Sunday, November 27, 2011

Author Marla Blowers



Marla Blowers, who grew up in a small town in Nebraska, spent much of her childhood on long vacations with her parents. In their RV, she would pass the time reading. Her love of travel carried over to adulthood, when she eventually moved to Arizona with her own family. She currently works for an airline, which allows her to satisfy her travel desires. Blowers's other interests include writing, horses, cycling, and various power sports. For more information about Marla and her work visit http://marlablowersbooks.com/

What is the current project you are working on? 

I am editing the second book in my Young And Naive, series. The title is Young And Naive, Daddy.

I know that is a strange title, and it isn't Daddy that is naive. *Big grin.*

It's about a young girl, Janeen, who finds out the man who raised her was not her biological father. She doesn't get to know her mother until her late teens. Janeen gets married and has twin girls who bring a lot of mischief to the story.

What inspired you to become a writer?

I have always enjoyed reading. I can remember in my teens reading True Romance magazine. A couple friends and I would write short stories back and forth, you know the kind. I would write a couple lines and they would write a couple lines. I have carried that tradition on with my grandchildren through email, boy do those stories get bizarre.

The reason I actual sat down and got serious about writing is not your typical reason. Like I said I have always enjoyed reading,  one day I was waiting in the car like mothers do for a child to get done with some sort of practice. I didn't have a book with me.  But I did have a notebook!  After that when ever I was waiting for a child to finish up with practice or rehearsal I sat there and wrote. Before long I was writing even sitting at home or relaxing in a boat. I have found writing is just as much fun, if not more fun than reading.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

You can be anybody you want to be, it's sorta like going to a costume party, you can do and say things you normally wouldn't because they don't know who you are.

 What is the worst thing about being one?

What a perfect place for me to thank you for inviting me. The worst thing being an author is trying to get your name out there. So I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this opportunity.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I currently have one published book. Young And Naive, Learning To Fall. was published August of 2011. I have written 3 more. I am hoping to have Daddy out on Kindle by the first of the year, and the paperback by spring.

What do you like to do besides writing?

I have an embroidery machine which I love to use on some of my sewing projects.  I just recently made both of my daughters new Christmas tree skirts. Traveling is also a favorite interest.  I haven't been out of the country for a couple of years but have enjoyed going to Costa Rica, Italy and even though Puerto Rico isn't another country it was very entertaining to say the least. I am basically an outdoor person, but there is no place like home.

What are some of your favorite books?

I just recently started writing down books I have read, I'm sorry to say I have forgotten most of them. As I come across them I am adding them to my list. But here are a few I can remember that moved me.

The Deep End Of The Ocean

My Sister's Keeper

Flowers In The Attic

 How has social media changed the publishing industry?

It has made it so much easier to get books. For instance, when I was sitting in the car all those years ago with no book, I could have download a new one right onto my Kindle. Of course I didn't even have a computer back then let alone a kindle. There are so many places to get an e book.

What is your thought process like when you're writing?.

I become the characters and have a hard time bringing myself out of the writing mode. It's like living a secret life.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

This is the easiest question. I would love to fly, and quite often do in my dreams.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

No but I do believe in life after death and reincarnation.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

I like to read the book first and not the other way around. You learn so much more from the book. You can get into their heads and know what they are feeling. I have seen some movies that if I hadn't read the book I wouldn't have a clue as to what was going on. Dances With Wolves is an example, I loved the book. I think it would be such an honor to see your novel you worked so hard on, made into a movie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for doing the interview Marla. I'll do what I can to spread the word about your books. I love to interview authors and review their books. Please tell your friends about me and my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment