Monday, September 26, 2011

Actress Lauren Leonelli



Name: Lauren Leonelli

Title/Role: Lisa

What is the current project you are working on?

I am currently working on the role of Lisa for the web series "Deader Days".

How do you handle rejection?

I handle rejection selectively. Sometimes I am rejected for something or by someone and I feel completely un phased. Other times I will feel the effects of being rejected even before it happens. I think it's the anticipation of being let down that stings worse than the actual rejection. I'm sure this all depends on how I am feeling about myself at the moment.

Did you always want to be an actress?

I knew when I was very young that I liked to perform. I'm not sure that I articulated that into the desire to want to be an actress. I remember being young and wanting to be a nurse because I thought their uniforms were cute. So obviously that was a phase. I think I knew I wanted to be an actress when I was about 8 or 9 years old.

What inspired you to become actress?

I was really inspired by Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz". I remember watching her and thinking "I want to do that" and then going out in to my grandparents backyard and trying to find something that looked like a barn in Kansas so I could recreate scenes and sing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". Also, I was OBSESSED with her ruby slippers.

What is the best thing about being one?

The best thing about being an actress is the feeling of freedom when you really put yourself into a role and you're able to find a place where you're not in your head about you and you allow yourself to be honest in that moment and tell a story. It's not easy to do but when it happens, it feels powerful.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The worst thing about being an actress is the lack of job security. My brain works in a very organized and stable fashion so it's hard to let go of that when it comes to financial planning.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I believe I have worked on around 40 projects. That is an estimate I could be way off on either end.

Who is your favorite actor/actress?

My favorite actress is Meryl Streep. This is not a very creative answer but she really is the best. I admire her stillness and her ease. She is so much fun to watch no matter what type of role she plays. I really enjoy Robert Downey Jr's work as well.

How has your life changed since you became an actress?

My life has changed in ways that I never would have anticipated. I believe that learning how to become the best actor comes from being willing to show people what you look like in your most private moments. This takes a tremendous amount of honesty, on many levels, and you must be willing to learn a lot about who you are in order to show people the most honest parts of the real you. In my experience as an actress, I learned more valuable lessons about myself, other people and life in general than I did about acting techniques and tools.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Show up and be honest. It sounds simple but it really isn't. Once you can consistently do both of those things, then that's when you're ready to start making things happen.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

At the risk of making myself sound like a total dork, I love organizing and checking things off of a to do list. I like to spend time with my friends, I love my cat and I love to dance.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a actress?

I have had other jobs besides acting and some of them have been in retail, which I now know I am better in the other side of the register. I have many years of experience in child care and I am currently a nanny.

How would you describe your film education?

I have a B.A. in Theatre from The University of California, San Diego. I learned a lot about every aspect of theatre and the history but I did take some classes that focused on directors and film and television, which were always very exciting for me because at the time all of my experience was in theatre. Learning about the television and film industry in college solidified my desire to move to LA and have a go at Hollywood.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

As I said earlier I love "The Wizard of Oz". It's such a beautiful film and the story is eternal. I am a child of the 80's so I have a place in my heart for most of the John Hughes films. I think "Friends" is one of the best sitcoms in the history of television right next to "I Love Lucy", both of which I can watch reruns of for hours on end.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

I live in the Hollywood area so there are a lot of auditions and shoots happening near by. I notice that if you listen to people's conversations in restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores etc, 95% of things you over hear are phrases like "I just spoke with the director and he said..." or "I shot a scene in that film" or "Let me call my agent". It's all around all the time.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

I think social media has changed the industry in general. In particular it has changed the world of actors and film makers in the developmental stages of their careers by offering them a place to broadcast their projects that can then be seen by the masses in a matter of hours. This can then result in recognition and respect from the actors and film makers that have had higher levels of success. It connects the worlds together. It takes the excuses out of not having the right resources or enough funding and it's a motivator to keep producing work because it's so readily available.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

My opinion on crowd funding is that it is effective and it's an awesome way to get lots of different types of people involved in the process creating movies. I have had friends that have made films and used crowd funding to help with the budget and they have had great success. If you believe in the art of film making and the story behind a particular project, then why would you hesitate to help someone, even if it's in a small way, turn a dream into a reality?

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

I think that when you watch an independent film you can see the hunger and desire of everyone involved. Blockbuster studio films have a lot of people involved in what the final product looks like, and sometimes they turn out to be amazing history making films, but because independent film making comes across as a more intimate process to me, I think you can really see angst of everyone involved and that can help add that extra touch of fascination that you can't quite put your finger on...but you know it when you see it.

You could go back in time and see and film being made. Which film would it be and why?

I'm going to have to go with "The Wizard of Oz". It must be on my brain but I have heard so many stories about the making of this film. To see the sets, costumes and actors in real life would be incredible. I'm sure anything that Liz Taylor made in the 50's and 60's would have been fantastic to see as well.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Well, as a matter of fact I think I do believe in life on other planets. I think it's pretty self centered to think that humans are the only other life existing in the whole universe. I'm not saying I believe in whole other worlds...but I'm also not saying I don't...

Do you watch "The Walking Dead"?

I have not seen "The Walking Dead" but I have heard great things about it. It's something I need to watch. That will be put on my next to do list.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

Jim Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber"...the police officer says "Pull over" and Lloyd Christmas replies "No, it's a cardigan but thanks for noticing." Followed by Harry's "Yeah, killer boots man". I'm sure your were looking for some esoteric quote from "Citizen Cane" but this is the first thing that came to my mind and it makes me laugh. Nothing is better than that.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

My opinion on movie remakes and sequels is that of the majority of the population. They are usually never as good as the original. I can not currently think of any sequels or remakes that I enjoyed more than the first.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

My opinion on book to movie adaptions is the same as above. It's just never as good as it is when it's all being played out in your own mind. I guess there is just no way for someone who doesn't know your connection with the story and it's characters to retell you that same story and expect a better and more authentic reaction then when you first read it. It's almost impossible.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

If you like zombies and you want to laugh, then keep your eyes open for the web series "Deader Days" and become a loyal fan. You can find us on http://bit.ly/DedrDys if you would like to donate to the making of our project. You will not be disappointed!

1 comment: