Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Graphic Novelist Al Davision


Al Davision was born in 1960 with severe Spina – Bifida. He survived 21 operations by the time he was 8 years old, and 5 murder attempts by his father.  Drawing and his art kept Al sane during those tough times. Al holds a 5th degree black sash in Dian QI Tao Gung Fu and a 1st degree black belt in Karate-Do-Shotokai. He married Maggie and they moved to Coventry and opened up “The Astral Gypsy”. “The Astral Gypsy” is a book shop and illustration studio. For more information on Al and “The Astral Gypsy” visit
 http://www.astralgypsy.com/

What is the current project you are working on?

There are two, first: Blood-Light. It’s written by Alexander Finbow and lettered by Todd Klein. The story is set during the English Civil War, kind of a ‘Oliver Cromwell meets True Blood.’ This is being published by Renegade Arts Entertainment next yearhttp://www.renegadeartsentertainment.com/_blog/News/post/Blood_Light_graphic_novel_moves_into_production/

The second project is my own self-published graphic novel The Alchemist’s Easel: A Rough Guide to Drawing the Unconscious.’ This is part autobiography dealing with a bout of temporary blindness I experienced, part dream diary, and part ‘how to draw book’, that explores the drawing techniques that grew out of my experience of being blind. I’m funding the limited edition hard back of this through Indigogo a fantastic funding platform. People can contribute to your campaign, and get ‘perks’, anything from a sketch, or copy of the book, to original art depending on the level of contribution. As of this writing, we are about a third of the way there.

What inspired you to become create your graphic novels?

Drawing comics was my first form of communication. I spent a lot of my childhood in hospital as I was born with Spina – Bifida. I was drawing comics to communicate with nurses in hospital before I learned to talk, and before I even knew that there were such things as comics.

What is the best thing about creating a graphic novel?

Freedom to create whatever you want in the case of your own work. When working on someone else’s project it’s bringing their vision to life as best you can.

What is the worst thing about creating one?

In terms of self publishing it has to be formatting the book for the printer, always a hard slog. On other peoples projects, it’s probably the lack of editorial control you have.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I’ve lost count, I’ve been doing this for over thirty years!

Who is your favorite graphic novelist?

Impossible to reduce it to just one: Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Jiro Tanaguchi, Moebious, Katsuhiro Otomo, Bryan Talbot, Edmond Baudoin, Alex Toth, Melinda Gebbie, Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, Jill Thompson, Mike Carey… the list goes on.

How has your life changed since you created your graphic novels?

Hard to say since I’ve been doing it most of my life… but being an artist, a writer isn’t something I decided I’d like to do, it’s something I have to do.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it as a graphic novelist?

Have something to say, practice saying it all the time, work hard, and develop the confidence to sell yourself, promote your skills, but make sure those skills are the best they can be at any given time. Never think you are ‘there’ you can always improve, develop a hunger to keep improving.

What do you like to do besides creating graphic novels?

I love films, watching them, and making them. I have been practicing Martial Arts for over thirty years and hold a fifth degree black sash in Diang-Qi-Tao gung-fu. You can see a demo here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQc1tD-30Js I translate this experience into fight choreography for theatre and my film projects. I read as much as I can and listen to music all the time.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to create your graphic novels?

It’s always been comics or graphic novels in one form or another.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Off the top of my head:

TV: The Wire, Fringe, Spiral (French), Wallander, (the original swedish version) The Killing, (the original Danish version) Doctor who, Torchwood. Criminal Minds, Nikita, (new series) Fallen Skies, Battlestar Gallactica, (new series) Caprica, Walking Dead, X-Files, True Blood, amongst many others.

Films: Kagamusha, Enter the Dragon, Citizen Kane, Memories of Murder, Mother, Hannah, Ong Bak trilogy, Cat People, (original) Throne of Blood, The Matrix, Doctor Strangelove, The Bride with white hair, Sands of Time, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue. amongst many others.

How would you describe your education as a writer?

Self taught.

How would you describe the creative “scene” where you live?

Great indi-film scene in my town, less so for comics.

How has social media changed your industry?

From a marketing point of view, dramatically!

What’s your opinion on crowdfunding?

Well, I’m new to the concept, but so far my first campaign on Indigogo is going well, and I think it’s an intriguing approach to getting your project out there. I’m receiving lots of positive feedback from contributors and it’s building an audience for my work. I haven’t discovered a down-side to it so far.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

I think the difference used to be clearer, budget and creative control, the line blurs these days, I have a hard time thinking of ‘The King’s Speach’, as an indi film, but thats how it’s described.

You could go back in time and see any classic graphic novel being made. Which would it be and why?

Not so much a graphic novel, but I’d have loved to be there when George Herriman came up with, and began working on Krazy Kat.

What’s your favorite super hero quote and why?

I apologise if I’m mis-quoting this, it was from Black Panther: Jungle action by Don McGregor and Billy Graham, a conversation between Tchalla (The Black Panther) and his wife: ‘Lovers don’t need critics’, and in reply ‘Critics don’t need lovers.’

You could have any super power. What would it be?

To ask for any more would just be greedy.

What is your opinion on movie remakes/sequels?

Some I can’t see the point of: ‘Psycho’ for example, but then again the recent remake of True Grit was a big improvement, and to be fair, they did go go back to the novel rather than just remake the first movie. Generally they suggest a lack of ideas, but not always. I do however dislike the trend of remaking foreign language films instead of giving the originals a wider release in the first place: The Ring, The Grudge, Let the right one in, being obvious examples. As for sequels, same thing, some are pointless, or just bad, others are better than the originals. I’d like to see sequels to classic stories, something different, rather than just an attempt to cash in on a success. I think a sequel to the recent version of Jane eyre could be very interesting.

What is your opinion on graphic novel to movie adaptions?

Graphic novels should be accepted as a medium in their own right not just as fodder for movies. If you are adapting then I’d like to see more non-superhero graphic novels adapted, like Road to Perdition, a history of Violence, Ghost World and American Splendour. As for the Superhero genre, I think Captain America is the most successful of the recent bunch.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

I recently watched a series by Brian Cox called Wonders of the Universe, and that just reinforced my view that the odd’s of Earth being the only planet with life in the universe(s) is miniscule.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thanks to everyone supporting my Indigogo campaign (http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Alchemists-Easel), and good luck to all the other creative folks out there pushing the envelope, and oh yeah, I’m not a royalist, but if we have to have a queen why can’t it be Amanda Palmer?

No comments:

Post a Comment