Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Interview Devon Hicks

For more information on Devon's film click here. Follow Devon on twitter @craftydevon.



What is the current project you are working on?

It's 'Saying Gay: A documentary about SB49'. The film was born out of a need to address a bill in Tennessee that would effectively ban discussion between students and public school employees about homosexuality in grades K-8. My concern is that this bill will make LGBT students feel like there's something wrong with them, and that it will be harder to address bullying that occurs commonly with LGBT students. The film will provide analysis of the bill, and a look into the lives of GLBTQ students and their families. I really want to give these young people a voice.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I've always had an interest in film as a creative medium, but had never really dug into it.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

The thought that something I create could go on to effect the way someone thinks, maybe inspire them to help make change and/or get them engaged in a discussion about a subject really appeals to me. I realized that through film I could sit people down and share a story with them.

What is the best thing about being one?

So far for me it has been the community and the feeling I spoke of above. Even as a total "noobie" I felt accepted as I went on my search for answers.

What is the worst thing about being one?

While I am sure something exists, I'm still to early on my journey to find it.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I consume everything a lot differently now that I know "hey, that's how they did that!", and I begin to analyze and look at things like the lighting and composition. It's a interesting way to look at things, but it becomes annoying when I just want to enjoy a film.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I currently work as a web designer, but my true passion is working as a activist.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

I've been in the mood lately for slightly older films like Indiana Jones and the original Star Wars. When it comes to TV I'm a sucker for shows like Fringe and CSI.

How would you describe your film education?

I'm a huge fan of "learning by doing". Currently I'm consuming every article, forum post, and video I can get my hands on.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

We have a few neat festivals, such as the 24 Hour Film Festival, but I've yet to really dive into it and see how big it is.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

I think it has given filmmakers a platform to spread their films to a much wider audience, and also receive more support from their peers.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding and recent crowdfunding scandals?

As someone who is working to crowdsource their film, I think it's a great way for dedicated first time filmmakers to get into the game and follow their dream, empowering people that otherwise might not have been able to make their creations.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

I think we have the unique ability to "do it our way" without having to worry about what corporate has to say, and to reach niche audiences that would otherwise be ignored.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

I'd love to back on the original Star Trek film sets and see their approach to how they did their FX work.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

I'd enjoy having the Green Lantern's ring.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

When done well, I think they're great. I enjoy seeing new technology applied to older sci-fi and action flicks (I really enjoyed the new Star Trek film, though I know many Trekkies who hated it)

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

I usually hate them to be honest, I'm a purist and find that most movies end up swaying far from the book. I demand a remake of the last 5 Harry Potter films!

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I think that filmmakers such as myself are living in a great time. Technology is getting cheaper, distribution is getting cheaper, and more and more people are consuming content from "the little guys". If your willing to take the time to learn and realize there are people willing to listen, you can do amazing things.

Thanks for doing the interview Devon. I'll be sure to spread the word about your film "Saying Gay".

No comments:

Post a Comment