Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Interview With Adam Berry and Sarah Linda

Below is my interview with Adam Berry and Sarah Linda. For more information on Sarah and Adam click on their names above. Follow Sarah and Adam on Twitter  @Sarah_M_Linda  and @AdamBerryActor

What is the current project you are working on?

Adam: We are currently working on a Short Film called 'Losing It'. It is a tale of desperation, manipulation, love, and naivety all in one. I play Dan, who is the lead character and I am in a relationship with Kelly. You meet us in a pub, on a very strange day...I can't really say more than that as it will begin to give away the story but I promise you it will be worth watching their day unfold.

Sarah: Adam and I are both producing and acting in 'Losing It'. Currently we are towards the end of our campaign for funding through a website called Indiegogo, we are selling producer packages for people passionate about our concept and those wanting to be a part of Losing It, receiving IMDB credits along with other goodies for their contribution, if anyone is interested they can become a part of Losing It here http://www.indiegogo.com/losingit

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Adam: No. I actually have only ever wanted to act. I figure this is a means to that end. When I came out of Drama School, everything was very much in the air, and to keep me busy I started doing some short films, and the results were pretty amazing. So I figured, why don' I just start making my own that I can act in? Keep myself busy, keep on top of my craft and keep experienced. It's so easy for actors to moan and blame their agents for lack of work and things but in this day and age if you want to do it, you have to do it yourself.

Sarah: Similarly to Adam I also went to Drama School and am a professional actress. Being a film maker you have more of a say in the creative process where as an actress you are in the hands of the Director. Adam and I had worked on a couple of short films together and decided we wanted to create one ourselves using our own ideas.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

Adam: I love telling stories. I love making people enjoy themselves, and I can only hope that my performances do that.

Sarah: I love film and wanted to create my own short that takes the audience on a journey and makes them think. I enjoy the art of film making, there are so many people involved in their separate roles, so much money and time and all that work ends up in this final product that you can be proud of and many can enjoy!

What is the best thing about being one?

Adam: The constant surprises you get. When one person you have never met says, that film was great. I really liked your work. That is all you ever want, and hope for.

Sarah: Like I said previously, to create a film that moves people and that can be seen in many years to come and hopefully still have the same effect. I love being creative and being a film maker you can be very hands on, days vary and you get to work with lots of interesting people.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Adam: Getting everything done. So much goes into making a film, and it is a really long and slow process. You really need to make sure that every little detail is covered.

Sarah: It's stressful! You work under a lot of pressure and to tight deadlines.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Adam: As a Producer. Two. As an actor, I have no idea. Around 50.

Sarah: I don't keep count, it's got to be around 40. Some I have worked on for a day some over a month.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Adam: Probably Shane Meadows. His work is something to behold. He works so hard on gritty story telling, and really appreciates the work of an actor.

Sarah: Mike Leigh and Christopher Nolan.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Adam: I think my blood pressure has gone up a little!

Sarah: My roles have become more varied I could be publicising the film one day to working on the visual elements the next. Every day is different!

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Adam: Don't. Or if you are going to. Make sure it is your number one priority. You cannot produce a film if it is only in the back of your mind. It has to be driving you crazy all day every day.

Sarah: Do it if you love film, if you are prepared to work for free in order to make contacts, gain experience and learn the craft. You need motivation, passion and lots of ambition. Make sure you make the right impression and go the extra mile, a lot of it is about who you know. I think you make your own luck so make sure you are brave and approach the people you need to.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Adam: TV Shows: The West Wing. It is like watching the theatre in a box. Really a superb piece of television making.

American Film: Probably American History X. It tells such a good story, and at the heart of it has some sublime performances. That or Juno. For the exact same reasons.

Foreign Films: City of God is pretty good. But it has to be everything Guillermo Del Torro has made.

Sarah: Foreign film? I love The Motorcycle Diaries by Walter Salles.

American films, theres a lot! Into The Wild, Romeo and Juliet also they do comedy best, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Superbad and I Love You Man are a few of my favourites.

TV shows? The recent Walking Dead was pretty awesome! The Inbetweeners, Misfits, Summer Heights High, Green Wing, The Office, 90210, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood.

How would you describe your film education?

Adam: Basic. I'm not a huge film buff. I love acting. And the education I have had in that is pretty unique.

Sarah: Asking questions and keeping an eye and ear out! I have acting training but no professional film education. I have learnt on the job and made sure I make the effort to learn. As for my film knowledge I am getting there! I read magazines such as Empire and Total Film and talk to film buffs!

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Adam: In many ways it has made it a lot easier to make, and spread the word. Crowd Funding sites are pretty amazing things. But then we have all the other stuff like Twitter, and Facebook, and it is great to clog up your feeds with progress, and it keeps everyone involved in your project who is interested in it.

Sarah: It is more accessible through social media sites, you can drum up a lot of support and publicity through sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

What is the casting process like?

Adam: For our film it is pretty simple. But in general, it is definitely worth taking the time out to get it right.

Sarah: As an actress i have experienced both sides of this! Most of our casting for 'Losing It' is through our contacts and actors we know. Casting can be a tricky process, a lot of the time it goes down to looks if you fit that role however sometimes someone unexpected can enter the audition room blow you away and see the role from a different perspective challenging your ideas.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Adam: Money. It changes everything. If you can get a mainstream film budget into the Independent Film World then I think Cinemas, and UK Film making would be better off for it.

Sarah: Obviously the budgets are different, Independent film doesn't get the budget of a blockbuster so sometimes the production values are lower. However independent films are often passion pieces as the film makers create emotive stories which they feel strongly about. Some mainstream films are made purely to make money so sometimes the story lines are weak and the movie sells due to an in demand actor playing a role, the SFX or if it's 3D, they try and get the punters in. Obviously this is not always the case but i feel Independent film usually are made down to the film makers love of film.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be?

Adam: I have been on some pretty big budget film sets, and so would love to avoid films that have a lot of green screen creation and things. I think probably A film like Hook where everything is there for real. Plus it is an awesome film, with a brilliant cast. But I would have to say to sit next to Hitchcock making North by Northwest would be pretty good.

Sarah: Ben Hur would be pretty incredible with all those horses! Or maybe an old MGM film with all the dancing-girls and glamour! You can't beat old Hollywood!

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

Adam: A dolphin. I would love to swim around the world. Do flips, and go really really really fast.

Sarah: A big cat or a meerkat!

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Adam: To turn things into gold. That would really help with this business.

Sarah: To transport. To be able to click my fingers and jump across the other side of the world. Fancy a day out in the Serengeti or a shopping trip to New York, easy. Want some sun? I would be in Oz in a flash!

Do you believe on life on other planets?

Adam: I don't think so. I'm not a huge Sci-Fi guy, but I just don't think it is there. Not like ET anyway...

Sarah: I am sure there is life out there but I don't believe in the generic 'alien'. There may be plant life for example and maybe a form of bacteria but to have another Earth out there? I'm not sure.

CHECK OUT THE SHOW REELS FOR ADAM AND SARAH:

[vimeo http://vimeo.com/22465763]






Thanks to Adam and Sarah for answering all my questions. I'll be sure to let everyone know about 'Losing It'.

No comments:

Post a Comment