just moved to the top of my favorite list.

American Films: Black Hawk Down, Donnie Brasco, Five Heartbeats, Social Network, Good Will Hunting to name a few.

Television: The Wire and Entourage.

 How would you describe your film education?

Very hands on! I received no formal education in film. When I want to learn something, I do it. I’m not afraid of failure so giving something a “Go” is nothing to me. If I’m not very good at something, I work extremely hard at becoming better.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Touchy subject! There are tons of extremely talented people here in Boston who I would be honored to work with. Unfortunately, the less talented, star crazy, fame whores, far out number the talented ones. The residual effect has created a stigma on our film scene in my opinion. Hollywood has been reluctant to cast many major roles out of Boston with the exception of Ben Affleck. The extras or shall I say “background performers” often play up there positions on set, they talk to much and brag to often about what they’ve done and who they’ve worked with. I understand it may be all someone has but for me, it’s too much. I prefer to keep to myself and only work with a small circle of people.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Have yet to experience the change to comment on that.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I’ll tell you fully after my campaign! Lol   No really, it was difficult for me. I am an extremely reserved person. I am often label an “asshole’ by others because I’m quiet and keep to myself. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Those who know me know I would kill for the people I care about and would do anything I could for those who show they’re working hard to obtain their goals. That being said, it was hard for me to “air” my business on an open campaign trying to raise funds. I felt like I was begging and I’ve never begged for anything in my life. Here I am, a writer, repped by a major Agency with several projects in development begging for a few thousand on indiegogo. I had almost erased the campaign on several different occasions. What people don’t realize is, despite my having connections and working in the industry, crossing over from writer to directing isn’t always supported. Now if I wanted to wait until one of my projects hit the big screen or the Television then sure, the support would be there ten fold, but I’m not one to wait. I’ve already wasted years of my life; I can’t afford to waste anymore. So I want to get a jump on building my resume as a Director. When and if the opportunity ever comes when someone trusts me with millions, I will be able to show them what I am capable of doing. Back to my theory, be about it. And although I am a full time working screenwriter, I do not get the money big names get so fully funding the film myself was out of the question. So I decided to give it a try.

What is the casting process like?

I wish I could tell you I have experienced the full casting process, in the room, seeing tons of people, I haven’t. I have a lot of friends who are professional actors and I usually just turn to them. I just attached Ethan Embry to my next film, Ordinary Man.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

It makes far less money if any at all.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

El Meriachi – I’d love to see if he really shot that for the budget he said he did or if it was just “hype” to generate media attention.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

I have none that I can think of.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Every time I reached into my pocket I could pull out wads of cash. I’d fund all my projects myself.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

No need to have them. There are so many great scripts floating around, why rehash the same old shit?

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Good question! As a movie fan, I always have been all for it. As a writer, up until recently, I loathed the thought of adapting someone else’s material. This past January however, the opportunity presented itself for my writing partner, Emilio Mauro, and I to adapt a New York Times best seller. We were hired to adapt Harlan Coben’s “The Woods”. The result was an eye opening experience into a new world of the Studio process. It was not only an extreme challenge, which I loved, it also allowed me/us to understand more clearly the world of Hollywood and how things are done. I thoroughly enjoyed the process and in fact just yesterday turned in the final draft to the producers. We are very excited to say the least.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

No matter what happens, never, ever, give up on yourself. I’ve been to hell and back in my lifetime and made a detour to prison. I was a Boston Fire Fighter, a Marine and a jack-of-all-trades at one time or another. But the one thing I always did right in my life was never giving up on myself. Whenever I fell, I picked myself back up, dusted off the dirt and carried on. You’re never too old, too poor or too nothing to reinvent yourself. Keep the faith!

Thanks Michael for doing the interview. I will  spread the word about your film "Ordinary Man". I'm always happy to give a shout out to a fellow Massachusetts native.

No comments:

Post a Comment