Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Filmmaker D.W. Kann



Darkside Films is an independent film production company founded by D.W. Kann in 2001.  We are dedicated to providing top quality content without the studio overhead and pride ourselves on being ‘fiscally responsible film makers’.  We create cutting edge material that pushes limits and appeals to specific audiences that Hollywood tends to neglect.  We are passionate about independent film and are continuously supporting fellow indie projects to ensure they are able to reach their goals and find success. Currently we are in development on several of our own projects.

D.W. Kann is the founder of Darkside Films LLC. Mr. Kann is a passionate filmmaker who has been working in the film industry for over 20 years. He has held various positions within the industry, starting as a prop master, make-up artist, art director and production designer, before moving into editing, producing and directing. He appears at numerous festivals and conventions every year to promote his work and has a growing community among horror fans.

Mr. Kann has successfully directed, produced and sold two feature films: Ancient Evil 2 (2005) and Prison of the Psychotic Damned (2006). The films were sold to Silver Nitrate Entertainment and York Home Entertainment less than nine months after principal photography.

Over the past several years Mr. Kann has worked in a varied capacity supporting independent film. In 2007, he joined forces with English companies Ironopolis Media/Night Creature Films to produce and edit two feature films that played theatrically in the UK for several weeks and were shown at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival. In 2009, Mr. Kann was on the Board of Directors for the First Annual Bram Stoker International Film Festival and continues to be involved at some degree annually. In 2011 he was courted to be a judge for the Shriekfest International Film Festival located in Los Angeles, CA. Los Angeles, CA. Mr. Kann just finished working with Matt Taylor on his "JAWS: Memories from Martha's Vineyard" coffee table book. Currently he is raising money for his film SEVER and prepping for a gallery showing of his photography work. More details to come."
For more information and a full history of D.W. Kann’s body of work in the film industry, please go to IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0437770/

You can also learn more about Mr. Kann and Darkside Films at the following links:


http://www.darksidefilms.com/


Twitter: @darkside_films


 http://www.severthemovie.com


Facebook: Darkside-Films


What is the current project you are working on?


- I’m always working on a few things at a time. Currently we’re raising finances for our feature SEVER, a psychological thriller. It's described with touches of Silence of the Lambs meets Clean Shaven with a nice slice of Twin Peaks


How do you handle rejection?

- I have a tough skin, you have too.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

- Never thought of anything else

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

- You know, I’ve always tried to think what sparked that moment. As I’ve gotten older, I think it’s a combination of still being a kid inside and wanting the adventures you could never experience in real life.


What is the best thing about being one?

- The happiest day for me honestly is when a project is funded and we can start. It may be a long road after that day. But before you get there, it's a million times longer.

What is the worst thing about being one?

- The the road that's a million times longer.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

- Quite a lot. I run the gambit from commercials to studio pictures and in-between.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

-  Growing up I would always change my favorite until I got older and stuck to a core four that I admire and respect: Werner Herzog, David Lynch, Orson Wells, Stanley Kubrick, Roman Polanski, Alfred Hitchcock, Michael Heneke and Larry Clark. To name a few."


How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

- As you get older life some times gets more diverse. So dedication goes into over drive to keep the fire going.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

- Dedication, true dedication if you don't have that, then find something else. Seriously, I can't stress that enough.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

- I love the outdoors, I spend a lot of time at the beach, hiking, mountain biking, chopping firewood. It gives you a perspective that you don't receive anywhere else. Letting your mind go to think creatively and to self examine.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

- To be a filmmaker, you need to be a Jack of all trades.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

- Man, that's a tall question. I'll just name what comes to mind first, otherwise this will be a long interview. Best TV: Breaking Bad, Mad Men and the 1st Season of Twin Peaks, there is nothing better, those shows are one long movie. No other shows do that. American/Foreign films I'll give you my loose top 10: Aguirre the Wrath of God, Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, Jaws, Halloween (1978), Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, Ken Park, Clean Shaven, Blue Velvet.

How would you describe your film education?

- Hands on, nothing is better

What is the casting process like?

- Usually through different social outfits like Model Mayhem or a shout out to friends I know. It depends on the project and who I write the films for.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

- We're growing, but not in a unified way really. We have two film festivals that show a variety of varied genres which is good. We have the rich and famous filmmakers who live here seasonally and local filmmakers like myself who are DYI. Being on an island it's tough, but always someone comes through when you need it.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

- It's the best Fanzine out there! Seriously, you can have Barbara Crampton or Bruce Campbell following you on Twitter or Facebook. It helps reach fans I never else would have had.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

- I love the idea, I think it gives people the power to become apart of a project they believe in. Though I'm switching over to a new site starting up, FunderThunder.com which offers more for it's members and uses paypal! This makes me very happy.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

- The amount of MONEY spent.

You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

- Ah, man now that's not fair, any of my top ten. Though the closest that I've been there was Jaws, my friend Matt Taylor just put out his book JAWS: Memories from Martha's Vineyard which I helped him on. I got to see images and video and hear interviews before the book was published. That was very special to me.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

- There's too many, but here is one from Aguirre the Wrath of God: "I, Aguirre, want the birds to drop dead from the trees...then the birds will drop dead from the trees. I am the wrath of god. The earth I pass will see me and tremble. But whoever follows me and the river, will win untold riches." I saw this movie when I was 12, it changed my life.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

- Hollywood has always gone through phases on how to make a buck. Originality was never their strong suit.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

- Some books and short stories have made great movies Shawshank Redemption, Carrie, Jaws for some examples. There are some movie adapts though I would have rather kept in my imagination.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

We are always looking for support, please visit www.darksidefilms.com

Thank you to all our new fan base which is growing every day!

- Keep it Dark 

No comments:

Post a Comment