Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hayley MacFarlane Interview

[caption id="attachment_970" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Photo by Campbell Irvine"][/caption]

Below is my interview with Hayley MacFarlane. If you want to donate to her film  Hummingbirds, you can do so by clicking here. Before you read the interview check out the video below.

[vimeo http://vimeo.com/24294325]

 

What is the current project you are working on?

I am currently working on a short film called Hummingbirds.  It’s a ‘coming of age’ film that deals with friendship, family, sexual abuse and ultimately decision making.  I’m also in post-production on a music video for band The Medics

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I’ve always been interested in films and when I was younger I really wanted to be an actor. As I got older though I became more drawn to the behind the scenes. 


What inspired you to become a filmmaker?


It was this amazing world that I was always drawn towards.  I can’t remember ever really deciding ‘That’s what I want to do’.  It’s sort of always been there inside me somewhere.


What is the best thing about being one?


Always being on your toes and no two days ever being the same.




What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on? 

Hard to say. However, as a writer/director I’ve worked on 3 music videos and 2 short films.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Sofia Coppola. She has such a beautiful way of telling stories and portraying life as she sees it.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Well, I’m still on the road to becoming one but it's definitely a lot more stressful however a lot more interesting!

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to
make it in the movie business?

Definitely perseverance. If someone tells you, you can’t, prove them wrong.


 

What do you like to do besides filmmaking? 

Reading, playing sport, going to band gig’s, and spending time with family and friends.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

I coached gymnastics for around 8 years after I stopped. I loved it and it has definitely helped me as a filmmaker; the discipline, working with kids, the mental mindset, perseverance and group work. 

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

TV wise I watch Entourage and Breaking Bad. Two of my favourite Australian films are Somersault and The Castle. I’m not a huge thriller fan however I love the Austrian film Funny Games by Michael Haneke. And American; Somewhere by Sophia Coppola.

How would you describe your film education?

It never ends. I try and pick the brains of the filmmakers around me as much as I can and really learn from their experiences. Going to film school has helps endlessly however I think the real learning comes from being on professional sets and surrounding myself by the people that are better and more experienced than me.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

There’s a nice mix of independent filmmakers keeping the scene alive however the fight to get funding and jobs seems to not be easing. With the Australian dollar being so high at the moment that also means that international productions are not coming over to film. It’s a catch 22 with the Australian dollar.


How has social media changed the independent film industry?


It’s really opened up that wall between writers, filmmakers and the audience. It’s easier to find out what audiences want and what they don’t want. Social media also comes into play in post-production. Marketing takes on a whole new approach with ability to reach more people on a tighter budget, which is great for independent filmmakers.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding and recent crowdfunding scandals?

Getting funding is a constant battle and filmmakers are forced to find new mediums to get projects funded. I think crowdfunding is great. It’s a way for people who wouldn’t normally have the opportunity to contribute to a film to do so.  It is of course something that needs to be monitored.

What is the casting process like?

It’s a lot of fun… at the beginning. I am constantly channeling the characters in the script and visualizing the auditionees in to that. If you’re really lucky you’ll get someone that walks in and blows you away and you just know they’re completely right for the part. I had that happen with my latest film.

My producer James Woods and I don’t cast someone unless we both agree they are right for the role. Having written the script its great to have opinions from people who have read the story and interpreted it in their own ways and envision the characters in their own ways.  


You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which
film would it be and why?

Does Moulin Rouge count? Otherwise The Birds, Alfred Hitchcock


What is your opinion on movie remakes?


I’m not a big fan. Its been done, do something new! If it’s a classic, it’s a classic cause it was great. Leave it in all its glory.

The one remake I do support is Haneke’s remake of his own film Funny Games 10 years after its first release.  He literally remade it shot for shot however he agreed to it in order to allow the film to open up to a much wider audience, remaking it in English. 

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

I love reading so I think it’s nice to see books made into films. It’s a pity when filmmakers don’t stay true to the book though.

 

Thanks to Hayley for doing the interview.  I'll be sure to tell people about Hummingbirds.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely young girl. She's got vision, enthusiasm, drive and she loves spending time with her family. You'd have to be mad not to hire her - or at least give her a go.

    ReplyDelete