Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cheryl Dunn: Filmmaker And Photographer



Cheryl Dunn is a filmmaker and photographer based in New York City. Her films have played at numerous film festivals including Tribeca, Edinburgh, Rotterdam, Los Angeles and Havana, and on PBS. Her work has been exhibited in various galleries and museums including Deitch Projects in New York, The Tate Modern in London ,and the "Art in the Streets" exhibition at the Geffen Contemporary MOCA. Cheryl was one of the subjects the documentary, book & traveling museum exhibition “Beautiful Losers”. She has had two books of her photographs published - Bicycle Gangs of New York,and Some Kinda Vocation. She is currently in the final stages of a feature documentary "Everybody Street" about NYC street photographers.

What is the current project you are working on?

I am finishing up my feature documentary "Everybody Street " about NYC street photographers.

How do you measure success?

Having an idea and actually making it. Seeing it through. Having the guts to put what you make out into the world.

How do you handle rejection? 

It depends on how it is delivered I think. Rejection is part of life.  Not everything is for everyone. When I think back to all of the times I was rejected it becomes clear that those things I was trying to get maybe were not right for me.  Rejection pushed me in another direction that 10 years later I am very thankful for the path I took because of that rejection was more true to me.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I was very open to being anything that would keep my spirit free. That would enable me to have andventures and travel and be physical. When I was under twenty I wanted to be a professional dancer.  A modern dancer.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I look back and realize how all the family pictures and movies my mother made of us informed me a lot about having visual records of life and how enjoyable and interesting that was to me. I started taking pictures as a young teenager. In my 20's I starting assisting then shooting professionally. First as an assistant then for myself. Messing round with old 8 mm cams and bolex's. I think I liked the release from the still frame and incorporating many other elements like motion , music , story line .

What is the best thing about being one?

Well I do documentary, so the best thing about that is entering a world and learning so much about something that you didnt know before . The best thing about that is being let into someone's world, someone's head, their trust. That is a big responsibility and I welcome that because I think every human is equally important and their voices should be heard , not just people that are part of celebrity culture which is very twisted and guides a lot of the society. These are not the people who we should be following and learning from. This is not how society advances.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Carrying all the gear and how much it costs.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Specifically film projects? Maybe 80 or so ? Don't know.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Pedro Almovadar. Les Blank

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I never get a day off.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

I dont know. I have not really made it in the movie business. In general, think about why you want to do something. If it is for good reasons, go for it. It will takes years of your life so you should be sure. You can make little things in hours and days and you should always be making things and practicing your craft. You learn the most from mistakes. Better to make mistakes when the stakes are not so high.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Obviously taking pictures. I love to go to music festivals and take pictures and dance.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Photography

How would you describe your film education?

Self taught

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

I live in NYC. It is a creative capital for all things. In NY it is more about independent films. On a smaller scale everyone is making music vids and web films. The technology is so accessable now and print media is dying so it is all about the moving image.  Everyone is in the game.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

In a big way. More people can make them. You can try to self fund them. You can promote them. It is more DIY than ever before.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

It's a great idea. I'm doing a kickstarter right now.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Independent film is a term used for having things financed out of the studio system. The old models are changing so this definition is changing.

You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Any Fellini film . or early Terrance Malick film . Apacolypse Now, Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Fitzcaraldo

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

"What's the matter , never scene the sunrise" from the Taking Of Pelham 123

" I'm  walking here." Miidnight Cowboy .

Any thing from Putney Swope.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Don't like them, they should just reissue the first ones with sick sound and new prints. I mean they remade Shaft? Come on .. they do this for current generations as if young people need it to be updated . I think they bank on that the younger generation doesn't really know the earlier film.  I think they are underestimating the intelligence of people and by far they would have greater success just marketing the awesome first one.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Fine

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Sorry for the misspellings. I'm on a train to Belgrade right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment