Thursday, September 22, 2011

Filmmaker Beau Batterson


Beau Batterson is an independent filmmaker out of Waterloo, IA.  After graduating from Full Sail in 2005, he's spent the last six years working in various aspects of film and video production.  His latest project, 'BOO!', is a spooky children's tale about three trick 'r' treaters who stumble upon a haunted house one Halloween night.  The writer and producer of the award-winning film, Batterson is currently fundraising at indiegogo.com/BOOmovie to raise more capital for festival entry fees.


What is the current project you are working on?

Right now I’m working hard on raising funds for BOO! to be seen in more festivals.  BOO! is the kind of movie I liked when I was a kid, it’s weird and spooky but enjoyable for the whole family.  As of now, it’s only been screened at the Cedar Rapids Independent Film Festival, and it won the Gold Eddy for a Student Short Form.  Once we end our fundraising campaign on Halloween night, we’ll start submitting to more festivals.

How do you handle rejection?

Rejection is always tough, especially for an independent filmmaker.  When your budget is next to nothing, you end up wearing a lot of different hats.  With BOO! first and foremost I’m the writer and producer, but I’m also the editor, the unit production manager, first assistant director, second assistant director, craft services, transpo, hotel, etc.  When you’re that invested, and your film gets rejected, it’s hard to not take it personally.  But you have to find a way to say “this is why this happened, and this is what I’ve learned from it.”

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Somewhere there is a video from 1989, when my dad bought our first video camera, of a four-year-old Beau in He-Man pajamas telling him we need to make a movie.  I have always wanted to be a filmmaker.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

The earliest memory of realizing that films were made, and didn’t just exist, was watching some behind the scenes footage from ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit.’ There was Bob Hoskins interacting with floating guns and hand-cuffs and what have you, but the final product had him wrestling with Roger and hiding him from the weasels.  That was when I discovered “movie magic,” and I’ve been inspired ever since.

What is the best thing about being one?

The best part of being a filmmaker, which also produces the most anxiety, is watching your final product with an audience.  Especially an audience that has no other investment in the film other than they want to be entertained.  You can show your film to your friends and family, and they’ll laugh or jump and tell you its great, but there’s nothing like watching complete strangers react, and react appropriately, to your work.  It’s amazing.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Money.  Money is always the hardest part, especially for an independent filmmaker.  Working multiple jobs trying to support your family while keeping your dream alive.  It’s not easy.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

My IMDb page only lists about six different projects, but really I’ve done so many films both in school and more professional stuff that I've lost count.  I’ve done everything from feature films to shorts, music videos, documentaries, ghost hunts, weddings and funerals.  And in probably every department.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Usually my favorite filmmaker depends on the day.  Any filmmaker willing to take a risk is my favorite filmmaker.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Life probably would have been easier had I chosen a more stable career.  I do a lot of freelance film work, and there are times when I’ll have multiple projects piling up, and then I won’t have anything for months at a time.  Had I chosen to be something like a bank teller, where I knew my hours for the week, knew where and when I would be, knew where my next paycheck was coming from, life would be just dandy.  But I wouldn’t be happy.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

It’s a lot of work and a lot of sacrifice.  You’ll have to work when the work comes, which means you might have to miss some things.  Weddings, birthdays, etc.  It’s long days, weird hours, and only other filmmakers will understand why you do it.  But if you can surround yourself with people that support you, you’ll be alright.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Probably the best job I had before becoming a filmmaker was working at my hometown movie theater.  I was seventeen, working with some of my best friends, getting paid next to nothing.  But I got to see all the movies for free, which is really all I wanted.  Also, free popcorn.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

My tastes in things are a little everywhere.  I think Pixar currently makes the best films, not just animated films. Kind of like we strived for with BOO!, Pixar just makes great movies, not just movies for kids or movies for animation fans.  But I also love Japanese horror.  Probably because they’re not afraid to alienate the lowest common denominator by being too bizarre.

How would you describe your film education?

Formally, I went to Full Sail in Winter Park, FL where I received my Associate Degree in Film and Video Production.  It was a great time, I had some great experiences, and met a lot of great people.  In addition to that, I’ve learned so much by being on sets and working with other filmmakers like BOO!’s director Adam Orton.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

The Iowa film scene at the moment is pretty rough.  For a while, it was thriving.  We had a big state tax incentive that allowed lots of films to be produced in the state.  However, it was poorly managed, and resulted in numerous shady production companies milking the state for millions of dollars.  After that, the program was scrapped, and now all the films are going to either Michigan or Louisiana.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Social Media has been the best thing to happen for no-budget films.  With Facebook and Twitter, you can promote your film to so many more people than you could have ten, even five years ago.  With social media, we’ve been able to promote our IndieGoGo campaign to hundreds of people, and have raised half our targeted funds in just two weeks.  We have six more weeks to go.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

My experience with crowdfunding has been great so far.  We’re attempting to raise a relatively small amount, only $600, and mainly from friends and family.  IndieGoGo has allowed us ways to get the word out about BOO!, gave us a means to collect the money, and do it all from the convenience of a computer.  The downside of this is they take a percentage.  A fairly small percentage, but its still money that could be used for our film.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Independent film allows filmmakers to take chances.  It allows films to get made that are a little out-of-the-box, that maybe don’t appeal to the lowest common denominator.  Mainstream movies have to appeal to everyone.  It’s why love stories and comedic relief are shoe-horned into action movies made to sell toys.  Don’t get me wrong, there is a place for those movies, but independent film is where art gets made.

 

You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

There a couple of different movies from the late eighties I would have loved have been around, but as a kid.  I’ve always wanted to dodge the train from Stand by Me.  I would have loved to be a Goonie.  I would have killed to be in the Monster Squad.  And it would have blown my mind to be The Navigator.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

“To infinity and beyond!”  I know I’ve already disclosed by love for Pixar, but that line is just a powerful statement about film and animation.  There is no place we can’t go, there is nothing we can’t do, and if we work hard and keep dreaming, we can get there.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

There has to be life on other planets.  It would be naïve of us to think that in the vastness of the universe, that Earth is the only planet with intelligent life on it.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

I’m all for a sequel if there’s more stories to be told.  I firmly believe that Indiana Jones had more adventures in him after Raiders of the Lost Ark.  But his story was tied up, and The Last Crusade should’ve been his last crusade.  Remakes are fine because they bring old stories to new audiences, and some movies deserve to be remade.  True Grit is a great old movie that more people are aware of now that has been remade.  But A Nightmare on Elm Street is just as scary as it was in 1984, and it didn’t need terrible CGI.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Support independent film, and support local film.  One of the best ways you can do this is by going to an actual video store, especially independently owned ones, and renting a movie.  Forget Netflix, forget Redbox.  Those things are killing independent film.  Or, if you want a more specific way to support independent film, go to indiegogo.com/BOOmovie and support our film!  Even donations as little as $5 are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for doing  the interview Beau. I'll help spread the word about "Boo" I hope to see your film at a festival in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment