Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Interview With Lacey Gilleran

Lacey Gilleran (Producer) is a graduate of Sacred Heart University with a double major in Media Studies and Communication & Technology. During her college career, she held many important roles on campus from Producer of the Pulse, a news program on campus, to General Station Manager for the TV station. She was also in charge of Public Relations for WHRT the campus radio station. She has won many awards including the "Faculty and Staff Award", "Best Director", "Best Promo", and "Above and Beyond" for four consecutive times. From her vast experience of leadership roles, she completed two internships at NBC doing work for both the Olympics and Sports Promotions departments. From there she went on to work as Commercial Associate Director and Production Assistant at World Wrestling Entertainment, where she traveled all over the country working in the broadcasting truck at live shows

 

What is the current project you are working on?

I am currently working on the movie Scrill. It is a short film about Daniel Scrill, a recent college graduate who upon receiving a box of books from his mother, discovers the journal of his father, who died when he was a toddler. Daniel decides to attempt to find all the people his father wrote about, in search of a more complete view of his dad, instead of the idealized version his mother has always given him. What Daniel finds is a more honest portrait of the man he doesn't remember calling Dad than he ever expected, and the choice of keeping this new idea of his father with him, or leaving it behind with the strangers who knew him best.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

If you were to look back at writing assignments of mine as early as 2nd or 3rd grade it would say “I want to be an actress.” This dream then morphed into my new dream of becoming a filmmaker – and here I am today.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

There is nothing like the thrill of making a film. Every part of the process is exciting to me -– the brainstorm of a story, the planning, filming, and then the postproduction. I think the ability for a group of people to come together for one project inspires me. People from all different backgrounds and beliefs come together to make a project they care about. I don’t think any other job can compare to being a filmmaker.

What is the best thing about being one?

The people. The people you meet in the filmmaking world are different than any other. This is my first project using IndieGoGo and every person I have come in contact with on the Internet has been completely supportive. I know that even after my project is finished, I will stay in touch with a lot of these people and we will always support one another.

What is the worst thing about being one?

I think it’s hard for people outside of the filmmaking world to understand the amount of work that goes into a project – even a short movie. This being said, sometimes its hard to get people outside of family and friends to even take a glance at your project. However, thanks to websites like IndieGoGo and filmsnobbery.com it is a lot easy to get your movies out there.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

This is my first, big production. I have been involved in a lot of projects in college, but this project is the beginning to (hopefully) a lot line of films.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I think my imagination is back into full swing. It’s like I’m 5 years old all over again. I’m constantly thinking of new projects or just new ways to make the current projects I’m working on better. It also has definitely given me different ways of looking at every day situations.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Well seeing as I’m just starting myself, I don’t know how much advice I can provide. However, I think it’s important to have good time management in any project. Make sure you organize your ideas and plans of action – it will just make everything easy in the long run.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I am a very big video game/technology enthusiast. I actually host a weekly vlog about video games on youtube at www.youtube.com/quickietv. I also write for www.thegamersthumb.com. I just love Halo and COD.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

I have had many jobs. I worked at a grocery store, a country club, a nursing home, and a restaurant. I also recently worked at WWE where I traveled on the road to live shows and worked in the broadcasting truck. So I guess you can say I’ve done a little bit of everything.

How would you describe your film education?

My education came from experience and the knowledge of great professors. I graduated from Sacred Heart University in May 2010 with a double major in Media Studies and Communication & Technology. Throughout my time in school my professors gave me the guidance I needed to accomplish my goals, while also giving me the space to grow as an individual and a filmmaker.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Well I think anyone can easily say that Social Media has changed the world. However, I think it changed the independent film industry greatly. I think it is so much easier to get your ideas and word about your films out with these mediums. I know that if it weren’t for Twitter I wouldn’t have made contacts with many people that I now find mentors.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I think crowdfunding is great. It allows for indie projects to get funding when they would normally not be able to. It also allows for people to spread the news about your projects. I back crowdfunding 100%.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

I would say anything with Clark Gable. He is amazing. Also, would it be incredibly stereotypical to say Citizen Kane? I know it’s really overplayed in film classes, but that movie was just so ahead of its time and set the bar for future films.

How you been a guest on Filmsnobbery Live?

I have never been a guest on Filmsnobbery Live, but they did choose Scrill as their “IndieGoGo Project of the Week.” I’m immensely flattered and the guys at Filmsnobbery are so nice. Tune into their podcast every Thursday night! They are just so supportive of all indie films. I hope to be a guest on their show someday.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Please help spread the news about my film project, Scrill. http://www.indiegogo.com/624andsleepless-Presents-Scrill. Even $1 would make a difference and help some young filmmakers dreams come true.

 

 

Thanks Lacey for doing the interview. Keep me posted on your campaign. I'm a big of FilmSnobbery.com also. The crew over there is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment