Thursday, June 30, 2011

Interview John Bosley



Born on an Air Force Base in North Dakota, John Wayne Bosley was named after the legendary actor John Wayne. At age seven he started writing short stories. By age twelve he was writing longer stories with more involved story plots and also his very first screenplay, "The Knight Story." This screenplay kicked off his film making pursuit. In 2001, Bosley wrote the script, which would later be the film: “The Allan Carter Saga Part I: Amnesia.” "Amnesia" took six and a half years from pre-production to completion and toured six theaters throughout Maine in 2008. Currently, he is producing the feature film THE HOUSE, which goes into production Sept 2011.

What is the current project you are working on?

I am currently working on producing THE HOUSE, which we are shooting in Sept-Oct. We’re currently doing a crowd funding campaign for the film on indiegogo.com

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I started writing since I was 7. But I didn’t realize till I was 12 that my stories were really just screenplay ideas. That’s when I wrote my first screenplay The Knight Story. Since then I’ve always wanted to make cinematic stories.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

My stories. Usually someone will mentioned a certain film or a certain filmmaker. For me it was always about my stories. I loved watching movies, but I don’t believe at the end I would have stuck it out this long if I wasn’t motivated by my own stories. I didn’t find myself drawn to the hype, popularity or money that people see in the Hollywood lifestyle. I just felt responsible to the stories that I wrote, that they needed to come alive on the screen.

What is the best thing about being one?

The reaction on the audience members’ faces. When a scene really works and they react accordingly, then you know you did your job. The other one is having a positive influence on cast and crew members. It’s not just about the project, it’s about the people you brought along. A film, at it’s best is the “flavor of the month”, but if you made a positive influence on the people you worked with you can have a legacy which has greater value.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The loss of time. Time isn’t money. Time is priceless and every second you spend on a project, whether it is made or not, is time spent. I wish filmmaking wasn’t so time consuming. I’d love to spend more time with friends and family. But this is what I do.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I made one feature: The Allan Carter Saga Part I:”Amnesia”. I also created AWAKENING which is a micro-pilot for a TV show that we hope to make. I am currently finishing up the micro-pilot Foreshadow that we made for The House (which will be released online for free in August). And I am currently producing The House, which is being shot in September.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

I don’t have a favorite filmmaker, but favorite films. I love Psycho and The Birds for their use of suspense. I love Signs for it’s use of the “deumont”/climax. I love the Michael Mann version of The Last of the Mohicans for casting, use of nature, cinematography, music and screenplay. I love Star Wars IV for it’s simplicity and epic-ness without going over the top like today’s films.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Do some serious soul searching. Find out why you really want to do this. This is one of the hardest businesses to bust into. Everyone you meet in this business is fighting to find their big break twice as much as you are.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Spend time with family. Listen to music. Read books.

How would you describe your film education?

I tell people I graduated from the “James Cameron school of film“. People look at me odd after saying that. He didn’t go to film school. He owed so much money for his degrees in History and English that he had to teach himself. So he went to UCLA and read every text book they had. Then he borrowed people’s thesis papers and photocopied them so he could teach himself everything there was to know. If you want to know how to make a film, find the books, teach yourself, write your screenplays and make it happen. You only learn by making your own mistakes.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Michigan went from number #3 for a state with the most production to almost no production overnight with the new governor. We had a ton of enthusiasm for this new industry, then it dissolved. There are still some films being shot because they were OK’d for the tax incentive prior to the new governor, but things aren’t the same. But I gained something valuable. There are tons of cast and crew people in this state hungry to break in and make a name for themselves. I have connected with a ton of them. I am seriously impressed with the cast I found for The House. They are perfect for the characters I had designed. The situation may not be great for the industry in this state right now, but I have found exactly what I need to make my next film happen.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

It has created interaction between filmmakers and the audience and has helped to create more bonds amongst the people who make the films.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

It’s a tool. The tool doesn’t revolutionize the business. What you do with it can. I think if you network right, give people a proper understanding of your vision and cause you can gain support. But just because the tool exist doesn’t mean it’s going to work for anyone.

What is the casting process like?

I’m very interactive. I don’t have people just read lines. I have them do many different improvisational moments. I have people read for characters opposite than what they wanted, to see what they do in different situations. I also have a tendency as an actor to also read lines with the actors as well which is unique from other directors.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Independent is driven by story vs. mainstream which is driven by trends.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Star Wars IV. Everything changed after that one was made. I liked how the vision he had was impossible but they found ways to make it happen.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

“As you wish”- Princess Bride. It was a simple statement with a hidden meaning.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

Don’t. Period.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

The two forms of literature are completely different and need to be seen as such in the screenplay form and on the screen. Books tell people’s thoughts, they describe things. Movies are a story in pictures.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

People who want to get involved in The House can go to http://www.indiegogo.com/The-House-film-1

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview.  I hope we can do another interview sometime after September, when shooting has wrapped. I'll be sure to spread the word about "The House".

No comments:

Post a Comment