Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Author Charity Parkerson


Charity Parkerson was born in Tennessee, where she still lives with her husband and two sons. As a pre-school teacher, she needed tons of creativity in order to not be eaten alive. Her love of reading, led to the creation of her fictional Agents of The U.S. Defense against Homeland Terrorism, the MMA fighters of Smith brothers fight club, the men of Smith Security Services, and the paranormal world of her Sinners Series. You can like her at Facebook.com/authorCharityParkerson. Be sure to visit her at www.charityparkerson.com and you can read her blog at http://charity-thesinners.blogspot.com

She is a member of The Paranormal Romance Guild, is a Goodreads moderator, a member of Coffee Time Romance, a member of Long and Short Romance Reviews, and is a Library Thing author.

She won author of the week in August of 2011, and The Mistress of the Darkpath writing contest in September 2011.

You can follow her on Twitter @CharityParkerso

What is the current project you are working on? 

I am currently working on two different books.

“A Splash of Hope”-Contemporary Romance

Faith, Harmony, and Serenity better known as the three Hope sisters…

Serenity Hope is set to marry the hottest bachelor in town, but when she leaves him standing at the altar, and disappears without a trace, Faith and Harmony must return to their hometown and face the demons of their pasts.  It is only as they follow the clues to Serenity’s whereabouts, which they find that the lives they left behind are the only life for them.

“The Danger with Sinners” book 3 of the Sinners Series- Paranormal Romance

The Society of Sinners and the Safe Haven Corporation team up in Parkerson’s third installment of the Sinners Series, in order to locate and capture head of Research Inc., Tacha Vasiliev.

Tacha is accused of using her company as a cover for development of a weapon of mass destruction, the ultimate vampire.

Caleb Cook, aka Danger, is sent to infiltrate the home of Sr. V.P. Narmer Harolds in hopes of uncovering clues to Tacha’s whereabouts.

Disguised as head of security, Danger finds his biggest challenge isn’t Narmer himself, but his headstrong daughter, Kim.

However, just as Danger is not what he appears to be, neither is Kim.

How do you set your book apart from other books in the genre?

My characters are not necessarily good.  I tend to write about people (or creatures) that have troubled past, or work unsavory jobs, but I try to find a way to make you love them despite it all.

What inspired you to become a writer?

As a teenager, I spent a lot of time writing poetry.  As an adult, I stayed at home with my children, and spent a great deal of time reading.  After awhile, I began thinking things such as, “I would’ve ended that differently,” or “I wanted her to end up with that other guy.”   Eventually, I began scribbling out my own stories.  I never intended to try for publishing, and I never would have, if my husband had not pushed me into it.  I, like most writers, felt very insecure about my work, and I really didn’t want people to hate it.  I finally sent it to a publisher, and to my surprise, they wanted it.  Since then, I have struck out on my own as an Indie, and I have not regretted that decision.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

I love sharing my characters with the world.  I feel a deep connection with each of my characters, since I put a little bit of myself into every one of them.  Moving a person to tears or laughter, gives me the greatest feeling of accomplishment.

 What is the worst thing about being one?

Promoting hands down.  I never dreamed that I would spend so much time working on promotions, that I would not have enough time to write.

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Keep writing and stay true to yourself.   Don’t let the opinions of others steal your voice.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I have 5 published books, and two more in the works.  I have a short story that won the Mistress of the Darkpath September writing contest.

What do you like to do besides writing?

I love to read and watch football.


Who is your favorite author?

I’m torn between two.  I love paranormal romance, but my all time favorite is historical romance, and I rush to buy anything Julia Quinn or Eloisa James.

 What are some of your favorite books?

This is such a tough question.  I own thousands of books.  Some of my favorites are the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, Velvet Angel by Jude Deveraux, and Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood.

How would you describe the writing "scene" where you live?

I only know one other writer in my town.  I am sure that there are several, but I tend to meet authors online.

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

It has definitely made it easier for a writer to get to know their readers, and to make friends with other authors, without having to be a member of pricey literary guilds.

What is your thought process like when you're writing?

I’m horrible to live with when I’m in the middle of a story.  I don’t sleep and I talk to myself.  I carry a notebook everywhere that I go, because my characters talk to each other while I think, “Oh.  That was good.  Let me write that down.”

 You could have any super power. What would it be?

Invisibility.  How much fun would that be?  :)

Do you believe in life on other planets?

I do.  I think the universe is too vast to believe that we are alone.  They are probably millions of miles away, just as oblivious to us as we are to them.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

It is a rare occasion that a movie does the book justice.  In most cases, I end up disappointed.

If you could have any first addition book. Which would it be and why?

As a romance author, I love all things romance, so I must go with Pride and Prejudice.  A copy sits at Chats worth house, and I’m not sure how much was paid for it, but I’m sure that it was a small fortune.

6 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    Thanks for featuring my friend Charity. She is a great lady! Loved the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Interview, now I know a little more about Charity than I did before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic interview! So proud of your! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great interview and author. Well done.

    ReplyDelete