Sunday, November 27, 2011

Filmmaker Dave Lehleitner



Dave Lehleitner is a filmmaker specializing in scifi. Originally from New Mexico, he is now in Los Angeles finishing his MFA in Film Production at Loyola Marymount University.

He has worked in the industry in various aspects, but mainly for TV movies and low budget commercials. He also works in production design and set construction, but ultimately, like everyone else, wants to direct.

Check out David's website at www.davelehleitner.com

What is the current project you are working on?

I'm working on my graduate thesis film, Reclamation, a post-apocalyptic scifi short.

How do you measure success?

At this point in my career, a pay check is success. Working, creating content, any content, and receiving enough money to cover rent is stunning success in my book. However, hopefully the day comes when my expectations grow and I really start to see my filmmaking as both business and art.

How do you handle rejection?

With plenty of alcohol and a long shower! But seriously, you just have to keep focused, and think about the short term. Just keep moving. Any movement is movement towards your goal, and you have to believe that with your heart in the right place and enough brutal, grinding, hard work it will pay off.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

No actually. I always liked doing little videos, and did a lot of theatre stuff growing up, I wanted to play in a rock band until I realized I couldn't play worth a damn.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I was in college, a history major, and hated it. I did teched concerts and theatre shows, running sound on the side for “fun.”  Then they started making movies in my native New Mexico, and I thought if I liked live shows film sets might be fun. They were even better. I was hooked on being on set and making movies before I was on the idea of being “a filmmaker.”

What is the best thing about being one?

Making movies! For me its being on set, and the people you work with, big shows, small shows, its pretty much the best job out there.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Again, making movies. Its the greatest and somehow the worst thing at the same time. The sheer amount of stress and worry involved in a project is enough to make any sane person find a different career, but at the end of the day, its the only thing I could ever do.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

That depends on how you define “project”. If projects mean theres a script and a camera and its gets edited and ends up either online or some small screening, then I've probably crewed a hundred or more projects in some capacity. If a project has a real budget, and full crew, and gets distributed in some form that number shrinks to about 10.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Hmm. Its changes pretty often but Alfonso Cuaron is absolutely amazing. Christopher Nolan too.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I don't remember what sleep is, and I feel paranoid and am constantly looking for potential problems. But on the plus side I get to work with the most amazing people in the world and tell stories. I get to live in LA and literally follow my dreams, so its a fair trade.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

I asked the same question of a prominent Producer I was working for, and he said, “At the beginning, its all about the work ethic. It's 90% work and 10% talent. As you move up it swings the other way.” It's all about being the person on set trying their best, day in, day out, all day long. And still having a vision, and the emotional energy to work on your own material. You gotta have both, the real, on set experience working in the industry and making money, but keep working on your personal stuff to, and hopefully someday the 2 meet.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I still love music and theatre. I wouldn't mind going back to being a live sound engineer- it's still stressful, but a lot less work.  Eventually I think teaching filmmaking would be great too.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Mostly in the Live Sound, tech theatre, broadcast world. I unknowingly took a lot of jobs that gave me skills that directly helped me become a filmmaker.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

American films- this year Drive really took me by surprise. I absolutely loved it, also I'm a huge fan of all Christopher Nolan's stuff.

Foreign films- I think the most interesting stuff in coming out of Sweden and Latin America. For whatever reason, I can't seem to get into all the cult Japanese and Korean films that seem to be the hot films for people my age, but movies like Let the Right One In, and The Secret In Their Eyes really blew me away.

TV- I've become a huge TV buff lately, I think my attention span is ever shrinking. I really like what the cable networks are doing with stuff like It's Always Sunny or Wilfred. My favorite show of all time is the incomparable Battlestar Galactica re-imaging, but I'm also into new shows like Hell on Wheels and Walking Dead.

How would you describe your film education?

Pretty intense. I went to NMSU, and changed majors to film halfway through, I was 1 of 7 first graduates of the then brand new film program, and felt like I had a strong technical education but needed something more creative. I made the decision to go to grad film school, and ended up at LMU- one of the top schools. So far its been great. Film school can be a blessing or a curse for some people, but for me it's absolutely given me the tools to be successful in the industry.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

It's LA. So the film “scene” is pretty much everything. Everyone knows Los Angeles has been having it's fair share of problems keeping productions in the area, and the amount of people who do nothing but sit around and talk about being “in” the industry is super annoying, but it's still the hub. All decisions flow down from those offices in Burbank. It's ground zero and you can feel it.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Honestly I don't see it playing a larger role than it does in any other industry. People use social media to connect. Filmmakers talks about films online. People into cars or politics or bead-making do the same. What will be really interesting is to see how the online world changes the format of content. Does a 22 minute TV show really make sense in a world where people are watching movies on ipads, pausing and taking breaks to do a million other things. Also, how do you monetize that? Can you sell ad revenue based of facebook posts or tweeter feeds? Social media is changing everything, but in terms of indie filmmaking, i.e. filmmaking without a pre-sale distribution deal, I honestly think it's making it harder on us. Everyone has a 7D. Everyone can edit on their laptop. More people making films just means there's more bad films wasting server space on youtube. It's easier than ever to make a film, but harder to get it noticed, so while social media can help generate buzz, I think people are pretty jaded by now to it. The simplest way is still the old way, just make a really good film.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

It's great. I used kickstarter for my thesis and raised $5000 dollars. I worry it's going the same way as social media, where now everyone is asking for money for a film, so I look at it as a way to ask people I know for donations. Rather than sending an awkward email to distant relatives or my dentist begging for money, I can send them to a slick video page and a trustworthy venue in which to donate money. Again, it's all how you use the technology but I think those sites, particularly kickstarter, can be the no-budget filmmakers dream.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

A film is really a script, actors, a director, and most importantly money. It's unfortunate but its Show Business not Show Art, and films cost a lot of money to do them right. An indie film is all about hustling to just get it made, everything's a struggle, and you just have to beg borrow and steal to make your day. Studio pics have comparatively all the money in the world, but it's a different type of struggle. When someone's paying for it, they get a say. And when they need to make that money back, they're going to be weighing what's creative and interesting and bold with what teenagers in middle America want to spend their money on. So either way you are limited creatively and have to make compromises. It's all about what you fight for and what you walk away from, and having the tact and tenacity to get as much of the film that you want to make up on the screen.

You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

I'm not a fan of the film but I would love to be on the set of Titanic- just to watch a giant megolith production that had as many problems as that set did, the sheer drama must have been amazing. I've worked with several people who were on that set and I always ask about the day someone put LSD in the soup at lunch- that would have been an interesting day on set to say the least.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

Pulp fiction “Zed's dead baby.”  Tarantino is a master at dialogue. He walks the ultra fine line between brilliance and camp so well.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Everything needs source material, whether its a newspaper article or family story, there's no such thing as a completely “original” idea. However, my god do we need to stop making remakes, sequels, super hero reboots and the works. I get it. The studios are scared and want to make sure their money will be recouped and American audiences simply will not take chances on original content like they will on established brands. But I think the pendulum is swinging the other way. All the sequels and prequels have turned into each other- and some of them have been gigantic financial failures. People are getting bored with it, but still, when done right, something like Inglorious Basterds or Battlestar Galactica- remakes can do amazing things.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Again its all source material. Is it a really good book? Will that book's narrative transfer well into film or will the screenwriters be making significant changes. If it's well done no one cares its based off a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment