Thursday, July 7, 2011

Interview Amit Mehra




 

People underestimate the power of fantasy..imagination. They give too much importance to the way things are....instead of the way they can be" - Amit Mehra

Screenwriter, Filmmaker from Mumbai, India. Detailed resume and other details on IMDB - http://www.imdb.me/amitmehra

Amit's a screenwriter, director based in Mumbai (earlier Bombay), India's city of dreams or Bollywood as we know it in the west. He's been working for the past 20 years across the films, television and advertising industries in India. Post completing his film schooling from XIC where his student film "The Shroud" starring Rahul Bose won the best student film award, he assisted several celebrated Indian filmmakers like Pradip Kissen, Bobby Bedi, Debaloy Dey, Rakyesh Mehra in feature films & advertising commercials & worked with iconic Indian news channel & personality NDTV's Dr. Prannoy Roy for their Election Analysis series.



In 1994, A visionary producer Pranav Bhasin gave him his first break as a director with cult black humour based TV satire "Mat Halla Macha" which was also conceptualized by him. Amit went on to create several television shows for one of the first Indian satellite channel JainTV and National broadcaster Doordarshan. Many of these shows were also directed & produced by him. In the late nineties, he launched his own production company, where besides TV shows, they also made some documentaries, ad films, corporate films for various large multinational companies and Government agencies. In the last 6-7 years while his production company AMP ANGLES has created a niche for themselves in corporate advertising films, Amit in his personal capacity has been developing feature film scripts for various producers. One of his script 'Karma: crime, passion & Re-incarnation" was produced as an English film by an A list Indian film producer Vivek Singhania in 2008. The film after premiering at Cannes, went on to win awards at several film festivals including Best feature at Marbella, Spain. In the beginning of this year, AMP ANGLES decided to diversify into features films production and as precursor to that, they have produced a short feature tentatively titled 'Everybody Hurts" that just completed principal filming in small town of Bhopal in India. "Everybody Hurts" is a psychological drama written and directed by Amit, that they will be taking to all major film festivals across the world.



You can connect with Amit on Facebook and know more about his Film "Everybody Hurts" here : http://t.co/JIKPWxE





What is the current project you are working on?

Amit: I have just finished the principal filming of my first short feature "Everybody Hurts", (working title), as a screenwriter & director. The film's producer is Ms.Semanti Sinha Ray. It is a psychological drama set in the small town of Bhopal in a central state of India called Madhya Pradesh. Though the film unfolds as suspense story, it essentially revolves around a larger social reality of how every man has become an island amidst the densely populated sea of humanity. Currently the editing and other post related work is in full swing. We plan to take this film to all major film festivals across the world. This production also marks the beginning of our production house, AMP ANGLES's, foray into narrative feature films production. So far we have mostly been producing corporate advertising films & documentaries.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Amit: Yes. Growing up in New Delhi, India during the 80's, we had very little recreational options apart from sports and movies. I wasn't particularly interested in sports but was blown away by the magic of cinema. Thankfully my parents and extended family were always avid film watchers so we were always going to theatres or watching films on TV. But my major addiction to films and the fascination started with the advent of video cassette players. My dad also had a stake in a large video library and one of our neighbours used to frequently travel abroad and get plenty of videos of great Hollywood and British films for me. So by the time I was a teenager I had already seen a huge amount of Indian and English films and was clear in my head that I wanted to grow up and be a filmmaker. In fact I wrote my first amateur script at the age of 6 or 7 but only shared it with my mother and a couple of people in the family. I would also design posters of imaginary films on my house walls and stuff. So, films was pretty much the only thing in my universe that interested me. films and music...

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

Amit: When I was still a pre-teen, I would often badger my older cousins Alin & Robin to narrate me stories of films that I was not allowed to watch because of my age. Films like Godfather or some James Bond films. I still remember during my sleepovers at their house, we would often sleep in the open air terrace and before sleeping, as we lay there looking up at the clear starry summer sky, my cousins would relate these amazing scene by scene narratives of the great Hollywood or Bollywood films they had seen while I would try to imagine the world of these movies. That was my first inspiration to be a filmmaker...to be able to create these imaginary worlds with these wonderful characters. Then I watched two films that sealed my fate...Sholay and Star Wars. Sholay till date remains probably the best Indian film ever made and Star Wars we all know. I was so mesmerized by the effect these two films had on me as a child that I just did not want to leave the world of these movies. In my head I stayed inside those movies for the longest time. So you can say, my cousins, Ramesh Sippy (Director of Sholay) and George Lucas inspired me to become a filmmaker.

What is the best thing about being one?

Amit: I would say the best thing about being a filmmaker is to get a license to fantasize and make people fantasize. Fantasy to me is the best part of our reality. It's often the only uniqueness that separates us from other animals...we often underestimate the power of fantasy...imagination and give too much importance to the way things are, instead of the way they can be.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Amit: I still have to discover a real down side of being a filmmaker or a downside that is unique to a filmmaker, except that perhaps we tend to get a little self obsessed or egoistic. Also, the career graph can be much more volatile than most can handle.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Amit: In the last 20 years, I have worked on quite a few projects of various scales and genres in different capacities across Films, Television and Advertising industries in India. Probably more than 60-70.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Amit: Can't name one. Apart from Ramesh Sippy and George Lucas, It would have to be Alan Parker, Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Francis Coppola, David Fincher, Tim Burton, Woody Allen, Ridley Scott and a great Indian filmmaker Gulzar (whose films are as lyrical as the music in his films). He is also one of the finest lyricist/song writer we have. He hasn't made a film in a while, actually neither has Ramesh Sippy. I wish they would. I am also a great fan of the early films of Manoj Night Shyamalan.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Amit: In my head, I was always a filmmaker, so in that sense, life has not been any different since I officially became one. Maybe now I day dream less and actively do something about realizing them more...

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Amit: First of all I am in no position to give advice, if at all I need it more than anyone else. That said, it's always good to not answer your own questions, just go fearlessly wherever your heart takes you and the answers will come to you....the mystery will get unlocked....hopefully.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Amit: Listening to music and travel. I love all kinds of music but mostly retro. I love some of the Brit bands from the 80's like Duran Duran, Frankie goes to Hollywood, Sting, Robbie Williams. Huge fan of U2 and then there's always Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Abba, Mamas & papas on my playlist. I listen to Indian film music more than other forms of Indian music but I am trying to develop an ear for that too. I love traveling to smaller unknown towns. I love meeting strangers in a place which is new and strange to me. It's almost always exciting. I also love still photography - as in I am good with my Iphone..

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Amit: Not really. Always worked in films, TV, Advertising or related industries. Once, many years ago, I came very close to giving it all up and starting a business of office automation products of all the things. I even got cards printed but I think that lasted like 2 days. Then once, during one of my many low phases, I almost got into the food business but that too lasted just a few days. I don't think I have a life beyond movies and music. That's all I know in this life, maybe in the next I can be a chef. I am a huge foodie.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Amit: I grew up on American films so there are plenty apart from the ones I have already mentioned. I like political thrillers like "The Manchurian Candidate", spy movies like "Bourne Identity" and sucker for all science fiction films. I loved what JJAbrams did to "Star Trek". Manoj Night Shyamlan's "Signs" is another favorite of mine. I also watch a lot of American Television shows like "Lost", "24", "Damage", 'The Wire", "Sopranos", "Entourage" to name a few. The show that I would never miss is "Curb your enthusiasm" or anything that Larry David does and "Simpsons". I also liked a show called "Huff"...I don't know why it didn't last beyond couple of seasons. It was pretty good. Steven Spielberg's "Taken" and "Band of Brothers" were great mini series. "Heroes" and "Prison Break" started well but lost their way post initial seasons...

For last two odd years or so, I have been trying to watch a lot of world cinema. It's really addictive and to be honest, some of the European and Asian films are probably the best work I have seen in recent past. Specifically, I am greatly impressed with South Korean Cinema. They are probably making some of the best films these days. Filmmakers like Bong Joon-ho and Kim ji-woon amongst others. I am also discovering the marvelous Japanese cinema through the films of Takeshi Kitano. I am also discovering our own great master filmmaker Satyajit Ray. I have no idea why I didn't watch his films earlier. Amazing stuff there.

How would you describe your film education?

Amit: I did go to a formal film school XIC here in Mumbai during the early 90's which was great but my film education started much earlier when I was still a kid. Watching films and discussing it with friends who love films is the best way to educate yourself about cinema. Like people working in different streams of science, a filmmaker too, is always a student...things are always changing and sometimes faster than you can learn them and on the other hand some of the basics remain the same but some times it can take a life time to learn those as well. 40 years of watching films and 20 years of working in them has taught me just a fraction of what I would like to know about cinema. That's how vast a universe it is or maybe I am slow...

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Amit: I live in Mumbai. The hub of the Hindi film industry or "Bollywood" as popularly known. So the scene is as "filmy" as it can get. Almost one in every five people you meet have some or the other connection with films. We have plenty of theaters, some very good ones with world class standards. Most of the films being exhibited are either Indian films of various languages or Hollywood films. We seldom get world cinema or art house films in the regular exhibition circuit. That said, there are a few film societies and clubs that keep hosting festivals and screenings of such cinema. People in India are equally passionate about movies and cricket. These two have remained the main source of entertainment for the longest time and I don't see that changing soon. Of course with the power of faster internet connectivity, the delivery systems may change, evolve...

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Amit: Social media, especially Youtube, facebook and twitter has given a much needed boost to the independent filmmakers in India who were getting rather isolated. Today they have found their voice and an audience. Unlike the west, in India, till a filmmaker becomes hugely famous or successful, there are no ancillary systems, agencies to support or nurture them. The filmmaker is pretty much on his own. He not only has to create the content but also sell it, market it and manage his career, create his own brand, popularity and visibility. There are no agents, talent managers for filmmakers, script writers or other technicians. So, before the advent of social media, a lot of such bright and talented voices never got heard or seen. Today the scene has changed. Social media has truly empowered the independent filmmakers to showcase their work and build an identity for themselves - right from the early stages of their careers. There are a lot of Do It Yourself digital filmmakers in India today, who are writing, shooting, editing and uploading films all over and to great response from their audience. The smaller costs and quicker turn around time has helped. This has also resulted in some recognition in mainstream media and some of these filmmakers have also achieved success within more traditional film industry. However, this is still a developing story but one that has a lot of hopes pinned on it.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

Amit: I think Crowd funding is a great idea but vulnerable to scams and because of that risk, it may take longer for it to become a real option for a large number of filmmakers. Especially new filmmakers whom the general public have not heard of. Integrity and trust issues will always be tested on these platforms but for this to become a regular source of funding, people need to see the fun side of investing in non traditional, emerging economies. This calls for change in psychographics, social dynamics and spending patterns. Also, how people perceive value in art in general and films specifically. As filmmakers, we need to be ready to accept a larger number of direct shareholders in what is essentially a very intimate creative process. At some point these shareholders may expect more than just a shout out and freebies or a chance to be associated with a film project as this is different than say simple donations or charity. The filmmakers will have the burden of educating the shareholders to the unique nature of film business. It's not easy but it is a way forward. And a good one at at that.However, these will be some of the challenges crowd funding will face. But like all good ideas, this too should be tested and tried instead of debated and the right answers will show up sooner or later.

What is the casting process like?

Amit: There is no pre-set standard casting process in India, so I can only speak for myself. At this time, I cast essentially on two principals - best skill set match with the character and easy to work with. At some point, I guess I may have to go beyond these two parameters and look at more commercial aspects like star status, popularity, producer's best friend but I am really hoping I do not. Casting is one of the biggest challenges in front of Indian cinema. We have very few popular actors and it creates a major crunch in more ways than one. The reason we have few popular actors is because we are not giving enough chances to new talent. The reason we are not doing that is because we are not casting right and for the right reasons. All famous stars at one point were nobodies but we seldom remember that. We've got to cast more with our own conviction rather than someone else's.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Amit: Again, I may not the right person to answer this because, a film, I do not differentiate on that basis. For me a great film or a bad film can come out of any corner of the industry. For me I think the process from script to screen is what essentially differentiates an Independent film from a mainstream. In India, mainstream is always associated with more formulaic content, big famous star cast and more traditional narrative but that is changing. Independent cinema in India is essentially the new wave of what was known in the 70's, 80's as the parallel or art house cinema with newer faces, low budgets, off beat storylines and experimental narrative but this too is changing. I think cinema on the whole is going through transformation, much like our society, so I would say wait and watch this space.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Amit: It would have to be Star Wars, Sholay, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sound of Music, Doctor Zhivago, Godfather and Apocalypse now. I think these films involved the kind of film making that formed the basis of processes involved in making films of those genres since then..and also because I always wanted to live on the sets of these films.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

Amit: "may the force be with you" .....do I need to tell you why? But apart from being a Star Wars fan boy, I also think it was a great line that gave hope....

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Amit: Invisibility. I like to watch...

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

Amit: Not the greatest idea but some do it well and some of it are fun too but only some.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Amit: It's great for me as I do not read much so I have no pain process involved of seeing my favorite chapter being chopped off. That said, once a teacher in my film school said that only make those subjects into films that can only be films, not a radio show, play, painting or a book. Not many books lend themselves well to visual storytelling but they are a great source for rich dramatic material and characters.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Amit: Nope. Except, pl do keep a lookout for our first film "Everybody Hurts" if you visit film festivals during the festival season of 2012....that is if the world does not end by then.

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview Amit. I hope I will be able to see "Everybody  Hurts" when it comes to a festival near me in 2012.

10 comments:

  1. [...] more: Interview Amit Mehra | johnhoff3 Tags: best-student, create-several, feature-films, film, film-award, film-schooling, indian, [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    The interview was a great read: You have a clarity of thought towards the art and soul of storytelling/filmmaking that is refreshing and the joy you derive from the sheer process of film-making clearly comes across in your words.
    You have caught what I think is the most important trait of a good filmmaker/storyteller- to be able to enjoy the process of observing around them and absorbing what comes to them.
    Please keep us posted on your further work, for people who will not get a chance to be a part of the festival circuit.

    Regards
    V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Vipul,

    Thank you for your kind words. Pl do join us on facebook to keep in touch with our journey and that of our films... here's the link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ampanglesFilms

    Cheers
    Amit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great - your efforts, the theme of the movie, and films like this are much needed in our world today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More specifics like your strengths,areas of (un)certainty, contacts, distribution, economics and personal perspectives would help others to know you better.,You will gather useful co-travelers with the needed outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Randy for your kind words and support.

    Cheers

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Phani,

    You can read more about me on IMDB...I think John has provided the link above. To know more about our initiatives in Independent cinema from India...pl join us on facebook. Again, John has very kindly provided that link too.

    I look forward to seeing you there.

    Cheers

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent interview. i look forward to seeing your work.Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent interview. I look forward to seeing your work. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Claire. Do join us on facebook for latest updates.

    See you at the movies :-)

    ReplyDelete