Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Interview Alison Parker



What is the current project you are working on?


I'm currently in pre-production on a short film called "Jake & Jasper: A Ferret Tale".  It's about a young boy who is struggling to cope with the death of his mother, and finds solace with a ferret named Jasper.  It stars Connor Stanhope who played Young Lex Luthor on the TV Series "Smallville".  It's probably one of the first films ever to show ferrets in a positive light.  This is a great story and I can't wait to share it with the world.


Why have ferrets gotten such a negative image in the media?


I think it's because the people that are making these films don't have any experience with ferrets.  If they did, I doubt they'd portray them as aggressive animals. It's unfortunate, but it's just the way it is.


What do you want people to know about ferrets?


Ferrets are incredibly loving, playful, smart and funny creatures.  They make great pets.  I have two ferrets, Frisco and Falcor.  Frisco really likes to be held and will fall asleep in my arms.  It makes it difficult to get work done sometimes, but its very cute.  They play fetch, they wrestle, they do the 'weasel war dance' which is when they jump around in delight, thrashing their heads about and making cute noises.  That's also called 'dooking'.   I teach them tricks, they sleep together in a hammock.. I could go on and on.  That being said, having a ferret is a big responsibility and people should do their research before running to the pet store to buy one.  There are too many ferrets in shelters right now because people couldn't handle the work it can take, or afford the vet bills if they get sick.


How much does it cost to have a ferret in a film?


I don't actually know what it would normally cost.  The ferret I'll be using in Jake & Jasper is my little guy, Falcor.  He's free, if you don't count all the treats I must use to bribe him to do tricks and perform on film.


Did you always want to be a filmmaker?


I always knew I wanted to be in either the music industry, or the film industry.  My first dream was to have my own record label, actually.  So I went to school for audio post production.  It was there that I learned how to do sound for film.  My two loves collided at that point and I decided to be a sound engineer for film.  Then I got tired of doing the sound on other people's films, so I decided to start making my own.

What is the best thing about being a filmmaker?

Everything.  I spend my days coming up with story ideas, finding the people I need to make it happen, working with actors, going to wrap parties, screenings, and learning more and more as I go.  I get to be creative, I get to make people laugh, make them cry... It's the best 'job' in the world.


What is the worst thing about being one?


I have no social life.  But maybe that's just me.


What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?


A bajillion.  Roughly.


Who  is your favorite filmmaker?


Robert Rodriguez.  I love his films, and his story is truly inspiring.  Any aspiring filmmaker needs to read his book "Rebel Without A Crew", about how he made his first feature film for only $7000 and it launched his career.  He was a dreamer, and so am I.  I didn't need to read about his experience to know that I would succeed if I just followed my dreams, but it certainly helped knowing that.


What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?


It's a really common thing that all filmmakers say, but it's true.  Go make a film.  Then figure out what you could have done to make it better, and make another one.  And then another, and another, and another.  Until you die.


What do you like to do besides filmmaking?


I like to play with my ferrets, watch General Hospital, go to concerts, travel, play guitar...  And of course, watch lots and lots of movies!


Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?


Sadly yes but you gotta do what you gotta do.  I worked at a call center for 6 years for a cell phone company.  I've worked for Subway making sandwiches.  I've worked at a laundromat.  Thank God that's over haha.


What are some of your favorite American films? Canadian films? Television shows?


I really love animal movies.  Films like Free Willy, The Never-Ending Story, Where The Wild Things Are, Homeward Bound... but I also love movies about drugs, sex and violence.  Now if only I could combine the two...


How would you describe your film education?


As I touched on earlier, I have a diploma in audio engineering, but when it comes to film, I learned by doing.  I never went to an actual 'film school'.  From what I hear, it's not worth the money.


How has social media changed the independent film industry?


Without social media, I probably would only have raised about $20 for my film.  As it stands, I've raised over $3200 of my $10,000 fundraising goal on IndieGoGo.  I also get a lot of film contacts and crew members through Facebook.  It's much better to get someone that is a friend of a friend, then to put an ad on Craigslist.  I get rental clients for my Red MX camera through Facebook, too.  So, a lot.


What's your opinion on crowdfunding?


It's awesome!  Thanks to crowd-funding, I will be able to have a large variety of animals in my film "Jake & Jasper: A Ferret Tale".  I LOVE animals, and so does the actor Connor Stanhope.  There's a scene where he runs away to a forest and encounters many wild animals, like a skunk, a wolf, a rabbit, an owl, a fawn, etc.  Animals are expensive to get into films though, and there's the added cost of the animal wranglers as well.  My fundraising campaign on IndieGoGo has been very successful in raising the money I'll need to get all the animals on my wish list.  It's also established a large fan base for the film during pre-production, which is pretty cool.  People are asking me when it will be on Netflix.  I haven't made the film yet!


What is the casting process like?


Well normally you'd go through a series of auditions and callbacks.  But with this film, I already knew who I wanted to play Jake.  A friend of mine is friends with Connor's Mom, and emailed me to make sure I was aware of his talent.  I watched his demo reel and was blown away.  This kid is amazing.  And then I met him and introduced him to my ferrets.  They developed an instant bond.  So I've got this amazing young actor, who loves animals as much as I do, and loves Falcor the Ferret (who plays Jasper).  I also hand picked the actress who plays his sister, Jesse.  Her name is Laci Mailey and she is one of the best actresses I've ever met.  She was the lead actress in a feature I produced last year and when I saw her audition, she actually made me cry.  I was dying to have a chance to work with her as a director.  So casting this film has been a dream so far.


What's your favorite movie quote and why?


"A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do... with a gun rack?" - Wayne's World.  Why?  Because it's hilarious.


You could have any super power. What would it be?


I'd like to be able to light my entire body on fire like that guy in The Fantastic Four.  That way, any time a mosquito tried to bite me, I'd just yell "Flame On!", and he's toast.


Is there anything else you would like to add?


Yes.  This film is my dream film and I would like to ask anyone reading this to please consider making a donation to my fundraising campaign on IndieGoGo.  Please go to http://www.indiegogo.com/Jake-Jasper-A-Ferret-Tale and take a look at the perks.  The more you give, the more you get.  Be sure to watch the promo video there too.  It explains exactly what your money will be used for.  It's funny, too.

[vimeo http://vimeo.com/25619366]

And finally, thank you to the many, many ferret owners who have donated to this film already.  I know what this film means to you.  I promise I won't let you down.

1 comment:

  1. This is a well done article that I have bookmarked for future reference. Have a good.

    ReplyDelete