Sunday, November 27, 2011

Author Shawn Davis



Shawn Davis is a military spouse and the author of the book, The Spy's Wife. She is currently at work on the second book in the series. She promises that the wives of spies can be just as interesting as the spies themselves. Also, if someone tells you they are a spy's wife, they probably aren't.

Shawn watches mixed martial arts and boxing with a passion - and those discussions are almost always welcome. Answers to unasked questions, in no particular order, are as follows: Dan Henderson, welterweight, kimura, Steven Seagal, and ranger panties.

In addition to MMA and boxing, Shawn also has a soft spot for pit bulls, particularly her two rescue pit bulls named Ike and Mamie.

Yes, Shawn has children. No, they aren't perfect. But they are very cute, and she's not the only one that thinks so. She does not plan to participate in extended adolescence parenting, and already has plans for when they vacate their bedrooms.

What is the current project you are working on?

Right now I'm working on the sequel to my first book, The Spy's Wife. It doesn't have a title yet, but I'm pretty sure the word "spy" will be in there somewhere. Although The Spy's Wife deals with the direct aftermath (with a thriller twist) of the loss of a spouse in war, the truth is that the aftershocks continue to come. Book 2 deals with some of those things.

How do you set your book apart from other books in the genre?

For one thing, The Spy's Wife deals with someone on the edge of the intelligence community who is thrust into a position they have seen others live, but never expected to live themselves. I am a military wife, and that is a very different proposition from being the military service-member. However, our Venn Diagrams overlap quite a bit. The Spy's Wife deals with this issue, but in the espionage community.

What inspired you to become a writer?

I've always written! I was first published when I was five years old.I wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper, and he published it on the front page.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

I love telling stories. Whether they are true stories, or ones that only exist in my mind - I love telling stories and entertaining people.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The worst thing about being a writer is the publishing process. I understand the reasons agents and publishers are selective, but given some of the absolutely atrocious books I've paid relatively large amounts of money for on my kindle by legacy authors, I am offended. I see some truly amazing books for under $5 by indie authors, and I think, "You won't publish this, but you will publish THAT tripe? Just because you already know their name?" I don't want to pay Hilton money for a Motel 6 book, and I've done it way too often to trust the industry anymore. I think choosiness is one thing, but exclusiveness is another.

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Nike had it right - Just do it.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I can't even begin to estimate! I did a lot of journalism work.

What do you like to do besides writing?

Fight! No, really. I love MMA and boxing. I train in boxing myself, and my third daughter (11 years old) is a tremendously talented amateur boxer. I credit boxing training with keeping me sane when my husband is deployed to war zones. Hitting things is my medication. Also, I lost 60 pounds doing it, so it has side benefits other than than the zen like feeling you get after pounding the heavy bag.

Who is your favorite author?

Oh dear. Just one? I love too many genres! A list, maybe?

Historical Fiction: Sharon Kay Penman, Fantasy: Robert Jordan

Horror/Thriller: F. Paul Wilson, Espionage Thriller: Daniel Silva

I also grew up in California, in the Central Valley, so Steinbeck is very important to me. Hemingway writes about things that often remind me of my husband, I do love reading Hemingway. I could go on and on...

What are some of your favorite books?

I read Frank Yerby's book, "The Odor of Sanctity" so often it fell apart. And it's out of print, now! I wish I had another copy.

How would you describe the writing "scene" where you live?

I live in the DC metro area. Everyone here is writing their memoirs.

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

How hasn't it! Social media allows us to market our own books, and ourselves. We can make contacts more easily. But it's also easier to wander off and get lost. There's a definite trade off.

What is your thought process like when you're writing?

I see what I'm writing as a movie in my head. When I have an idea, I have to write it NOW, or I will lose it - the scene will be over and I won't be able to recapture it from memory.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

How did you know I love the series Heroes? I would want to be able to avoid illness. I hate being sick! I'm generally very healthy, so when I get taken out by something like the flu, it drives me to insanity. I have things to do, and I don't have time to get sick. Also, maybe the ability to make everything taste like chocolate cake.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

I'd have to defer to Dr. Michio Kaku on this one. He's much smarter than I am, and also tremendously entertaining.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

I love the movie Of Mice and Men with Gary Sinise. I hated There Will be Blood, which I know will make some people think I'm an absolute heathen. So I guess my only answer is, "It depends."

If you could have any first edition book. Which would it be and why?

The Gutenberg Bible. I have four children to put through college. I guess that makes me fairly mercenary, right?

1 comment: