Saturday, November 19, 2011

Author Leslie Ann Wright





Leslie Ann Wright is an avid reader and writer. She resides in the Northwest with her husband Terry. When she is not reading or writing you can find her with her daughters and grandchildren in either Tampa, Florida or Scottsdale, Arizona.

What is the current project you are working on?

I am working on several; the focus is an interesting take on the blades used in murder throughout the years, called the Karma Stone.  I am also working on an investigative sister team with paranormal abilities as well. It is yet unnamed.

How do you set your book apart from other books in the genre?

It has been said that there are never any new ideas, and yet I pick and poke until I find something that is unique or just a bit different. I try to imbue a freshness and newness to the work.

What inspired you to become a writer?

I have lived in books my entire life, they have been my passion and my escape, and they have been my adventure and my danger. I know how I felt when life was not at its greatest, and I could pick up a book and remove myself from any outside worries by becoming a part of the story. I think we all need an escape at times, and I hope I can do that for others.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

The glow you feel upon completion, but also the feeling you get when someone likes your work. It is quite euphoric.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The rejection letters and the reviewers that do not like your work is somewhat difficult. It is tough to put your all into something and have it rejected.  It is not always easy to remember that writing is subjective, not everyone likes everything, and we would not want that to be any different.

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Don’t wait. Now is a wonderful time to write, and we are on a new frontier with self-publishing, so even if you don’t get the proverbial brass ring with an agent or publisher, there are more options than ever before.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I would say between 12-15 stories, many of them still in the works. I actually have a short holiday story called The Christmas Star as part of an Anthology called Christmas Lites coming out on November 25th, all proceeds from the book will go to charity. Sponsored, and put together by Creative Reviews on Good Reads, the event should be exciting.

What do you like to do besides writing?

I also read and write reviews, I enjoy visiting with friends and spending time with family.

Who is your favorite author?

I am enjoying the work of Laurel Dewey, she has a great detective series, with just a little paranormal thrown in.

What are some of your favorite books?

The Last Unicorn is one of my all-time favorites; I really enjoy the Mist born series, and the work by Kelly Armstrong. I also enjoy the Noah Bishop series.

How would you describe the writing "scene" where you live?

Not very prolific. I have not met or found any writers closer than 50 miles away, and even there they are not yet serious and ready to move into print.

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

I believe it has created a new dimension in reading, but not all the books are done well. I do think it has and will change the publishing community, they are very set in the types of books to look at and work with, and I believe that with both self-publishing and the Social media, those that are great writers can still be very successful without the full trappings of a book contract.

What is your thought process like when you're writing? 

I follow the flow of my fingers. When I am writing I do not follow a process so much. The story flows and I am not sure where it is going. I am usually surprised at where the direction takes me. I have often tried to write work that is more contemporary and yet the paranormal seems to intrude.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

I would like to be able to fly. I think it would be amazing.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

I do, but then I believe in many things. Do I believe life on other planets is anything like our own, probably not.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

I believe it depends on the book. Some of them adapt very well to movies, and others are a bit more difficult, creating too much of a difference to hold the same fans.

If you could have any first addition book.

Which would it be and why? Call of the Wild by Jack London. Jack London was one of the authors that fired my imagination as a child and one of the muses to my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment