Sunday, November 20, 2011

Author Robert Collins



Robert Collins has had many novels published. He's had three SF novels published: "Monitor," "Lisa's Way," and "Expert Assistance." Mr. Collins also had a coming of age novel published called "True Friends." His stories and articles have appeared in periodicals such as Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine; Tales of the Talisman; Space Westerns; Sorcerous Signals; Wild West; and Model Railroader. Robert had two biographies published, one of "Bleeding Kansas" leader Jim Lane, and the other of a Kansas Civil War general. Six of his Kansas railroad books have been published by South Platte Press. For To find out more about Robert and his books check out  http://robertlcollins.blogspot.com/


What is the current project you are working on?

I’m always working on something. My most recent book is “True Friends,” a short YA novel.

How do you set your book apart from other books in the genre?

Really, it’s just as simple as, I’m the one writing them. I have my voice. Even if I write similar plots, my books will have my own personal spin. That’s pretty much what all writers should do. Tell the story you want to tell, the way you want to tell it.

What inspired you to become a writer?

I’d always been somewhat creative. I got hooked into science fiction and fantasy by “Star Wars” and “Star Trek.” Then I read a book, “Asimov on Science Fiction,” by Isaac Asimov. That turned me onto the idea that I could turn my creativity into being a writer.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

Learning that someone liked the story I wrote.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Being alone with your concerns, especially when it seems nothing is selling.

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Learn your art and your craft. Write every day. Have several projects to work on.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I wrote and published 9 travel booklets in the early 1990s. I’ve sold around 90 short stories and around 120 articles. I’ve had four novels published. I’ve had 12 nonfiction books published. All that doesn’t count the handful of novels, the dozen or so short stories, and the handful of nonfiction books I haven’t sold or published yet.

What do you like to do besides writing?

Read. Listen to music. I should be doing more with my model railroad, but I’ve been letting the hobby slide of late.

Who is your favorite author?

I really don’t have favorite authors, any more than I have favorite bands. I like books; the author doesn’t always matter.

What are some of your favorite books?

I’ve liked Lisa Shearin’s “Raine Benares” novels of late. Recently I’ve read a bunch of Robert E. Howard’s original Conan stories.

How would you describe the writing “scene” where you live?

Dunno. I know there are local authors in the Wichita area; I know a couple personally. I have no idea if locals like local authors. I recently did a Steampunk Expo here, and found that the people I met were pleased that a local was writing genre books.

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

I think it’s made it easier for authors to connect with readers. It used to be that the only direct connection came at events, like signings or cons. Now you’re just a Facebook post or an email away.

On the other hand, it is harder to find readers. Your book was published, and if the reviews were positive, readers found you. Now you have to look for them. I have to say, I don’t think I’ve done as good a job as maybe I should. But I’ll keep trying.

What is your thought process like when you're writing?

Before I type word one, I try to have an idea of the story first. I try to get the characters’ voices, and play the scenes out first. That way the writing flows.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

The power to convince people to buy my books without me having to be present.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Seems like a pretty big universe for us to be all by ourselves. Of course, that tends to make getting in touch tricky...

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

I would love for one of my books to be made into a movie, but I would hate to have it made into a bad movie. Otherwise, it depends; no two books or movies are the same, and neither are any two adaptions.

If you could have any first edition book, which would it be and why?

I’m not a book collector. One of the reasons why I lik my iPad is that I’ve been able to cut down on the number of physical books I have. For me it’s about the story, not how I get the story.


1 comment:

  1. [...] a new interview of me (well, it's been up for week or so) where I talk about my books: http://johnhoff3.wordpress.com/2011/...obert-collins/ Reply With Quote + Reply to [...]

    ReplyDelete