Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Writer Ryan Gavan


Ryan Gavan is our most recent member to join Tamirfilms. Mr. Gavan was born in New Jersey and moved around quite a bit as he was growing up. Having lived in New Jersey, Nevada, Washington, Boston and Florida has given Ryan and interesting peek into many different types of people and an insight into character development for future projects. While studying music at Berklee College of Music, Ryan also earned a degree in business at Eastern Washington University before moving to Los Angeles to focus on screen writing full time.




What is the current project you are working on?

 

I am working on a short film called “Silcencio” which is being produced by Tamir Yardenne from TamirFilms. It is a brutally honest story about child abuse and being bullied.

How do you handle rejection?

 

I worked in sales a long time before I got into film so I learned a long time ago not to take rejection personally and it is just a part of the gig.

 

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

 

No, initially I wanted to be a professional musician and maybe eventually score a film.

 What inspired you to become filmmaker?

 

I fell in love with movies after my first trip to the theater as a kid to see “Return of the Jedi,” but my fiancĂ© is the one who really encouraged me to pursue screenwriting. I had told her once about an idea I had for a film and she really liked it and remembered it. About a year ago she signed me up for a screenwriting class and has been my champion ever since.

 What is the best thing about being one?

 

Having someone read what I wrote and respond to it and want to help me bring it to life is probably the coolest thing on Earth. Plus I get to meet lots of cool, interesting people who have the love for movies as  I do.

 What is the worst thing about being one?

 

So far, I don’t have any complaints. I have only been screenwriting for about a year. I have had a blast and look forward to many more productive years.

 

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

 

Well, I have “Silencio” and we are raising funds for now. I am working on a drama spec myself, which I am writing the second draft and a comedy spec with a partner, both of which should be done in the next few weeks. I have about 5 or 6 other ideas that I have began outlining so I will be busy for a while, but like I said it is so much fun, it doesn’t feel like work.

 

 Who is your favorite filmmaker?

 

There are so many filmmakers I admire. I love the way Aaron Sorkin makes his characters talk to one another. His words flow like music. I like Lawrence Kasdan’s characters because they always seem like people I already know. I love the visual style of Steven Spielberg and how he manages to make every one of his films personal on some level. I love how Michael Mann has a way of making the settings for his films almost like they characters. I could really go on and on but I won’t bore you

 How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

It has been more fun, that’s for sure!

 

 What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

 

Don’t be afraid of hard work and you need to be willing to listen and work well with others because no one makes a film alone. Film is a collaborative art and the more open to that you are the more work you can get done.

 

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

 

I love music. I have been a musician since I am 10 years old. I love to read. Good stories never get old. I love hanging out with good friends and laughing as much as possible.

 

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

 

I have worked in a variety of sales jobs. Everything from cell phones to hot tubs. If it had a price tag there is a good chance I sold it at one point or another. Like I said earlier though all of that experience has helped in filmmaking.

 

 What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

 

My favorite TV show right now would have to be “Sons of Anarchy.” Kurt Sutter is a great writer and created a really compelling world with that show. I was a little late to the game on that one but once I found it I caught up on three seasons worth of that show in about 6 days. I just couldn’t stop watching it! Some of my favorite films are “Goodfellas,” “Star Wars,” “The Godfather” series, “A Few Good Men.” This could be a long list…

 

 How would you describe your film education?

 

My film education is mostly self-taught. I have taken a few screenwriting classes to learn structure and form but mostly my education comes from watching hundreds of movies and talking about film with other people.

What is the casting process like?

 

Casting for me can be a bit awkward because you have to judge somebody. As a musician I remember that feeling of sitting in front a bunch of people and putting myself out there. That’s what is one of the great things about Tamir. He is an actor so he knows how that feels, too and that makes it easier for me to deal with that. It is also really exciting to hear my words come to life by a good actor and to see how they interpret my words.

 

 How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

 

Well, I live in Hollywood so it is inescapable but I am ok with that.

 

 How has social media changed the independent film industry?

 

I think it has done a great deal of good for independent film. It makes getting the word out about your film a whole lot easier. The point of making films to show them to other people and things like Facebook make that easier.

 

  

 

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

 

 

I think its great! It’s a cool way to get a film produced and it makes the donors feel like they are a part of the process, too. Some of the comments we have gotten from our donors are proof to us that our film will connect with the audience because we haven’t rolled camera yet and they are just as excited about the film as we are.

 

 How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

 

It seems that there is more freedom in how the film gets made. There are fewer cogs in the machine and less mouths to hear from. So far, like I said I am new to all of this, the level of passion is really high. Everyone involved with our film is there because they believe in the project and the story. Tamir really has a way of conveying his passion about this project that is infectious. He sold me on wanting to write it just by how passionate he was about the subject matter.

 You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

 

Probably the first Star Wars film because of all of the new ground that film broke both in terms of filmmaking and film marketing. Without that film, Hollywood would be a very different place today I think.

 What's your favorite movie quote and why?

 

I don’t have just one favorite quote. My brothers and I challenge ourselves to have complete conversations with quotes from movies. We are those guys.

 

Do you believe in life on other planets?

 

Sure, why not?

 

Do you ever wish you had a super power? If so, what would it be and why?

 

A super memory so I could have bigger databank of characteristics to use in my scripts.

 

 What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

 

Remakes kind of get under my skin because the way I see it if the original isn’t broke don’t fix it. You aren’t going to make it better than the original. Sequels are fine as long as they keep the integrity of the first film

 

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

 

Who doesn’t want to see their favorite book realized in front of them? I hear avid readers complain about how things get left out of the movie version. There is a very important reason; books are very different from film. Converting a book to a screenplay is a daunting task. When it’s done well, both can be enjoyed.

 

Is there anything else you would like to add?

 

I would just like to thank you for taking the time to talk with me and for helping to get the word out about our film, “Silencio.”

No comments:

Post a Comment