Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Interview Mahogany J. Slide



Mahogany J. Slide, a 18 year old independent filmmaker and native of Greenville SC who just recently embarked on her directorial career. Inspired by a lifelong fascination with art, writing, and self expression she took the plunge into the world of filmmaking, both feet forward. She’s a self proclaimed nerd, lover of classic and modern science fiction, and has a passion for quality filmmaking well beyond her years. You can find her on Twitter @MJ_Slide. Check out her  production company website www.junkinkfilms.com

What is the current project you are working on?

Two actually. Co-writing and producing my first feature film under a collaboration with the Director of Photography from my debut short THE SAVING and rewriting a feature length sci-fi period thriller screenplay I've been working for some time now entitled Jersey Noise. 

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

No, I was one of those kids who tried on pretty much every profession before the age of 12. Architect one month, Astronaut the next. Though through it all my passion for storytelling and photography never wavered.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

My personal love of sceenwriting. A story that wouldn't leave me alone. And The Guerilla Filmmakers Handbook by my mentor Chris Jones.

What is the best thing about being one?



The power to take the story and images in your head and create something that so many different types of individuals can enjoy. The ability to force people outside of themselves and to consider new perspectives.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The long hours, the stress, the caffeine addiction, the constant struggle for perfection, knowing you'll never really achieve it, and the balance of being a filmmaker and still having some form of a life to speak of.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

4 or 5. I work a lot more projects then that but generally in consultation positions or screenwriting analysis.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Oh dear heavens, that's a tough one to answer. Honestly I don't think I can settle on one. My favorite old school Director is Orsen Welles for Citizen Kane, New-ish Director, Stanley Kubrick for A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Current Director, Joe Wright for Pride and Prejudice, Atonement and my favorite, Hanna and Indie filmmaker Gary King for his film What's Up Lovely.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Vastly. I work in entirely different social circles now or more accurately my social circles have expanded. My days and nights have gotten longer, I juggle two jobs instead of one and my boyfriend is getting quite used to our dates getting interrupted by important phone calls. 

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Be passionate, know your stuff, and don't be afraid to stand for what you believe in. Have a tough skin, learn to take advice and love what you do with your whole being. People notice the difference and they are drawn to someone who truly cares about their craft.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I read a lot, garden, collect samurai swords and nerdy infographics for my office wall, make homemade soap, hang with friends and looks like l might take up fencing come next semester.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Ran a home business for a while selling custom designed handmade soaps. Taught me a lot about connecting with others and tailoring a product to fit the needs of my client base.

Have you met many other teen filmmakers?

Yes, quite a few. All are at various levels of experience with many differing visions on what makes a good film. Its always interesting to strike up discussions with filmmakers in my age range.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

American films, love Serenity, Memento, Pride and Prejudice, You've Got Mail, To Kill a Mockingbird, Braveheart and a whole lot more.

Foreign Films, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, Let the Right One In, Au Revoir Les Enfants and What Time is it Over There?

Television shows, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Iron Chef America, Mythbusters.

How would you describe your film education?

Entirely self taught. I have never taken a formal film class or screenwriting class in my life. Its all been things I've picked up from first hand experience or learning from those who have come before me and along side me.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Its an odd one to say the least. I think a lot of people have really great intentions where I live as far as wanting to make indie films but sometimes they spend a lot of time talking about it with ideas that are a bit outdated. My hope is the fresh blood and new ideas filtering in from the younger generation coupled with the older generations' knowledge of the industry and both groups willingness to embrace the indie film mentality instead of trying to bring big budget films to the area might help put my hometown on the map.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Oh very much so. I wouldn't be having this interview with you if I hadn't been on twitter. Its opened up the world to multi state, country or continent collaborations that wouldn't have been possible ten years ago. Everyone is more accessible and whole communities can be formed online. Crowdfunding itself would be no where close to half as successful as it without the use of sites such as twitter and facebook.

What is the casting process like?

Varies per film. For my last short, it was a pretty straightforward process. Posted a casting call online for my two leads. Went through the resumes that looked promising, called them out to audition, chatted for a while just about themselves as people and then discussed ttheir insight into who they thought the character was as a person. From there I choose the best performances coupled with the best backstory insight and cast my leads.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Independent obviously comes with a smaller price tag and usually a lot less hype but what sets it apart of me is the fact that the stories told I generally find more personal and there are a lot of neat ways to connect to the people behind the creations. I look to indie film because it's constantly trying to come with ways of telling the stories they need to tell in a effective and generally thought provoking manner. Its the finger print films I love, where you can see everything wasn't perfect and it wasn't some “factory” made, big whig approved blockbuster converted to 3D in Post-production. I'm not saying all mainstream films are like that and I'm not saying they're aren't a whole lotta crappy indie films out there but that was the reason I was attracted to the medium in the first place. The work is genuine and without pretense.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be?

Citizen Kane for sure even though from what I've read/watched/heard Welles was rumored to be a real Nazi on set.

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

Red tailed Hawk.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Telekinesis.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

Unless the film happens to be as terrible as the first Incredible Hulk please leave well enough alone for a good ten years or so. I know so many talented screenwriters with just mind blowing stories to tell but Hollywood is content to rehash and or “reboot” the same ideas. I can't wrap my head around it. In the end, to them its about making money. I think its high time they decided it can be about both quality stories and the bottom line.

What is your opinion on comic book adaptations for film?

I dig comic books to begin with. Film adaptations are mostly a hit and miss for me. Best one I've seen so far in my opinion is Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. They'll continue to make em so I've resigned myself to the fact.

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview. I want to let everyone know Mahogany will be writing an article for filmcourage.com about her recent trip to the Seattle True Independent Film Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment