Sunday, July 10, 2011

Moonie Garcia Children's Author



Moonie Garcia went to school to become a graphic designer only to realize she didn't want to do art that way so she quit. While moonlighting as a graphic designer she spent the following years dancing and acting in community theatre. Moonie married and began a family at age 25. Dancing and acting came to a halt, but she continued to do illustrations here and there. When her third child started first grade she finally had time to focus on her own projects. It took her 3 years to complete "Sela" and about 2 years to finish "Sela and the Ragamaroo". Somewhere in between she started waking up at night, sneaking down stairs and writing until she and decided to keep a notebook by her bed and scribble her sleep.

What is the current project you are working on?

I'm finishing up the sequel to my first book, Sela.

Did you always want to be a writer?

No. I've written poetry throughout my life, but I always identified myself as a visual and performing artist.

What inspired you to become writer?

My kids. I love children's books. Reading to my kids is one of the greatest pleasures I had in being a mother. Creating one for them was like a “Bucket List” item for me.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

Like painting and illustrating, it allows me to show the world what I see inside my mind.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The occasional writer's block.

Who is your favorite author?

Edgar Allen Poe. I love the juxtaposition of the dark, horrific subject matter and the beautiful language he used to describe it.

What are some of your favorite books?

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey and The Spider and the Fly by Mary Howitt and Tony DiTerlizzi.

What is your thought process like when your writing?

I almost always write when I wake up in the middle of the night. I'll start to get a stream of phrases that progress into full sentences and I scribble it down in the dark. I'm really half asleep only slightly guiding my thoughts to make sense. Then, I refine it later on when I'm fully awake. I guess you can say I sleep-write?

You could have any book in the world. Which would it be?

My third book. Then it'll already be done!

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

A cat. I appreciate their independence and sense of adventure.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Telepathy/telekinesis. That way I'll know exactly who the bad people are and I can “dispose” of them without getting my hands dirty.

What do you think "Curious George" is so curious about?

Why he's the only monkey in the city who has a full coat of hair?

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

You definitely loose a lot of the story in the movie versions, but it is fun to see the great visual affects from movies like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

I've started a project on Kickstarter.com for a series of paintings titled, Apples & Monsters. The paintings will illustrate and include poems I've written in the past year..

 

 

 

Thanks Moonie for doing the interview. I wish you the best of luck with your Kickstarter campaign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment