Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Screenwriter/Director Will Warner



Will Warner is founder of a small independent production house that was designed to meet the needs of the community, by creating programs which allows other local filmmakers, actors, and crews to showcase their talents in the industry.

I.C.E. Studios started out as an independent comic-book collective in 1995. Showcasing the work of many New Orleans artists with visionary series such as THE MYSTERIOUS SHADOW RUNNER, THE DYNAMIC B-STING, and THE EBONY ENFORCERS. Currently, I.C.E. Studios is in the pre-production phases of developing a feature length version of its popular comicbook series THE SHADOW RUNNER.

In 2007, Will Warner changed the direction of I.C.E. Studios by becoming a non-profit organization designed to educate youth on how to utilize healthy self-expression through the use of a variety of media, i.e., film, radio, and television production. Participants in the program would gain actual hands on experience during production of the popular live action internet series, THE BLACK GHOST. With the help of the many supporters that were accumulated, I.C.E. Studios moved forward in its efforts to educate both children and adult alike in learning how to change their perceptions of the world around them, and to become active and contributing members of an ever-evolving society.

It is Will's firm belief, that in order to make positive change in a persons life, there must be opportunity. However, most people follow the concept that there is no opportunity to change or grow, this is very evident especially here in New Orleans, because there are many who have developed a sense of "learned helplessness". They have lost connection with available resources, and developed a belief system that there are not enough caring individuals and organizations to provide them with their basic human needs. We see this in our urban neighborhoods, and in the behaviors of our children. They have lost hope, and have nothing to believe in. I.C.E. Studios means to assist in changing that perception. Thus was born THE BLACK GHOST.

THE BLACK GHOST was meant to be a symbol, as most comic book superheroes were intended. I wanted the BLACK GHOST to be a living, breathing hero that both kids and adult alike, could look up to and aspire to be like in both ideals and attitude. THE BLACK GHOST is a hero that doesn't engage in physical combat in order to defeat his foes. Instead, he utilizes the gifts of his intellect and supernatural abilities to solve cases, and take down the bad guys in a very non-violent fashion. This is what made the BLACK GHOST such a popular character, especially among parents.

Now, the first film in our series TALES OF THE BLACK GHOST is a darker, more violent story, but it has a purpose. It's meant to show, that even "superheroes" are flawed, and must choose the path that they take. 

What is the current project you are working on?

Currently, I am in post-production of a suspense thriller entitled THE BRIDGEWATER MURDERS, and I am in the development stages of the first installment of a series of supernatural action films entitled THE BLACK GHOST, which tells the story of a hero that has been chosen by Fate to battle an ancient evil in order to save the world. Award-winning film director Art Camacho has signed on as Co-Director/Fight Choreographer. I’m also working on an epic superhero film, THE SHADOW RUNNER (Not to be confused with the Chris Hemsworth film of the same name). I’m still in the process of attaching talent to that project, but some of the names already attached are Kee Chan, Tawny Cypress, and we are looking at Shemar Moore for the lead.

How do you handle rejection?

I would say that I handle rejection fairly well. I’ve always used rejection as a means of inspiration. I hate it when someone tells me that I “can’t” do something, because “it’s not viably marketable” or “it will never go anywhere.” I guess I just like to prove people wrong, inasmuch as I like to prove to myself that I can do whatever I set my mind to do.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I guess you could say that. I was always fascinated with cinema, especially after the first time I say Gaslight starring Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer. I’ve always loved classic films, and I would often find myself imagining myself in the director’s chair, working with the giants of the industry. I would always try to figure out how certain effects were accomplished. When I first came to New Orleans, at the age of 15, I joined my high school’s video club, and I guess that’s where it all really began for me as a filmmaker. My first film, Handmade, won a tri-state competition back in 1984.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

As I said earlier, I love classic films. The film that inspired me the most was Gaslight. As time went on, I became more and more fascinated with the works of George Zuccor and Alfred Hitchcock. I was also a huge fan of the B-Movie genre, and would stay up until the wee hours of the morning watching old Hammer Horror films, as well as old Japanese Monster movies.

What is the best thing about being one?

The best thing about being a filmmaker to me, is that I get to tell stories that will engage the audience on a very deep, and personal level. It’s kind of like sitting around a campfire and telling stories to an old friend, and watch them as they go on this journey with you. It’s very rewarding when you know that you have left an indelible mark on someone, and that they will take your story and share it with others.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Hmmmm…I guess I would have to say, money and time. The difficulty in finding the money needed to make my films, and there never seems to be enough time in the course of a shooting day to get all the shots off. Oftentimes, despite have a well written shot list, there will be shots that I see in my head that I want to try, and so my team and I have to make adjustments in mid-stream.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I’ve worked on four projects, not including the two 48 Hour Film projects that I competed in, and Michael Bay’s PEARL HARBOR. I was the Public affairs Officer for Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, and was involved with coordinating the use of the USS Lexington for the film.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Now that’s a tough question. There are so many that I’ve looked to for inspiration, but if I had to name one in particular, it would have to be Alfred Hitchcock. I have watched almost every film he’s ever made, including the silent films. One of my favorites is THE LADY VANISHES. He was truly a master in his ability to draw the audience in, take them on this rollercoaster ride of intrigue, and just when you think you’ve figured it all out, WHAM! He had a true understanding of the human condition, and to watch him work was like watching a game of chess being played by a genius.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

My life hasn’t really changed all that much, with the exception that now, when I go to the movies, I’m not going for just the entertainment factor anymore. Instead, the theatre has essentially become a classroom for me. I’m going to learn, to analyze, and if I’m entertained at the same time, then that’s a good day for me.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

I guess the best advice that I could offer to anyone wanting to make it in this business is, “Don’t give up.” I’ve spent the better part of my adult life as an artist. I’ve hit the target a few times, but I haven’t really hit the bullseye yet. But, I don’t let that fact deter me from my goal. I’m confident in my abilities, and I would say to them, “Be confident in yours.” Learn all that you can, and never become complacent in your knowledge. Be open to suggestions, and listen to what your cast and crew have to offer. Oftentimes, we let ego get in our way, and I hear a lot of directors thinking that they know it all. But if you’ve only been a director for a year, and you’re working with an actor or other industry professional that has 20+ years in the business, it might be beneficial to listen to what they have to say. There is no greater teacher than experience.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I like to read, play video games, spend time with my family. Mostly, I find that I enjoy cooking more than anything else. I love to watch as my family sits down at the dinner table and enjoy the dish that I’ve prepared for them. Being Creole, you can imagine that I’ve got a ton of recipes that I try on them.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Well, aside from being a filmmaker, I am a former Navy Petty Officer, and I am currently the Clinical Director of a Partial Hospitalization program that treats individuals suffering from Chronic Mental Illness.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

My favorite American films would have to be the entire Harry Potter series. My favorite foreign film is Like Water for Chocolate, and my favorite television series would have to be Heroes.

How would you describe your film education?

My film education came from my own personal desire to learn the business. I’ve surrounded myself with many industry professionals and veterans of the craft. I listen to them intently, and I trust their advice.

What is the casting process like?

Much of my cast for my projects have been friends that I’ve worked with for years. These are people I trust and know will give me 110% once the camera starts rolling. I like to fancy myself as the Adam Sandler of sci-fi. However, as I continue to move toward becoming a seasoned filmmaker, I have begun to open myself up more to the standards of the industry, including holding auditions. Contrary to popular belief, there are many, many talented actors here in New Orleans that are often overlooked for principal roles. I hope to change that with my films, and as my studio grows, so will their careers.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Very competitive. There are some really gifted filmmakers here in New Orleans, and I am proud to be able to work with many of them.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Well it has given us an opportunity to get our work out there and seen by mainstream audiences, and to network. Once upon a time, you would be hard pressed to find and connect with those like yourself in this industry. Now, it’s a simple matter of a Google search and a Facebook connect. It also give us an opportunity to learn the tricks of the trade from one another. You can now actually ask someone, “hey, what lens did you use on that shot?” or “What program are you editing with?”

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I think it’s fabulous. However, it’s still a crap shoot. You might raise the money you need for your project, and you might not. It all depends on how you market your product and how you sell yourself as a filmmaker.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

I think the big difference between independent film and mainstream film would be that independents are allowed more creative freedom, and don’t always have big studio executives stepping on their toes, forcing them to alter their scripts or hire talent that is clearly wrong for specific roles. Independents can make their films as they intended.

You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

That’s easy. Republic Pictures 1941 Serial “The Adventures of Captain Marvel”, which to date is one of my favorite serials of all time. Despite the noticeable differences in the story of the serial to the comic books, it was very well written and engaging. Captain Marvel has always been one of my favorite comic book superheroes, and I’ve always felt that he has been overlooked and the most underutilized. I would just love to witness the film techniques used, the costuming, and set designs.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone, “I’m your huckleberry.” It’s just the coolest line ever delivered, and to this day, I still don’t know what the hell a “huckleberry” is supposed to be. But the way he delivered it made you think, “this guy is either completely nuts, or a total badass to refer to himself as a fruit.”

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Remakes are fine, if they are done with the same beauty and grace that the original held. If someone were to do a remake of Casablanca, could you find an actor that could deliver as powerful of a performance as Bogart, or look as radiant as Bergman? Would the film have the same depth and meaning as the original, or would it just be a remake in name only? What bothers me are the constant reboots of films, such as Superman and Spiderman. Why do we need to see the same story that we just saw a few years ago? I want to see something new. I don’t want to see General Zod escape from the Phantom Zone again, I want to see Darkseid attacking Earth. I don’t want to see a combination of Sam Raimi’s version of Spiderman, with the 70’s live action television Spiderman. I want to finally see the Lizard attacking, or Kraven the Hunter. Do we really need to see another origin story? I’m just saying.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

That depends on the book, I guess. There are hundreds of films made based on some wonderful literary works, but of course the films are a stark contrast to the book. One of the things that perturbs me the most, is when a studio makes a film based on a long-running comic book series, and you get all excited to see the film. You buy your ticket, get your popcorn, settle in your seat, and within the first 20 minutes realize that this film is going to be one of the biggest disappointments of your life. I hate when studios take all creative control away from the writer, and place films like that in the hands of directors that have no clue about the history of the characters, and so they make these ridiculous changes that strip the character from what he/she were originally intended to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment