Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tamir Yardenne Producer, Founder and CEO of Tamirfilms Ltd




In 2007, with a dream of creating quality work, Tamir launched Tamirfilms Ltd., a film and TV production company.  As Chief Executive Officer, he is responsible for the worldwide production, marketing and distribution of all Tamirfilms entertainment, including motion pictures, television, cable, syndication and home entertainment. As a teenager Tamir worked in musical theatre in upstate New York and on Cape Cod, singing and dancing in summer stock theatre at Bucks County Playhouse, Woodstock Playhouse and the Falmouth Playhouse. He performed in the chorus of "My One And Only" and "West Side Story". Tamir was given a scholarship to attend the prestigious New York University Tisch School of The Arts, where he received his BFA.

While attending New York University he was asked to join the Negro Ensemble Company, where he performed several Off-Off Broadway productions. He traveled to London to do Satre's “No Exit”, where he received rave reviews. Tamir is now working in Los Angeles and can be seen starring with Jada Pinkett Smith on “Hawthorne” as Vernon. His past television guest spots include, “Dexter”, “NYPD Blue”, “The Young and the Restless”, “The Pretender”, “Ghost Stories”, “That's Life”, “New York

  

What is the current project you are working on?

Silencio A short film that deals with the social ills of today. A raw film of  hope and redemption.

How do you handle rejection?

I cry

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

No, I wanted to be a star!

 What inspired you to become filmmaker?

Out of necessity, being an African American with dread locks I wasn’t getting those  amazing roles I wanted. I decided to stop waiting for my agent to call and created Tamirfilms to produce the kinds of parts I wanted play.

 What is the best thing about being one?

Your creative juices are always flowing. It makes life more colorful because you see possibility in everything. The thought of suspending your idea of disbelief just amazes me. I love giving others the chance to work that turns me on.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Begging for money to fund your projects. We should all be independently wealthy.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I don’t want to count I may start crying again LOL!

 Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Ang Lee, love him. David Lynch, crazy sick mind?

 How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I live my passion now. Waking up doing what you love there is nothing like it. I wish this for everybody on the planet.

 What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

If this is what makes you get up in the morning, DO IT! BE PREPARED TO WORK!

“Be bold and the mighty forces will come to your aid.” I tell that to myself when things aren’t manifesting as quickly as I would like and when the fear starts to come up.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

My first love is acting so when I’m not behind the scenes my other passion is creating a character and seeing it come to life.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Are you kidding – Waiter.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

All David Lynche’s films, Color Purple, Six Sense, Face Off - Nicolas Cage was brilliant,  Like water for chocolate, Hidden tiger crouching dragon. True Blood fan all the way.

 How would you describe your film education?

I’m a NYU Grad so our education in the industry was well rounded. We had to do it all. By being on set in front of the camera and getting frustrated by the lack of skills or professionalism I would start to take charge. I’d hang out on set or come in on my days off and learn everyone’s job.

What is the casting process like?

I’m just as nervous auditioning actors as I am auditioning for my self. I want everyone to win.

 How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

LOL like a soap opera and I’m Erica Kane.

 How has social media changed the independent film industry?

It leveled the playing field. It is a great time to be making film, so exciting.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I’m so in gratitude to crowdfunding. We are not all trust fund babies or come from homes with money so if you can get folks to stand behind you and help you finance a project that your committed to then I’m all for it. It’s got a bad rap but those are just chicken heads with big opinions.

 How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Money vs no money, crap vs art! Did I say that? LOL

 You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Definitely not in the sixties, not a good time for black folks in film. Although there were a few Kats who were doing their thing in spite of the big studios and it’s portrayal of the Negro.




“I’m not mad at  you, I’m mad at the dirt” from Mommie Dearest. That was one crazy $%%$!

Do you believe in life on other planets?

It’s not in the bible so no.

Do you ever wish you had a super power? If so, what would it be and why?

I wish I could disappear, that way I could see who’s talking about me LOL!

 What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Look, there is an audience for them otherwise they wouldn’t get made. We need to remember that we vote with our dollars so as long as we keep showing up they’ll keep making them.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

Love them. Sometimes ya just don’t want to read, just lemme see the film.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Our vision at Tamirfilms is to be of service by being a loving, playful, generous and powerful example of the absolute joy that is available to us. Socially conscious filmmaking is our tag line and I hope we can rise up to meet it.

No comments:

Post a Comment