Monday, June 6, 2011

Interview With Brendon Fogle

Below is my interview with Brendon Fogle. You can follow him on Twitter @bfogle75 .





What is the current project you are working on?

I’m currently working on SYNC, my first short film. I wrote the script last fall, and embarked on a crowd-funding campaign last month. The cast and crew are in place, and we’re shooting in July.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Coming out of college, that was my goal. Life took me in a different direction; finally, thirteen years later, I’m returning to my intended path…sort of. I teach high school during the day, and imagine I will continue to do so, unless I can somehow make a living as a filmmaker.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I have stories in my head, and movies are the way I want to tell them. I also enjoy visual arts, creating, and working with artistic people…plus there are so many talented people to collaborate with, and no one “right” way to make a movie, so it’s fun to explore all of the possibilities.


What is the best thing about being one?

I don’t know if I can call myself a filmmaker yet…but the best part for me is being part of a driven community, and seeing hard work come together.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Two or three. I’m still a rookie.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Werner Herzog. He tells the stories he wants to tell, and they are always unique and compelling. I’ve yet to see a movie of his that I didn’t like.


How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

The biggest change has been in my daily routine. I'm a single parent, and I teach, so my filmmaking work is usually done early in the morning before my regular day starts. Consequently I don't stay up late or go out. It's hard to have a few cocktails, then get up early and be sharp. Maybe someday filmmaking will be my day job!

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Work hard…consistently.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

American: Pulp Fiction, Magnolia, Wild at Heart, Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, A Woman Under the Influence. Favorite foreign: City of God, The Bicycle Thief, Man Bites Dog, Aguirre the Wrath of God, Woo's Hong Kong stuff. I don't watch a lot of TV. I do love Curb Your Enthusiasm, Human Giant, and The Office.


How would you describe your film education?

My film Ed has been a combination of reading books, watching movies, and YouTube tutorials for tech stuff. I majored in creative writing, and often refer to my back to the authors I read back then. I think too many writers now ignore classic literature. Your storytelling can be one dimensional if all you do is watch movies, and copy the same paradigm used by everyone else; especially now that most movies are copies of copies of copies.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

The Northwest film scene is a small and tight knit group. It’s not at all Hollywood, and I think it has its own indie sensibility that’s unlike any other. Without access to the same level of resources that more prolific film towns have, Northwest filmmakers get the most out of what’s available. There are some cool local festivals to screen films too.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Social media has made it easier for filmmakers and artists to find each other, and share information. It’s a great tool, and those who use it well can successfully raise money and make films, with the support of the audience.


You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be?

Fitzcarraldo. I’d love to see Herzog shoot in the middle of nowhere, and get that damn riverboat over the mountain.

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

A honey badger…they’re badass, and they don’t give a shit.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Flying.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

I really don't like the idea of remakes…I think it's lazy filmmaking. Ernest Hemingway would've never considered rebooting Hamlet. If you're going to tell a story, tell your own. There are certainly elements common to any good story, and definitely use those...to create your own story. The True Grit remake was great, though.

What is your opinion on comic book adaptations for film?

It really depends. If they’re done well, like the Dark Knight and Iron Man, they can be great. Generally, though, they aren’t. As a fan of the Watchmen graphic novel, I’ll never forgive Zack Snyder for turning it into a marginal action movie. Watchmen isn’t terrible, but it doesn’t match the epic scope of Alan Moore’s vision. The story was perfect the way it was, and with any adaptation, if you change the story, you take a big risk.


Thanks for doing the interview Brendon. Check out Brendon's crowdfunding page for SYNC here. There  are a lot of cool perks when you donate to the campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment