Sunday, June 19, 2011

Interview Justin Berger



Justin Berger has been making a name for himself in the San Francisco, CA Bay Area as a director and producer for the past few years. His independent production company, HKL Films, produces original content for independent music artist Lyrics Born, actresses Katee Sackhoff & Tricia Helfer and is currently co-producing an independent web series titled 'Help! I'm Alive...'.

He has directed and produced music videos for the afore mentioned Lyrics Born as well as local Bay Area artists Karyn Paige, Crown City Rockers and DJ D-Sharp.

His music video "Whispers" for Lyrics Born was chosen as one of Pitchfork.com's top videos of 2008.

Justin currently resides in El Cerrito, CA and continues to work on a variety of projects including "Black Betty", a feature length film currently in pre-production.

You can visit him online and see his work at http://www.hklfilms.com

You can also reach him on Twitter at @hklfilms as well as Facebook www.facebook.com/justinberger

What is the current project you are working on?

I'm currently working on a few, but the most dominant project is 'Help! I'm Alive...' -- a web series I'm directing and co-producing. It's a post-apocalyptic story set 20 years in the future. Our story follows a group of survivors who find a stranger in the woods who sets in motion a chain of events that threaten the entire community but simultaneously offers them answers and hope.

We're currently trying to raise funds for production costs, so if anyone wants to help us out please visit our IndieGoGo page: http://www.indiegogo.com/HELP-IM-ALIVE-

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Yes and no. When I was a kid it was something I was very obsessed with, but as I got older I drifted more to music and wanted to be a proverbial 'rock star'. It wasn't until years later, after the music bug died down that I really got back in to my first passion of filmmaking.

I was always involved with video production, whether it was editing, filming or directing, but I never really focused on it 100% until the past few years.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I grew up on Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ET, Ghostbusters and all of those great 80's films and I was always fascinated with the movie making process.

I lived for behind-the-scenes features. There was one in particular that I loved as a kid - "From Star Wars to Jedi" and it was basically a special they'd play on TV every once in awhile that showed all of this great behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with George Lucas and the cast. I'd also always buy those official movie magazines they would sell at the 7-Eleven that showed you what went in to making movies like "The Goonies" or "The Temple of Doom". I loved seeing how they did certain effects and scenes and I also loved seeing storyboards, concept art and stuff like that. I was a bit obsessed with it as a kid. This obsession never went away and when DVDs became popular I would buy them mostly for the special features.

To this day I still love watching all of the "making of" featurettes on DVDs and online.

That obsession, combined with my friends video camera, really pushed me in the direction of filmmaking and video in general.

The very first thing we ever shot was this short called "Attack of the Kohlrabis", which was me and my friends doing a sci-fi invasion movie with these Kohlrabi (which are vegetables, much like turnips or potatos) since he lived on a farm and had hundreds of them they had pulled out of his field. That was the first time I ever actually shot and directed something. Wish I still had a copy, but I think it's gone forever.

What is the best thing about being one?

For me personally the best thing about being a filmmaker is being able to tell a story in such a broad medium.

I love photography, I love music and I love art, but to me film is where you get to combine all of those in to one amazing experience.

I love taking an idea and watching it turn in to this other reality. It's just so fascinating and amazing to see a thought from my head become a real place with real characters inhabiting that space and interacting. It's where my imagination becomes reality -- there's nothing better.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The worst part is the frustration of relying on others and having them let you down.

Whether it be actors, crew, producers or just funding in general -- it's very frustrating seeing your vision hindered by someone else. To avoid that I'm usually pretty good at working with people who are reliable, trustworthy and professional.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

As far as productions, I've worked on dozens in varying capacities.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

It's really impossible to pick just one, but if I had to I'd probably choose George Lucas.

To me Lucas represents the ultimate goal as a filmmaker -- complete control of your craft, your vision, your films and having the money and resources to make whatever you want without having to worry what people think.

Just being able to create simply for the sake of creating because it's in your bones and if you don't do it you'll go insane.

Lucas gets a lot of shit these days from all angles -- and I can understand some of it -- but I can't deny that the original Star Wars films affected me growing up more profoundly than anything else. If it wasn't for those movies I don't think I would be the person I am today. Corny as it may sound, it's the truth. And it's the truth for a lot of today's top filmmakers. Lucas and Spielberg really set the bar for a lot of what we see today in modern cinema.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I'm a lot happier. I feel like I've finally found my true calling and passion.

As much as I love music, it just doesn't compare to filmmaking. For many years music was my life -- and it's still a very profound part of it -- but once I decided filmmaking was what I was gonna do with the rest of my life, things just sorta started falling in to place.

It's what I was born to do. No doubt.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Just do it.

In this day and age just about anyone has access to some sort of visual recording device. Whether its a cellphone camera, a point-and-shoot or a DSLR, anyone can start making movies.

Don't think about it, just do it. You'll learn much faster that way and you'll figure out what works and what doesn't and that's how you'll develop your own style.

The worst thing you can do is wait for someone to give you permission to do anything -- especially when it comes to art. You need to just go out and do what you wanna do.

It's that drive and passion that people will respond to. To quote a famous movie; If you build it, they will come.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Music. Photography. Writing.

I love being creative on many different levels. I play a few different musical instruments and sometimes I really love just picking up an acoustic guitar and strumming chords for no other reason than just creating.

I love playing the drums too. It's very relaxing and exhilirating at the same time.

Beyond all of that I like driving. Roadtrips are always fun. What usually ends up happening though is whenever I do anything not related to filmmaking I always end up thinking, "Damn it, I wish I had my camera!"

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Of course. You gotta pay the bills.

Growing up I've been a dishwasher, a barista, a pizza delivery driver, a drywall installer, painter, customer service rep -- I bounced around a lot trying to support myself while I figured out what the hell I was going to do with my life.

Even today I don't make a full-time living being a filmmaker, but I am working in the music business, so not only do I like my job but I'm fulfilling another dream of mine as well.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

I'm not a big foreign film buff. Not because I don't like foreign films, but I just didn't really grow up watching them and so I don't really see them unless someone recommends one. Some of my fave films from other countries are like "Shaun of the Dead", "Layer Cake", "Snatch" -- stuff like that. I did just see "The Horde", which is a French zombie flick that I thought was great.

I'm also a big fan of the British TV series, "Misfits" -- and who doesn't love Monty Python?!

American films are another story -- I could go on for days about my favorites, but I'll give you 5 that really stand out to me as a filmmaker: "The Empire Strikes Back", "Bladerunner", "Tron: Legacy", "Pulp Fiction" & "The Dark Knight".

I could go on and on about my favorite American TV shows too, but my top 5 right now would have to be: "Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined)", "Arrested Development", "LOST", "Dexter" & "Entourage".

How would you describe your film education?

I have no formal film education. Everything I've learned has been hands on and self-taught.

That isn't the way everyone should do it, but it works for me and I learn a lot faster that way. Plus I'd rather be out doing it rather than sitting in a classroom having someone else telling me how to do it.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

I think the San Francisco Bay Area has a great 'scene'. We're close enough to Hollywood that we have access to their resources, but independently of that I feel that the Bay Area film scene, from my perspective, is very grass roots based.

It's about people helping other people make their projects a reality while enjoying doing it. People in the Bay Area work hard and are very supportive of each other.

Plus we've got some of the heavyweights out here including ILM, Pixar and American Zoetrope.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

In my opinion its opened it up immensely. Anyone now has the power to shoot a film and put it online for the entire world to see.

The drawback is that there is an over abundance of content out there and it can be very difficult to weed out the good, the bad and the ugly.

But, another great aspect of social media is how filmmakers, from the biggies like Jon Favreau & Ron Howard to indie guys like myself, have a direct connection to our followers & fans. We can interact directly and get that feedback and response that wasn't available before.

Like everything else on the internet, it has its good side and bad side, but overall I think social media has revolutionized the film industry by allowing a project that might otherwise have gone unnoticed to potentially receive mainstream awareness through sheer numbers of fans.

Overall I think it's a good thing and it has leveled the playing field in a big way for all filmmakers, big and small.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding and recent crowdfunding scandals?

We've used Kickstarter.com and IndieGoGo.com for our "Help! I'm Alive..." project and I've found it to be a great resource for indie artists.

It gives you a place that people can go and look at your project and feel secure in contributing money to it.

Sure there are bad people out there pulling scams, but that's been a part of the internet since the first spam email. In my opinion it's the job of the consumer to research what they're spending their money on to verify if it's the real deal or not.

Personally I feel the adage, "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" usually applies to almost anything. As for the people who are scamming others out of their money, they're nothing more than bottom feeders who are scared to fail.

What is the casting process like?

Tedious, but fun.

Sometimes it can be extremely difficult choosing someone for a part when there are 3 people who are equally good at it, but other times one person stands out and it's an easy pick.

Overall I enjoy it and I like seeing the different people come in and read for the same role. It can expand even your own ideas of what you thought the character should look/be like. It's definitely a big part of the creative process.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Money.

That's really the bottomline. Mainstream films have these huge budgets and can afford top stars and fancy effects and marketing campaigns, while indie films are a struggle until the very end.

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing though, as indie films have a tendency to be more creative and unique because they are limited by budget and so it forces people to experiment and try new things -- and get away with more.

There is also a certain charm to indie films that people seem to gravitate towards. A very underdog vibe that people respond to. Not in all cases, but sometimes an indie can be a bigger hit than a mainstream flick.

But, mainstream movies have the definite advantage when it comes to exposure and notoriety.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

The original Star Wars.

The era that that movie was made in was a paradigm shift for filmmaking, and what it represents culturally and cinematically is just mind boggling.

To be a fly on the wall and watch the technology being created that still influences filmmaking today would be mesmerizing -- not to mention just seeing someone like Lucas working his magic would be so inspiring.

It would be the equivalent to being a Christian and you could go back and watch Jesus being born.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda "The Empire Strikes Back"

That quote has always stuck with me to this day. It's very Buddhist of course, and also very simple and eloquent but with a profound impact.

Honestly it's pretty self-explanatory really. This has been my mantra since I was a kid and probably explains my tendency to jump in to things without thinking as well. haha

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Time travel. If that's a superpower.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

I have no problem with remakes. Sometimes it gets ridiculous, but I see nothing wrong in taking an old movie and giving it a fresh coat of paint for a new generation.

I know a lot of people disagree with that point of view, but at the end of the day if you don't like the remake you can go back and watch the original.

But let's be real, there's nothing new under the sun. There hasn't been for centuries. We're all just rehashing old stories in new ways. If you look at it that way, everything's a remake.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

They're rarely as good as the books, but I don't think that should stop them from being made.

I know I've seen movies based on books I've never read that I've loved. Why should a great story be limited to just one form of media?

[slideshow]

Thanks Justin for a great interview. I'll be sure to tell people about "Help! I'm Alive". I hope we can do another interview for "Black Betty".

No comments:

Post a Comment