Sunday, June 12, 2011

Interview Casey Ryan creator and host of "The Cutting Room Floor"

I got the chance to interview Casey Ryan creator and host of the online radio show "The Cutting Room Floor". For more information on Casey and his show click here. Follow Casey on Twitter @CuttingRoomMRB

What is the current project you are working on?

While the podcast always takes priority, I’m also trying to get more writing done. Lately I’ve started writing actual reviews on some of the indie projects I’ve discussed on air and they’ve been pretty well received.

Did you always want to work in the film industry?

I don’t work in the film industry but, I’ve been fascinated by it since I was a kid. Part of me has always wanted to be a film critic but, I opted to get an education in business instead. Movies have always been my way to unwind and have fun. Studying the “film industry” is a serious hobby that I can share or debate with virtually anybody. It doesn’t matter what your background or set of interests is – everybody has an opinion about movies.

What inspired you to create the The Cutting Room Floor?

About 3 years ago, a good friend of mine named Dan Coleman owned and operated a great site (which has since been dismantled) that was dedicated to showcasing independent musicians. In addition to providing a platform for them to post their music, he also produced a talk show where the host would interview up and comers and seasoned veterans in the music business.

One day I happened to joke that he could easily adapt the talk show format to promote indie filmmakers. Being a man of few words he looked at me and said “Good idea. You do it!”. That same week, he helped produce my first episode.

I have an extensive sales background so a show like mine was a logical fit. It’s fun because I get to use my sales skills to help market my guests’ work. At the same time, I get to talk shop with all these great entertainment people which is a huge thrill for me personally.

What is the estimated number of guests you've had on your show?

As of this writing, I’ve done 112 shows and interviewed 97 different guests. Some of them have been on 2, 3 or in one case 5 times.

How do you chose which projects/people will appear on your show?

The vast majority of my interviews come from direct contacts that I make on Twitter. I do get a fair amount of additional referrals from people that grant me interviews and try to give them a certain amount of priority. I’m also sensitive of deadlines and try to accommodate anyone that is facing the last few days of a crowd-funding campaign. Beyond that, it’s on a first come, first serve basis. I’m open to talking to any type of artist – regardless of their chosen medium.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Norman Jewison is my favorite filmmaker. I have loads of others toward the top of the list but, keep going back to his work. It doesn’t hurt that I’m a huge Steve McQueen fan too (Cincinnati Kid and Thomas Crown Affair).

Other favorites include: Clint Eastwood, Martin Scorsese, Jon Favreau, and Quentin Tarantino.

How has your life changed since you created The Cutting Room Floor?

Being exposed to independent and micro-budget projects as much as I have over the last couple of years has opened my eyes to a lot of things. These entertainers are artfully able to sculpt a film (or novel or album) using little more than their own creativity, tenacity, and help from their peers. Often times I now find myself enjoying the independent films more than the major studio stuff – it’s just that good. I’ve also made a lot of amazing friends in the process.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

In a word, “Tilt”. “Tilt” was a film project headed up by Phil Holbrook, Jessica King and Julie Keck and symbolized exactly what a person should do to be a success in this business. Their marketing concept consisted of a fictitious “town” that was inhabited not only by characters in the movie but, people who donated to the project. They even created elaborate back-stories for their boosters.

The advice, as such, is deceptively obvious: find a good idea; assemble a team of talented, hard working people; market the project creatively and tenaciously; and engage with the fans and supporters – let them feel like they’re part of the process.

Above all else – enjoy yourself. Nobody wants to support a project where everyone looks defeatist or miserable.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to create The Cutting Room Floor?

I’ve been working in corporate sales for over 10 years. I also sit on the Board of Directors for the Ireland-Canada Chamber of Commerce – a volunteer group that seeks to promote greater business ties between the two countries.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

All very long lists but, I’ll try to net out a “Best of 7” for each item.

American movies: The Great Escape; Goodfellas; Inglorious Basterds; E.T.; Rain Man; Stand By Me; The Blues Brothers.

Foreign Films: In a Better World; Life is Beautiful; The Orphanage; Taxi (original from France); Das Boot; The Crimson Rivers; The Rocket (Canada - technically not “foreign” but, largely in French).

TV Shows:

Current: Modern Family; The Big Bang Theory; Mike & Molly; Hawaii 5-0;

Not on anymore: MASH; Iron Chef (Japanese version); Lost

How would you describe your film education?

I’m a movie-buff – pure and simple. My film education consisted of a lifetime of long days in the basement with a big stack of films I’d rented. As a kid I’d go on runs where I’d pick an actor or actress I liked and rent anything I could find that had that person in it. When I wasn’t watching their movies I was reading their bios or critical essays about their work.

In high school and college, some buddies and I made an attempt at making a couple of short films instead of turning in essays. Luckily I’ve managed to destroy almost all the copies in existence but, it was fun times.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Montreal is the kind of place that has something to offer anyone. This can be true of a lot of cities but, this place is unique in it’s diversity – linguistically and culturally. As Dan Aykroyd once said “It’s like a little piece of Europe in North America”. Between Fantasia, Festival des Films du Monde, Short Cuts, Cine Gael, and all the other festivals, Montreal is a great place for a filmmaker.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

It’s broken down a lot of barriers and helped give visibility to some phenomenal talents who otherwise would not have received any. My favorite aspect of the indie community is the level of cooperation that exists. People aren’t shy about sharing best practices or techniques. The sharing of information helps the community at large and almost everyone is willing to contribute to the betterment of the medium.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Independent films are driven largely by the writers – whom I’ve said for years are the unsung heroes of the movie business. The lack of budget for special effects forces writers and directors to be a lot more creative in other areas. I find the films are a lot more character driven which leads to some highly compelling dialogue.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be?

E.T. - Steven Spielberg said that it was his most personal movie and I can see why. For people my age it was their first real taste of the magic that the movies can bring – and it’s aged pretty well. I’ve often thought it would have been a blast to work on the set.

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

A dog in a good home. Eat, sleep, play and you have a sense of smell that borders on being a super power. What more would anyone need really?

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Omni-lingualism. Being able to understand and be understood in any form of communication without prior knowledge of it would be extremely helpful and empowering. As an added bonus, you could learn all the really cool swear words.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

When they’re done well, they’re gold but, the good ones are few and far between. For every “True Grit” there are at least 10 “Planet of the Apes”.

I also have another answer to this question. There was an article in Entertainment Weekly that said something to the effect of “don’t remake the good movies, remake the bad ones”. This makes sense. There are a lot of great story ideas out there that were just poorly executed on film.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

Books are a perfectly good source of material for movies. No matter how strong the finished product is, loyalists of “the book” will never really be happy because they go into the theater looking for things that the filmmaker left out as opposed to how strong the movie is on its own.

The one objection I do have is when an attempt is made at taking a series of books and mashing them all together into a single movie. Take a step back and enjoy the stories one at a time.

Thanks to Casey for a very informative interview. I'm going to tell all the people I interview to check out your radio show and follow you on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks John for interviewing this lovely man. I'm a fan of his show, and it's great to learn more about the man behind the voice.

    eden

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] was recently interviewed himself by independent blogger, John Hoff III and at The Farthest Reaches. You can also find him on Twitter.  Learn more about this fascinating [...]

    ReplyDelete