Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Richie Moriarty: Actor, Photographer, Improviser and Writer



Richie Moriarty is an actor (richietown.tumblr.com), photographer (www.richietown.com), improviser (www.improvasylum.com) and writer living in Boston, Massachusetts. Originally from Rockville, Maryland, Richie is a graduate of Boston College. He spends his days working as a professional photographer and many of his nights improvising or performing sketch comedy on stage.

What is the current project you are working on?

I am currently in pre-production on a comedic webseries that I co-wrote with Matt Catanzano, a fellow actor from Improv Asylum. It's called "ETC: Employment Through Craigslist." While looking through the "ETC" section of job postings on Craigslist one day, we realized that there were enough bizarre postings to inspire a series. Each episode of "ETC: Employment Through Craigslist" is based on an actual job posting from the ETC section. We have raised over 50% of our funding for the Kickstarter project for the series (http://kck.st/oG966j) and are planning to shoot the first week in December.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

My experiences as both an actor and photographer have led me down the path of filmmaking, but I should say that I'm not primarily a filmmaker. I am an actor and a photographer who dabbles in filmmaking. Our Director of Photography, Chris Loughran, is much more of a filmmaker than I am.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

No, there were a couple of weeks in 1989 when I wanted to be Uncle Jesse from Full House. As you can tell from my headshot, that never panned out.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

I'm going to say Terrence Malick, but if you asked me on another day I'd probably give you another answer. I've been on a Malick kick in the last few months. I recently saw Badlands and Days of Heaven after watching Tree of Life and rewatching The Thin Red Line. I really enjoy all of his films.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I can no longer watch a film without being distracted by continuity issues. It's annoying.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Keep working. Keep creating. It's the only way we get better. I'm paraphrasing This American Life's Ira Glass. Here's his full quote, which I love: "Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through."

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I am an actor (richietown.tumblr.com), improv comedian (www.improvasylum.com) and photographer (www.richietown.com).

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

I volunteered as a teacher in Sacramento for a year after graduating from Boston College. I moved back to Boston after that year and worked a few desk jobs before realizing that I just couldn't do that kind of work. I felt trapped and stifled. I left a my job as a fundraiser at a non-profit to work for peanuts at a small video production company that a friend owned. I learned how to edit with Final Cut at that job and learned the basics of lighting, production, storytelling, etc. I had to leave about six months in because I needed money. The appeal of a steady paycheck led me back to an office job. That didn't last long. I now have a great full-time gig as a photographer with an architectural photography company. My schedule is very flexible and I'm able to take time off for acting gigs and other projects. I feel very lucky.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Some favorite American films are The Goonies, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Dumb and Dumber, "Trust Us, This Is All Made Up," Wonderboys, The Thin Red Line, The Shawshank Redemption, Good Will Hunting, Saving Private Ryan, Magnolia, When Harry Met Sally, and Rushmore.

Some favorite foreign films are Animal Kingdom, City of God, A Prophet, Amelie, Dogtooth, Bus 174, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Amores Perros, The Lives of Others, and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

My favorite television shows are Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Friday Night Lights, Modern Family, Community, 30 Rock, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Arrested Development, The West Wing, and The Daily Show.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Social media has made it infinitely easier for audiences to find films and for films to find audiences. Some of the viral shorts that I've been in have been viewed hundreds of thousands of times. There's no way that would have been possible without social media.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?


We're in the middle of a Kickstarter project that we're getting close to funding in full. I think crowdfunding is really great. It's been amazing to see the support come in from friends, family and perfect strangers that found us through Kickstarter. I think crowdfunding is a great way to really motivate a filmmaker to create high quality work. I think you tend to hold yourself to a higher standard when friends, family and strangers are chipping in to help make your project a reality.

You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

The Goonies. Spielberg, Chunk, Sloth, the Fratellis, and Cannon Beach in Oregon? Yes, please.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?


From Wonderboys:
James Leer: Now, that is a big trunk. It holds a tuba, a suitcase, a dead dog, and a garment bag almost perfectly.
Grady Tripp: That's just what they used to say in the ads.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

I'm okay with sequels if they tell a new, interesting story. I think remakes are generally lazy and motivated by money.

Is there anything else you would like to add?


We'd love you to donate to our Kickstarter project! Thanks! http://kck.st/oG966j

No comments:

Post a Comment