Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Actress Andrea Shreeman



Andrea began acting professionally at age 15 in summer stock theater at Mill Mountain Playhouse in Roanoke, Virginia. She was a founding member of No Time, a sketch troupe still performing on the campus of George Washington University (now under the name Recess). She made over 75 appearances as various characters with The Standard Deviants, an educational comedy team currently airing on PBS.  Andrea has written and performed 7 one-person shows including Bambi’s Box which received glowing media notice and a win at 15 Minutes of Fem. She appeared on the second run of Comedy Central’s Make Me Laugh alongside comedians Scott Larose and Rick Overton. In 2008 she served as Director of Fundraising on the Sundance Award-Winning Documentary, Fuel.

Andrea co-wrote the feature film, It's a Good Day to Die, with Actor/Writer Gregor Collins. She posts a new 10 minute audio blog each week about the experience of self-producing her film at:http://bit.ly/10mintues.

Andrea holds an MFA in Acting from USC, has studied extensively with acting coach Larry Moss and is a Writers Boot Camp graduate. She tweets under the handle @fearlessactress.

What is the current project you are working on?

Putting together my first feature film, It's a Good Day to Die.

Did you always want to be an actress?

Yes.

What inspired you to become an actress?

The need for attention. Then, Saturday Night Live and 70's films that were rooted in story and character (before they had explosions) like The Champ and Kramer vs. Kramer. Then, Lily Tomlin.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Intense competition, frequent rejection and the very odd balance of being the audience's most valued part of a project and the producers' least valued part of the project.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

75

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Hal Ashby

How has your life changed since you became an actress?

Well, I've always been an actress so perhaps the question is, how has being an actress changed my life...

What do you like to do besides acting?

Yoga. Travel. Drink. That last one is a joke.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Relationships. Make friends. Help them out. Get involved and stay in touch.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Royal Tannenbaums, Kick Ass

Foreign: I'm not well versed but The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was devastatingly wonderful.

TV: Once you see "The Wire" you will know that no other TV show has ever been as good.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become an actress?

No. My first professional job was as an actress in theater. I remember in second grade when they asked us to come dressed as the job we wanted to be, I dressed as an OBGYN. Another girl dressed as a hooker, I remember her orange boots. It is my hope that she also found another viable choice of professions along the way.

How would you describe your film education?

Privileged.  Fresh out of grad school I was hired by Renee Taylor and Joe Bologna as their personal assistant.  I typed all of their scripts as they created them.  They hired me as "assistant to the directors" on a feature film, put me in that film and that got me my SAG card.  I worked lots of different positions on shorts and features over the years, including casting and art department.  I also produced a friend's 18 minute directing debut which won lots of awards.  And I worked as Director of Fundraising on FUEL which won Sundance in 2008.  That was an amazing experience because the film was 85% finished when I came on board, it was a masterpiece in the making and raised $ by itself.  I went with FUEL for the full 2 week Sundance experience, behind the scenes.  That was invaluable training!

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

I live on planet earth. Everyone has a camera and a Youtube channel. In Los Angeles, I would describe the film scene as "bifurcated" - it includes those who are in the industry, and those who are trying to get in the industry.

What is the casting process like?

Repetitious. The most important thing is to stay present. To stay in your body and to own the room. To me, the thing that makes this work most, is to let my character lead. That way, it’s not about me, it’s about the art


What's your favorite quote and why?

My favorite quote of all time is a quote from my dad. He used to say very often, "Andy, don't be a dick."

It's good advice all around.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Yes. Frankly, I'm tired of the human/American self-centered point of view. Everything is alive and everything has an intelligence. Animals are as smart as we are, many, smarter. If they weren't, they'd all be extinct by now seeing as it seems to be our mission to destroy everything non-human, including the environment. I'm pretty resentful about being alive at one of the stupidest times/places in human history. But I'll keep living and creating in the hope that my participation will eventually matter enough to make a dent in our stupidity.

Do you ever wish you had a super power? If so, what would it be and why?

No, but maybe I should. My super-power would be to ignore all judgment, including my own.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Seriously, why are you pushing my buttons?

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Almost always a winner.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Making movies is a gargantuan task. I'm grateful for the indie community that I've connected with on Twitter who supports one another and helps get the word out. There are a lot of resources out there, but the best resource is YOU. As the goddess Nike said, "Just Do It!"

Thanks for doing the interview Andrea. I like your  audio blog. It's concise and informative. Keep me posted on the progress of your film  It's a Good Day to Die.

1 comment: