Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sound Engineer Jerrell Brown



Bringing music, life and culture together in every beat that trickles down through his fingertips, Jerrell "Rel" Brown is undoubtedly a true urban renaissance man. Through his music Jerrell has been able to sever ties with the typical southern rap that may be expected of him without totally abandoning his original southern roots. Leaving all genres behind, Jerrell has created his own sensational vibe of music mixing eclectic, southern inspired R&B, hip-hop and soul. Through his creative genius and innovative technique of bringing new sound into the world of music Jerrell has set himself apart. For artists like Bubba Sparxxx, Yung Joc, Jeff B., Jason Weaver, Bohagon, Big Boi, Sleepy Brown and YelaWolf, Jerrell has been able to display his rare talent. As CEO and founder of Trak Atiks Music, this groundbreaking producer and savvy businessman is taking both music and the world by storm.

Jerrell began his crusade into the music industry at the young age of 9. It was love at first listen when Jerrell heard the kick drum and snare on various old records. Jerrell became fascinated with the idea that words could sync with different instruments and construct a song. Approaching the music scene out of appreciation for his favorite artists like Andre 3000, Cee-Lo Green, Sleepy Brown, Devin The Dude and Sade, Jerrell knew he wanted to influence others the way these artists influenced him.

Jerrell started Trak Atiks Music, LLC on September 1, 2006, focused on mixing genres and various eras of music together in a unique and creative way. While attending Georgia Southern University, Jerrell has transformed Trak Atiks Music from a brand into a movement, where artists and the fearless producer extraordinaire Jerrell "Rel" Brown bring music to life by exceeding the boundaries set before them. Born out of determination, sacrifice, struggle and hard work Trak Atiks Music is destined to set a new path in the music industry.

Jerrell "Rel" Brown continues to soar high, with inspiration from music pioneers the Dungeon Family, engineer Jimmy Douglas and producers Timbaland and Dr. Dre. A fearless leader and notable talent, from fascination to creation Jerrell "Rel" Brown is a true music legend in the making.

What is the current project you are working on?

I'm currently mixing and mastering upcoming projects for the Indie Label Extragrind Nation (@TrapSTAR1 @ArchieFleader @VinoExtragrind @CPExtragrind @Reup_Rio & @DuffelBagBruce), mixing and mastering records for two of Songbook Entertainment's most talented producers (@skmusic & @ArpegioFlo), handling all engineering duties for The Raign's (@TheRaign) upcoming album, and taking on a few production/engineering gigs here in Atlanta when time permits. Busy is an understatement.

How do you handle rejection?

I handle it well and don't take it personal. Every "No" and door closed only made me work harder at my craft. The same people who rejected me in the past are being invoiced by me now.

Did you always want to be a sound engineer?

Absolutely! I didn't know the specific name for it years ago, but I always knew that I wanted to be the person orchestrating and controlling the boards.

What inspired you to become sound engineer?

Necessity and the curiosity of how people made music come together. I've always looked at it as a puzzle that I couldn't put down.

What is the best thing about being one?

The enjoyment that I get from learning something new everyday and getting paid to do so. In a sense I'm getting paid to learn and get better!

What is the worst thing about being one?

Dealing with unprofessional people. It's a cutthroat business and you really have to be sharp at all times.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I've literally lost count. Somewhere in the thousands I suppose.

Who is your favorite sound engineer?

Myself

How has your life changed since you became a sound engineer?

Being an engineer over the years has changed me a lot. The biggest thing that it's taught me is Patience.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in your business?

Read something regarding the business of music every morning and every night. Form solid relationships with an accountant and attorney. That's a two for one!

What do you like to do besides sound engineering?

I love to play billiards, golf, and keep up with soccer. I'm an avid book reader, chess player, and poker player also. Besides those I enjoy time with my family and time at the beach.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a sound engineer?

Plenty. I worked at my local recreation department coming up as a teen and worked corporately for the state of Georgia for a few years during college. I've had experience as a day trader in the past and I've been investing for a few years now. I also do computer tech and consulting when I feel like it.

Did you go to school to become a sound engineer?

No. I originally planned on going to school as an athlete but ended up with a Business and Entrepreneurship degree.

How would you describe the music "scene" where you live?

It's picking up. A lot of the top players are my cousins or people I grew up with. I'm making sure I lend a helping hand where I can.

How has social media changed the music industry?

I think it's bridged the gap. Artists and labels no longer have to rely on the promo and marketing department to eat up their budget as much. Now they can connect with their fan base directly for free. I saw this coming years ago but no one listened to me as an Intern!

What's your opinion on crowd funding?

For someone in the Music Industry? It's an option. My only concern is "control." Each potential investor now has a right or say so in what they put their money behind. That can be a good and a bad thing. In my opinion of course.

What is your process for mixing a song?

It varies with each song. I usually listen to the rough mix while reading mix notes from the client to get a feel for the energy of the record. I take note of what I like, and what I don't like. More often than not I strip the song down to it's basic elements and focus on levels and spacing with basic fader blends and panning. Once I get

things in a groove and feel that I like, I start to focus on the sonics and sound that I want through filtering, compression, EQ, and effects. Everything after that is just a instinctual performance really. Especially the automation.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

They push the boundaries more. Just like indie music compared to mainstream music. The budgets are smaller and the stress of delivering a "hit" is often less so the creativity is more of the focus. That's all I really watch now, foreign indie films.

What's your favorite lyric and why?

I have too many favorites to quote just one! They all spark an emotion in me and are sincere though. If it's not genuine, I forget it. Genuineness, that's what captures my attention the most.

What is your opinion on song covers?

If they add something to the song that I never thought was possible I love it! If it comes off as forced I usually skip it.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I appreciate you for this interview! You had some really good questions. Other than that, make sure you check out my website http://www.trakatiks.com and Twitter (@trakatiksmusic). The official blog should be up as soon as I figure out what content to post. Ciao!

Thanks for doing the interview Jerrell.    All the best with your many projects. If your ever in the Boston area we should play a game of chess.

No comments:

Post a Comment