Sunday, September 11, 2011

Aaron Marcusson Novelist/Artist



http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aaron-Marcusson-Chronicles-of-the-Twelve/248430300158 is the author of two full-length novels, Chronicles of the Twelve: Vampire Redemption and its sequel, Vampire Rebellion, and is working on the third and final book in the series.  He is also working on a zombie novel, developing a series of zombie short stories, doing research for a non-fiction book about the current state of education in the United States, as well as writing various horror themes.  Aaron has recently started co-writing for Zombie A.C.R.E.S. as well as providing an exclusive cover for their upcoming Alice in Zombieland comic book project. His published works are available anywhere ebooks are sold.

Aaron holds a Master’s Degree from the University of Nebraska at Kearney, where he was in charge of the cadaver lab and spent countless hours dissecting human corpses. That is when the nightmares began; he suffered nightly from twisted visions of hordes of reanimated corpses slavering for his flesh. Aaron decided to start using those nightmares to fuel his life’s dreams, and it seems to be working out pretty well for now. Aaron lives in Dallas, TX with his wife, Melissa, several dogs and cats, and a bearded dragon.

What is the current project you are working on?

I currently have at least a half-dozen “open” projects, some of which I can share with you and some I can’t just yet.  The ones I am most entrenched in are the third novel in my Chronicles of the Twelve vampire series and the Zombie A.C.R.E.S. Alice in Zombieland comic book project.

How do you handle rejection?

I don’t.  Which is a good thing.  I received one rejection letter for my first novel, Vampire Redemption, after waiting for six months for a reply (it was supposed to be three).  It said, and I quote, “I appreciate the opportunity to read your submission, but I’m sorry to say that in the current crowded market, this does not sound to me like a book that we can make into a success.”  This was soon after the whole Twilight thing blew up, so interest in vampires was at an all-time high.  I had written Vampire Redemption long before ever reading Twilight, by the way, just to clarify.  I was determined that was going to be the last rejection letter I ever received, and decided to look into self-publishing.  I figured I would just have to make my book into a success myself!

Did you always want to be a novelist/artist?

Yes.  I was always writing stories and reading things that were way more advanced than most people my age.  I credit my mother for that.  She was an English teacher for the length of her professional life, and really helped to shape my precocity in regard to language.  I still have a few of the programs for young writers’ conventions in Nebraska and Iowa, where my work was first published when I was in elementary school.

 What inspired you to become a novelist/artist?

I started writing my first novel for one reason: To see if I could.  I was increasingly disappointed with the books I was reading and the movies I was watching.  How many times have you read a novel or invested two hours of your life into a movie only to get to a lackluster, anticlimactic ending that left you thinking how much you enjoyed the story except for the ending?  I noticed myself doing that a lot and decided to put my talent to the test and see if I could do better.

I’ve also always been a doodler and I have a Master’s Degree in anatomy and physiology, so I know how the human body should look (both inside and out; I worked in a cadaver lab for two years in college), so I think that helps to lend a reality to my artwork.  I am still working on hammering out a “personal style” for my graphic art, though I’ve been a comic geek from the get go, so I have a tendency to draw very muscular guys and very curvy gals.

 What is the best thing about being one?

There are several great aspects of being a novelist and an artist, but my absolute favorite is the fans.  I think most authors and artists are attention-seekers in some way, and when I read a comment on my work or see a Twitter post from a fan I get a little giddy.  I really enjoy being told by someone I’ve never met that he or she couldn’t put my books down.  It’s a rush for me.

 What is the worst thing about being one?

Every time I’ve interviewed for jobs I’ve been asked “What’s your greatest weakness?” to which my reply has always been “I’m a perfectionist.”  I know that’s like Interview 101 for what you should say, but in my case it’s so true.  I write a bit differently than most in that I get it right the first time.  I don’t write multiple drafts; everything has to be perfect in a certain section or I don’t move on.  Now I do occasionally miss something or create a plot hole that I have to fix once I’m “finished” with the project, but I strive to get everything spot-on while I’m writing it.  That can be maddening, but I’d rather work out the kinks and loopholes earlier than later.  As a result it typically takes me longer to write a story or draw a panel initially, though editing is a breeze.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I currently have two books published in my Chronicles of the Twelve series (Vampire Redemption and Vampire Rebellion), as well as a duet of zombie short stories (Drinks Before Dinner & Dinner Before Dancing).  I’m helping Josh Cook with some of the editing and detail work on Zombie A.C.R.E.S. and the Alice in Zombieland comic series he plans to unveil at ZomBcon this year.  I am providing the cover to the ultra-limited edition of the book, which is really exciting.  Then there are the other intellectual properties of mine that I am developing.  I am hoping to have some of those published in the coming months.

 Who is is your favorite novelist/artist?

My favorite novelist is Stephen King, whose work I began reading in sixth grade.  I remember my mom had to vouch for me and my level of maturity to the town librarian to allow me to check out Cujo.  As far as artists, that is a slightly longer list, though all but one are comic book artists.  Mark Texiera, Joe Madureira, J. Scott Campbell, Frank Miller, Dale Keown, and the Kubert brothers are some of my favorites on the comic book side, and Salvador Dali is my favorite “artsy” artist.

How has your life changed since you became a novelist/artist?

I now daydream a lot more about how it will be when I am a household name and can afford to buy a private island.  Just kidding.  I am a lot more active on Twitter than I used to be as it lets me connect with my fans faster.  Beyond that I can now call myself a novelist, which means a lot to me personally.  Even though I had written Vampire Redemption a few years before publishing it, I didn’t consider myself a novelist until I got my first sale.  Once that happened, it felt like my universe shifted a little, but overall, my life hasn’t changed much…yet.

 What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in your business?

Do your best and just keep at it.  Practice your craft and study the works of others.  Develop your own voice and focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses.  I’m a very conversational writer; that’s my thing, that’s how I write.  I can’t expect to switch to a different style and I wouldn’t want to.  Find your muse and just write or draw or sing or whatever every day.

What do you like to do besides writing and drawing comic books?

I am an avid Playstation 3 gamer.  I’m currently playing Resistance 3, and I’m always up for a round of just about any first person shooter’s multiplayer.  I also like to shoot big guns in real life, though I don’t get to do that as much as I’d like.  I collect antiques (thanks to my wife) and do some gardening, though Dallas was too hot and dry to really do that this summer.

 You could go back in time and see any comic being made. Which would it be and why?

Amazing Fantasy #15 – it was the first appearance of Spider-Man.  I would love to see if Stan Lee and Steve Ditko had any inkling about how big Spidey and Marvel would become.

 You could have any first edition book. Which would it be and why?

That’s a tough one.  I own several antique books, though none of them are terribly classic.  I’m more a fan of modern writing, I suppose.

What's your favorite quote and why?

“That which does not kill us serves only to make us stronger.”  Friedrich Nietzsche said it, and while I don’t agree with his comments on God, I’ve liked that one ever since I was a teenager and started lifting weights.  I really used to ascribe to that one while in the gym!

 What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Movie remakes seem pretty lame to me in a lot of ways.  It just seems like Hollywood continues to recycle played out ideas while there are thousands of independent, no-name writers with fresh, new ideas who would love to share their visions with the world.  Sequels are fine (as I am in the process of writing the second sequel to my first novel – LOL), but only if they are actually thought out ahead of time.  Several big series should have never gotten to be series; the sequels were garbage.  Cash cows can only be milked so long, Hollywood.  Seriously.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Lately there has been a welcome increase in film faithfulness to the printed source material.  The first Harry Potter movie was great in this regard, as was the second.  That faithfulness disappeared in the third film, though, and did not come back until the two-part finale.  The Twilight movies have also done an admirable job in sticking to the books.  I hope the movies that will eventually be based off of my books do as good a job.

Is there anything you would like to add?

I just want to thank you for the opportunity to talk to you and your readers.  Check out my books and the Zombie A.C.R.E.S. site, follow me on Twitter (@aaronmarcusson), and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment