Thursday, June 9, 2011

Interview R. Scott Leisk

I  had the opportunity to interview  the Writer / Director / Producer of Mahogany Sunrise. For more information on Scott and his film click here. Follow Scott on Twitter @scottleisk. Follow @mahoganysunfilm on twitter.  Check out the film on Facebook hereThe interview is below.



What is the current project you are working on?

Mahogany Sunrise is my current project. It is a neo-noir, romantic action drama that was inspired by the Mexican Girl Chapters of Jack Kerouac's On The Road and Jean-Luc Godard's classic film Breathless. Essentially it is a hip, lovers on the run story with themes of greed, arrogance, chance encounters, finding love, taking chances and following your heart to do what you're meant to in life. Two star-crossed strangers happen to meet, inspire each other and fall in love. In the end their love must survive greed and the relentless pursuit of those that want to kill them.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I've always been fascinated with film and how it can transport you into another state of mind and place. It wasn't until college that I really decided that I wanted to write and direct films.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

While attending college I took two courses that changed my life and outlook on film forever, Italian and French Cinema. I became fascinated with the different style and tone of these films from the Neo-Realists to the French New Wave.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I've written and directed multiple video projects and a short film. Mahogany Sunrise will be my first feature film.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

That's a tough question, because I really like so many different directors. I like Michelangelo Antonioni, Federico Fellini and Jean-Luc Godard and their films from the 1960's. Modern directors I like are Wes Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, Darren Aronofsky.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Well, I haven't become a filmmaker full-time yet, I still have to work my day job. But there is always hope.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Persevere, don't give up even when everyone says you can't.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I enjoy listening to all kinds of different music, gardening and spending time with my wife and kids.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Yes, I currently work as an Network Engineer and Information Assurance Officer in the IT field.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

American: Darjeeling Limited, Braveheart, Office Space, Dazed and Confused, Kill Bill 1&2

Foreign: The Eclipse, 8 1/2, Alphaville, Cinema Paradiso

TV: American Pickers, History Channel, Lost, Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

There is a great support network on Facebook and Twitter of filmmakers, producers, actors and other artists. I think it has really opened up the world for everyone to share ideas better.

What is the casting process like?

It can be fun and it can be a nightmare. You will receive headshots from people and then they arrive for the audition and they look nothing like their photos. Other times they'll come dressed and perform the scene exactly as you imagined as was the case for my actress Camille in my short film Last Night I Fell Again. She wore the perfect outfit to the audition and she not only got the role but it was the outfit she wore for the film.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Scraping for money and people doing trades the normally wouldn't on a large set. In other words, people wearing multiple hats.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be?

Fellini's 8 1/2. I would love to see him direct and follow him through the pre-production phase to the final edit to understand his thought processes.






 

 



I'll have to check out 8 1/2. You're the fourth person to mention it. I will be checking it out. I'll be sure to tell people about Mahogany Sunrise. I'd be happy to review Mahogany Sunrise, just throwing that out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment