Friday, November 11, 2011

Filmmaker And Communication/Development Manager For The Sidewalk Film Festival


This week, Rebecca will start a new job as the Assignment Manager for WAAY-TV in Huntsville, Alabama. Most recently she was the Communication Manager for the Sidewalk Film Festival and during the off season co-directed/produced her first short film titled CRUSH. Before that Rebecca worked in Television News for 13 years at various stations around the country.

What is the current project you are working on?

I am working on a short film titled CRUSH - One woman's quest to find the perfect chair. The film tells the story of relationships...each chair representing a different type of relationship.

How do you define success?

Success is what you make of it. It's setting your goals and going for it. You can tell say to yourself that you want to do something, but it is doing it that makes you successful.

How do you handle rejection?

With my relationships or something else? Rejection is a part of life. You may not also get want you want, but you learn from those experiences and gain knowledge on how to do it better next time.


What inspired you to become involved in the independent film industry?

I have always had a love for film. I worked in TV news for 13 years and working in that environment you tell stories everyday. You bring that persons story to other people.

How has your life changed since you became involved with the film industry?

The biggest change is just the people that I have met over the years, it is great meeting new people involved in film and hearing their stories about their journey doing something they love.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to create your film "Crush"?

CRUSH was not my full time job. I work in the TV News industry and have been for 13 years. And for 2 years I was involved with the non-profit that produces the Sidewalk Film Festival.


Do you think doing PR/marketing for the  Sidewalk Film Festival gave you a unique perspective when it came to creating your film?

I think it gave me pointers on how to submit to festivals, how to talk to the staff working the festivals and seeing how other filmmakers market their films.


What are some of your favorite films you saw at the Sidewalk Film Festival?

Too many to list!! My favorite film of the year has been PAGE ONE: INSIDE THE NEW YORK TIMES, which I had the opportunity to see at SXSW this year (and was Sidewalk's closing night film). This is my personal favorite because it told the story of an industry that I was in for so long and really hit home, to paraphrase David Carr in the film "the newsroom turned into sheet cakes and good-byes"


What was it like hanging out with filmmaker Sean Hackett and film critic Nic Baisley at the festival?

This is an odd question. Sean and Nic are great folks. Nic I got to meet at SXSW and Sean I met through Sidewalk because his film HOMECOMING was screening. I don't get to "hang-out" a lot at the festival - I think someone nicknamed me "drive-by" this year, because I was so busy running around making sure the festival was running, didn't have much time other to say hi and bye. Sean is one to watch - he is a great filmmaker and will have a huge career and is a geek which I loved - it always made my day to see him in some sort of Star Wars t-shirt. Nic is a great journalist and a fun person to be around. You should check him out at filmsnobbery.com


What is one piece of advice you would give to someone who wants to become involved in the independent film industry?  

Just do it. Honestly just do it. I kept saying to myself for years - about 7 - that I want to do this...and you know what I finally did. You have to keep your chin-up and make sure you are always networking, you never know who you are going to meet next.

Who are your favorite filmmakers? 

Too many to list. Every filmmaker brings a different thing to the table - we are all artists.

How would you describe your film education? 

None - I went to school to go into TV News, but along the way met people that were making films and got involved in any way I could. If that meant just holding a script for an actor - I did it. Don't let not having a "formal" education in film to stop you from accomplishing your dreams. Learn as you go and get involved.


How would you describe the film "scene" where you live? 

Right now, I don't know! I just moved to Huntsville, AL. But Birmingham, Alabama has a great group of talented filmmakers. It is a great place to be, where you are surrounded by so many creative people. It is a great group and I am happy to call them friends.


How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Network, network, network. Social media gives you a place to meet and interact with people you would maybe never meet. I have so many people that I would call friends that I have met through Twitter, but have never met in person. It is always a treat when you do finally get to put a voice and face to someone you have been talking to for years. With any industry it is about networking and getting to know other people that are involved. Did I say networking?

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Yes. The universe is way to big and there is so much out there that we have not yet discovered. We are gains of sand on a tiny rock. Have you seen the images from the Hubble telescope????


What's your favorite movie quote and why?

"Enough now, enough" Love Actually. Makes my heart tight everytime.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows:

Gosh...lets see...I love so many. I am a huge sci-fi geek - so name one and it is probably on my list. I love watching all types of foreign films and anime films....I don't think I have seen one I didn't like. It is really cool to see what filmmakers in other countries are doing too. TV Shows...man....okay I guess I will give you a small list: Community is my current favorite comedy show, and I am looking forward to checking out some of the new dramas coming up this fall and really hope that FOX schedules Locke & Key soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment