Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Interview with Shiloh and Rider Strong


For over two decades, Rider Strong and Shiloh Strong have been acting in theater, film, and television. When the brothers joined forces to write and direct, they produced the short film Irish Twins, which premiered at the 2008 Tribeca Film Festival and went on to win multiple jury and audience awards at festivals worldwide. That same year they created a spec commercial for Barack Obama’s presidential bid that MoveOn.org awarded Funniest Ad and raised the money to take to air; it was the first political ad to appear on Comedy Central. Their second short, The Dungeon Master, was a selection of the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival where it won Best Short in the online competition. It also won Best Comedy Short at the Sonoma International Film Festival. Their graphic novel, Blood Merchant will be released in 2011 from Image and Benaroya Comics and their next short, Method, will premiere at the 2011 Palms Springs Shortfest.  Follow Shiloh and Rider on Twitter.


What is the current project you are working on?

Shiloh - We are in the process of writing the screenplay for our graphic novel "Blood Merchant" which will be out soon. We have some feature film pitches we are going in on and a couple tv show ideas that we are taking meetings on. Throwing a lot out there and see what sticks.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Shiloh - Always telling stories. Rider and I started out professionally as actors but out first movie we made when we were about 4 years old and our dad came home with a video camera. "The Great Toy Caper" It holds up pretty well.

Rider - It was an epic: roving cowboys who turned into superheroes at the sign of danger. John Favreau's got nothing on us.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

Shiloh - I was just talking about this a couple weeks ago and I think for me it was seeing Ed Burns' "The Brothers McMullen" - that was the turning point for me I think and when I realized I wanted to move behind the camera.

Rider - Even though we were always acting professionally as kids, it was mostly theater and television. I don't think I really understood what a film director does until I started watching Laserdiscs with commentary. Menace II Society was a big one, and it seems fitting that they were brother directors. And then PT Anderson's Boogie Nights was the real clincher. When I saw that and then listened to his (multiple) commentary tracks, I remember thinking, I have to do this.

What is the best thing about being one?

Shiloh - I think the best thing is being in the audience and hearing the reaction to a joke or a moment in your film. It's better than any drug.

Rider - I really like any moment of discovery. Surprise. Because you have to do a lot of prep work as a filmmaker. Even if you didn't write the project, you make a whole bunch of decisions ahead of time. So I love it when you get on a set and are blown away by something you never expected: an actor does something magical or your DP nails a shot. I literally jump up and down when that happens.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Shiloh - When you don't get those laughs and the audience is silent. Crushing.

Rider - At the stage of filmmaking we're at, begging favors and trying to get people to work for free, I think post production is the most frustrating. Trying to find people that a) have access the right gear b) willing to work for cheap and c) are still talented? That's really challenging.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Shiloh - I have no idea! Projects for me means a whole mess of mediums: photo, writing, art, film, acting. I've been involved in some form of those creative endeavorer my entire life. I hope I can look back an not look at the number of projects I've worked on but take joy in a life lived creatively.

Rider - Agreed. We have three short films that have played festivals that we directed together. A multitude of scripts, shot scenes, sketches, commercials...

 Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Shiloh - Tough one. So many. I just watched The Pianist again and I have to say, Polanski has the most amazing way of making a film his own through the use of his actors. I think he really is able to get them relaxed, inside their mind and create some powerful performances. So he is one of my favorites when it comes to working with actors. So I'll say him for now. Visually - Terrence Malick makes my day.

Rider - Scorcese. I'll keep it simple and just stick with him.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Shiloh - A lot more broke.

Rider - Yep. A lot more broke, but somehow...more satisfied.

 What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Shiloh - Shoot shoot shoot. Get your friends and get a camera and just start doing it - I think people like to hold onto an idea and wait for something to be "perfect" before going out and doing it. That's how you learn.

Rider - Totally. Write something and get people to make it with you.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Shiloh - Surfing. Photography. Internetting.

Rider - Writing fiction. Reading. I'm a big book nerd.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Shiloh - Acting then now photography.

Rider - Acting. I've never had a real job.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Shiloh - Galaxy Quest. Arrested Development.

Rider - Stand By Me is still the most important movie in my life, the first movie to make me cry and get under my skin, I was 8 when I first saw it. It holds up. Foreign - any of De Sica's films. Six Feet Under was the reason TV was invented.

 How would you describe your film education?

Shiloh - From full frontal to shooting from behind.

Rider - Making it up as I go.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Shiloh - INT - SHILOH'S LOFT - EVENING

A light filled "downtown style" loft with the buildings of downtown seen through large windows. SHILOH, 33 and graying, sits at his computer desk typing away on his laptop.

                                                                                                                                                                                              SHILOH (V.O)                                                                                                                           This feels very meta.


CUT TO:


Rider - In LA, the film scene is very competitive and commercial. But there is more talent here than anywhere else in the world. You just have to dig deeper to find it.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Shiloh - I know it's helped us with out\r short films in getting the word out there - most of our interviews and connections seem to come from facebook or twitter now days. It's awesome to go to a screening, meet some people and then they can follow your tweets (I'm not very good at tweeting) or friend you on facebook. Makes me feel like they are a part of the film experience and a lot more interactive.

Rider - It's still changing. I'm curious to see how many of these movies produced by Kickstarter and the like can really jumpstart indie projects that do well. But we have yet to get to the point where online distribution is foolproof. Even for short films. I think it's really going to take a movie that could choose to be in theaters to go direct to internet. Like a Johnny Depp movie. I think if people could only download the latest Pirates film for $15, they would do it. And the Prints and Advertising budget savings might make it a valid option. But right now, there are too many people making a living off of stringing the audience through the distribution channels.

 What is the casting process like?

Shiloh - We've been pretty lucky in that we've known most of our actors as friends before casting them in roles. I'd love to da a proper casting though, been on the other side of that room so many times.

Rider - I hope to let actors play parts they might not normally get. I know I've thrived when a director casts me in a different light.

 How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Shiloh - Not sure I'm an expert on that subject, but I would wager that indie film is not trying to appeal the masses - so you are going to get a much more nuanced, hopefully more focused story. That an also not being paid for my a studio. That would make it indie. :)

Rider - Yeah, as a "genre", indie just means targeted at a smaller audience. As a descriptive term, self-financed.

 You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be?

Shiloh - I'd love to see Orson Welles and his DP with a pick axe and shovel trying to dig the camera lower in Citizen Kane. That was an awesome moment and must have been cool to see.

Rider - Oh, just take me back to the 80s and let me watch Raiders of the Lost Ark being made.

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

Shiloh - Bison

Rider - Wolf

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Shiloh - Fly.

Rider - Fly. I want to say invisibility but then everyone would think I'm a creep.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

Shiloh - Bring it. Make em terrible. Everyone loves talking about how "The Original" was so much better.

Rider - I wish people did more remakes of bad films. Remaking a good one is just pointless.

What is your opinion on comic book adaptations for film?

Shiloh - Awesome. Sin City is the best so far that I've seen. Watchmen was pretty cool too.

Rider - Not a huge fan. I never like it when someone forgives bad dialogue or cheesy moments in a movie because it's "like a comic book!" No. It's a movie, regardless of where it was adapted from, it shouldn't be like a comic book. But then again, I'm not into superhero stuff in general. Unless they're cowboys who turn into superheroes. That's totally cool.

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview guys. I'll be on the look out for "Blood Merchant". Cowboys we turn into superheroes, you two where ahead of your time. That's an awesome concept. Lastly, I just wanna say I saw "Dungeon Master" online via Tribeca Film Festival. I loved it.

1 comment: