Thursday, June 16, 2011

Interview Christina Brooks

Below is my interview with Christina Brooks.  If you want to donate to her film Abigail you can do so by clicking here.    As always, enjoy the interview.



What is the current project you are working on?

I am currently working on my very first short called Abigail. I am extremely excited about this project since it is the first screenplay I’ve ever written and I am making it come to life with the help of some incredible people. I am extremely confident that this short will turn out beautifully because I have a very talented and wonderful director named Renata-Green Gaber attached to it and I know she will make this movie magical!

The short is about a young college graduate named Abigail who has the whole world in her hands. When she is confronted with two different choices she must make a decision that will change the course of her life forever. Choices are presented to us in life every day and we must take heed on what our decisions will be, for each choice there is a different consequence. I am showing this in my short with Abigail’s life. We are ultimately the only ones responsible for our own lives and it is up to us where we will end up.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I’ve always been rooted in acting and knew that I wanted to inspire the world being an actress. Now I feel like I can inspire the world not only acting, but with creating the film as well. So to answer the question I never really thought about being an actual filmmaker until recently, and I think it’s brilliant!

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I would have to say my teacher’s at Playhouse West. Playhouse West has been a very inspirational school that encourages us actors to write our own screenplays. They give us endless resources to help us along the way including an actual screenwriting class. They also have the Playhouse West Film Festival every year which gives us students a place to showcase our final product. It truly is inspirational to watch fellow students making movies and it gives me the confidence to so as well.

What is the best thing about being one?

The best thing about being a filmmaker is that it adds extra layers to my creativity. I’ve always loved to write and now I can utilize that and create projects that I am excited to work on. It‘s wonderful for me as an actor as well because I can write roles that challenge me and that I enjoy playing. I also love learning the process of what it takes to make a movie. I appreciate it a lot more and I feel like it gives me more dimensions as an artist and I will be able to touch and inspire more people.

What is the worst thing about being one?

I really don’t think there is a “worst” thing about being one. Yes there are challenges, but that’s what makes it fun and interesting. That’s what life is about, why do it if you don’t love it, even the hardships. The hardships are what makes you better in the long run and they are ultimately a blessing in disguise. It’s all about how you handle it.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

This is my first one of many to come!

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

How can I just name one, when there are so many. I give Kudos to all the wonderful filmmakers, you know who they are for you.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I am excited to wake up in the morning to continue working on it, but I find it hard to sleep at night because it’s hard to shut off.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

I actually have a few;

1. Believe in yourself, and don’t make excuses.

2. Face your fears, because when you do you will conquer the world.

3. Always remember to live in the moment and enjoy the journey.

4. And finally just do it. You can never go wrong when you are following your dreams.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I love to be active. I run and snowboard and go to the gym and do as much as I can to stay active because it’s never fun to be stagnant.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

There are so many wonderful films that I could name, one of my favorite foreign films is Pan’s Labyrinth, directed by Guillermo Del Toro. I thought the story was touching and I loved the symbolism in it.

One movie I loved that I think got majorly over-looked this year was Get Low with Robert Duvall, Bill Murray, and Sissy Spacek. The acting in this movie was truly incredible and it is sad that we are forgetting about brilliant movies such as this one.

I also love older movies such as On the Waterfront, Some like it Hot, any of the Alfred Hitchcock movies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Breakfast at Tiffany’s and so on, I could go on forever with this.

I also love documentaries and one that I recommend for anyone that has a passion and wants to pursue their dreams is Every Little Step. It is truly inspiring.

I love a lot of TV shows these days since they have become better quality and are filled with some of the best acting. Some of these shows include; Dexter, Breaking Bad, United States of Tara, Boardwalk Empire, Parenthood. As for comedies I love Modern Family and a British comedy called The Coupling (this series is so funny and I recommend finding it on Netflix, you won’t be disappointed)

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

I live around the Los Angeles area, so I’d say it is consumed with it.

If you could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

I would love to have been on the set of On the Waterfront and watch Marlon Brando work. His work is so organic and beautiful to watch on screen, I would have loved to be there to watch him in person. It gives me chills just thinking about it, do you know how much one person could learn from that. That would be moment of a lifetime!

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

If it is executed properly then I say go for it, but I think that remakes are starting to become a crutch in mainstream film these days. Films are starting to lack in originality, which makes things uninteresting.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Again, if it is done properly then why not? We all know the book is always better than the movie anyway, but it’s fun to see it come to life in visual form.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Yes I would like to say just follow your dreams, you are never too young or too old. Make your dreams a reality by doing it. Try not to listen to the many excuses you will come up for yourself, because you can make it happen if you really want it. It takes courage to be successful. Stay strong and have faith in yourself because once you do this you will conquer the world.

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview Christina. I'll be sure to tell people about your film. I'd love to write a review if you'll let me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment