Monday, November 28, 2011

Author Maria Savva



Maria Savva is a writer from London, UK. She has published four novels and three collections of short stories. You can also find exclusive short stories by Maria in the BestsellerBound Anthologies. She is a resident author on BestsellerBound.com, a community of independent authors and their readers. An avid reader, Maria also writes reviews for Bookpleasures.com. Catch up with Maria's latest news on her official website: http://www.mariasavva.com

What is the current project you are working on?

I am always working on multiple projects. At the moment I am revising and editing my first novel, 'Coincidences' for a 10th Anniversary edition, which will include new scenes and twists in the story, although it will probably be an 11th Anniversary edition by the time I'm finished as I haven't had time to focus on it recently. My main project is editing my next novel, which is a crime fiction/psychological thriller. I am about half way through revising the first draft. I am sure there will be many more edits to come before I'm happy with it.

How do you set your book apart from other books in the genre?

I don't write genre fiction. My books are all a mixture of different genres; for example, my latest novel 'The Dream' is a paranormal/timeslip/mystery/romance novel containing drama and humour. My books reflect real life and real life can never be portrayed in just one genre.

What inspired you to become a writer?

I've always loved creative writing, from a very young age, and storytelling. I used to keep my younger sister up telling stories until late into the night. I was a bookworm as a child and always dreamt of writing my own book. When I read 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho, I was inspired to start writing my first novel. 'The Alchemist' is such a simple book but with a great message and is the type of book that has the power to change the way someone thinks about the world. It was definitely an inspiration to me.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

Without doubt it is the opportunity to network and work with other writers. Especially independent writers. There is such a vast community of indie authors out there and I've been lucky enough to meet so many talented and friendly authors online. The support and motivation I get from my author friends is fantastic. When I was growing up I could never have imagined that in the future I would be conversing with my favourite authors every day; it's a dream come true in a way.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Well, the worst part about being an independent writer, in my opinion, is having to edit my own work. It is such an arduous task. I love writing and even reviewing the first draft, which usually involves more writing, but after I have read my book over at least twenty times, I do find that I get frustrated with the editing process. A writer is a creative and wants to be constantly creating. When you are stuck reading the same story over and over (which is necessary if you are editing something correctly) it can get tiresome.

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Think about why you want to be a writer. It's not an easy life. It requires sacrifice, and takes up a lot of your time. You will need to spend hours on your own each day. Most writers do not make a profit from their writing and most will be lucky to break even. You have to love writing. Make sure you have a day job to support you. Join writers' communities. Network with other writers. Be willing to help other writers. Do not be in a rush to publish your book. Make sure it is a polished product before you release it onto the market. Use a professional editing service, especially if you are new to writing. Ask other people to read your manuscript and give you constructive criticism before you publish. Ideally your proofreaders should be people who have some writing experience and who will give you their honest opinion. Do not expect that you will sell any books. You may sell none in the first few years, and even after that your sales might be minimal. I would be surprised if I heard from an independent author who is actually making a living from their writing. I have met many authors over the years and none of them are making a living from their writing. Write about things you have experienced, or that people you know have experienced. Research your writing well if you are writing about a topic you have no experience in -- remember the person who reads your book may have experience in that subject and if it is incorrect you are opening yourself up to criticism. Make sure you are always working on your next book. There are lots more things I could say... maybe I should write a book about this!

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Including my short stories, the projects I have worked on run into the hundreds.

What do you like to do besides writing?

Read, listen to music, attend gigs, go to theatre and comedy shows, travel, watch reality shows on TV; I'm currently addicted to 'X Factor' and 'I'm a Celebrity Get me out of Here' (sad, I know), eating chocolate, hanging out on BestsellerBound.com.

Who is your favorite author?

I have several. At the moment I would say Darcia Helle. I met her through Bestsellerbound.com and absolutely love her books. I've become a fan of hers as well as a good friend over the past year or so. Another amazing writer I have had the pleasure to meet online is a new writer called James Everington, he writes fiction that he categorises as 'weird fiction'. I am a fan of his work. There are many other talented indie writers who have become my favourite authors over the past few years, far too many to mention! Of the more well known authors I would have to say Paulo Coelho.

What are some of your favorite books?

My latest book, 'The Dream'. I had to read it about 100 times while I was editing it, but I never got bored of it, and I have to say it's one of my favourite books ever. Sorry for the blatant plug, but I have to be honest -- I love the book. I also love 'Breathing into Stone' by Joel Blaine Kirkpatrick, 'Into The Light' and 'The Cutting Edge' by Darcia Helle, 'Metallic Dreams' by Mark Rice, 'The Other Room' and 'The Shelter' by James Everington, 'Oblivious' by Neil Schiller, 'Crooked Moon' by Lisette Brodey, there are so many others! Of more well known books, 'The Metamorphosis' by Franz Kafka, 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho, 'Dead Famous' by Ben Elton, 'Siddhartha' by Hermann Hesse.

How would you describe the writing "scene" where you live?

There isn't one where I live. In London as a whole, however, there does appear to be some interest in the arts and writing, although not as much as I would like to see. Independent writers are not really supported much, sadly.

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

Writers are there to chat with readers, we are accessible. In the past, writers were the invisible force behind a book, but now we are exposed. I don't really like that, but it's a necessary evil. I was attracted to writing because of the anonymity but now writers are expected to tell people everything about themselves. I'd prefer to stay anonymous if I had the choice, but if I want to sell any books I can't.

What is your thought process like when you're writing?

The writing flows and I am not aware of my thought process when I am writing. I do a lot of thinking about the writing before I sit down to start writing, and a bit of planning, so the stories are probably more or less formulated in my head by the time I start writing them.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

I'd like to be able to make myself invisible. Imagine the mischief you could get up to with that power!

Do you believe in life on other planets?

No. Although, having said that, there are some people I've met on Earth who I can only assume come from a different planet...

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

I think they're great. There are a lot of amazing books out there and it's wonderful that they can be adapted into movies so that more people can enjoy them. Some people don't have time to read, or just prefer watching something rather than reading it, so it helps to get stories out there to a wider audience. Most of the best films are those that were originally novels or short stories.

If you could have any first edition book. Which would it be and why?

I'm lucky to own many first edition books by indie writers. I'm assuming you're talking about classics? If so, then 'Alice in Wonderland' because it's such a timeless story that I've always loved, and the original illustrations are wonderful. Otherwise, 'The Happy Prince' by Oscar Wilde. That story has always been one of my favourites.

4 comments:

  1. I also loved ‘The Alchemist’ by Paulo Coelho. Great book and not surprised it inspired you.

    So good to learn more about you Maria,

    eden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice in Wonderland is one of my absolute favourites. Great inverview as usual, Maria.

    ReplyDelete