Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ryan Francis Actor in "ThanksKilling"



Ryan started acting at the young age of 5 years, and has been performing ever since. He played drums in a female-fronted political punk band called Overated for 9-years, before shooting his first full-length film, "Thankskilling". Overated toured all over the Midwest, appearing with bands such as The Riverboat Gamblers, The Misfits, Killola, Strike Anywhere, and many more. During that time, Ryan had a huge interest in film, attending Ohio University in 2005, right after high school, for a short amount of time, working as a sound tech for various college projects. One in particular, called "Pinned", directed by Patrick Norman, was favored by Ryan. He is residing in Columbus, OH where he runs his record label, REF Records, and performs as a nerd-core hip-hop artist that the locals know as "Huge Euge".

What was it like on the set of "Thankskilling"?

Well, set was always a good time! The location we shot at most was Jordan's (dir) fathers home... and it was out in the Middle of Nowhere, OH. Since the cast/crew was very very small, we all became friends pretty quick! So it was just like going to work with all of your buddies. Some nights, after lack of sleep was starting to take a toll, there were times when we'd have to shoot a scene 10 different times because we were laughing so much! I recall the scene when we're all around the campfire, and the baby bunny flies into it. AH! Hilarious. Such great days/nights on the TK set!

What's it like acting with a puppet?

Oh this was fun! I mean, you've got a little shit puppet being treated as an actor. It made it easier to realize how funny the movie is actually going to be. It was MUCH better than delivering dialogue to a green carpet or a steel rod or a football!

Did you always want to be an actor?

Eh, acting has always been a hobby of mine. When Jordan approached me with the idea for TK, of course I hopped on it. If you've seen the film, you can see, acting is not my forte'. However, it's very fun! I'm currently working as a referee (along with my good buddy CHUCK LAMB) for an all-female amateur wrestling league called, "Saturday Night Pillow Fights" based right here in Columbus, OH. Things are looking just amazing! Hey, at least I'm still getting acting gigs after this film! haha!

What inspired you to become an actor?

I've grown up in theater! Acting has always been something fun for me. Just not the passion I used to have. Believe it or not, I had a full ride to a university in Ohio for acting... I turned it down for full tuition at a state school to pursue video production. I think that was the day that turned it around. HOWEVER! I'm still always very eager to work on set! So, if anyone out there, anywhere in the world, needs an ex-Thankskilling actor in their horror-comedy-drama.... give me a call! (seriously!)

What is the worst thing about being one?

Eh, there's nothing too horrible. I hate the fucking makeup. Lets just be honest. Always have.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

TK is obviously the only one you'll ever hear about... but I've worked with so many different people on so many projects. I just love staying busy.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

I'm totally old school when answering this question. John Carpenter and Wes Craven could really put on a good horror show in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. We lack that today. The monotony of remakes is absolutely classless and "Hollywood". All it's going to take is for ONE bright filmmaker, to make another original film. Quit taking gems and remaking them. It's hard to say anymore, though, who I like. Pockets are deep, and greed is way worse. Everyone wants to be the next MIchael Bay. Shut the fuck up.

How has your life changed since you became an actor?

Since Thankskilling, I've met SO MANY cool people! From all over the world. Between emails, and sometimes friend requests on Facebook, I try and stay in contact with everyone! I've met fans from all over the US! It's really pretty sweet. Sometimes, if I'm drunk enough, and its some poor blokes birthday on Facebook, and the sap has his number public, I'll give 'em a call. I mean, I remember being a kid and watching B-horror films... and if some random shitty guy from the movie called me on my birthday, I'd be stoked as fuck. I called one fan... and she was stoned out of her mind. She didn't believe it was me. And I think there's another guy I'm friends with, I'm thinking about swinging by a music venue in a couple of weeks to see his band play because he invited me! It's just really cool how many badass people out there share a passion for horror films! AND these fans are the GREATEST! Shit. Everyone I've met through TK knows who Bad Religion is. And Frank Turner. And No Use For a Name. Good shit guys!

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

It's all about originality. Stop making zombie films. Just. Stop. You're wasting YOUR time and your actors time. Who gives a fuck? Find an ORIGINAL IDEA, write an AMAZING script, and SAVE MONEY!!!!!!!! I recommend Lloyd Kauffmans book, "Make Your Own Damn Movie". It's got some pretty great tips in there about making amateur films.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Wall-E, Armageddon, Jesus Camp, Catfish, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I've been watching LOST recently on Netflix (Season 3, now)... and I love Law and Order: SVU, Judge Judy, Peoples Court, Doug, Rugrats, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and The Price is Right.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Columbus has a good amount of filmmakers here! There are a plethora of projects for people to get into, in any aspect of filmmaking. Genres are widespread! The 48-Hour film fest is a pretty big hit every year, too! I've met so many cool people here locally who have their game faces on. But let's face it. You want the big bucks as an actor? Get to LA or NYC. Don't fuck around locally. Follow your dream! Get out there!

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Oh, absolutely. It gives people the ability so share an opinion to potentially hundreds of people in mere seconds. It's great for the filmmaker and consumer. It's SO MUCH easier to get your movie out there, however, it requires a more unique marketing scheme in order for people to give a shit about what you're posting about.

What is the casting process like?

Honestly? Haha. Well, for TK, it was an absolute mind fuck. Aka, we shoot in 2 days... for 2 weeks straight... and there was no Kristen. It involved Jordan and I, sitting at a 24 hour doughnut shop late at night, while I sifted through name after name after name in my phone to find someone WILLING to be in it (Thanks Lindsey). So... other than that situation, I don't know. haha.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

"I wanted to run away that day, but you can't run away from your own feet" - Flint Lockwood (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs)

Flint was a nerd. Flint invented "Spray-on Shoes". He couldn't take them off after he sprayed them on, and even when people gave him shit about what he did, he realized that he can't run away from it. They'll be with him forever. And he's just gotta accept that and move on. As the movie progresses, we know that Flint finally becomes comfortable with himself... and ultimately, he's very very happy. Bottom line: Be who you want to be, do what you want to do, and don't let anyone tell you no.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Just a big thank you to all of the TK fans! Jordan and Kevin are not lying when they say this sequel is being made because of you guys. Trust me. I know how close it got to NOT being made... but you DEMANDED it... and it's really fun to watch from the outside.

Thanks for doing the interview Ryan.  I'm  going to check out your band "Overated".   While I'm at it I'll rewatch  the original TK. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

4 comments:

  1. What a great guy and wonderful actor. It would not surprise me to see Ryan make a big budget film someday and the world know his name.
    He has a great attitude and is a genius when it comes to what's funny.
    Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, awesome! Going pro! I can't wait for the new movie by the way. It's going to be EPIC! I bet you 20 bucks you explode after that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Cella! Live the dream! EZe

    ReplyDelete