Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Interview Erika Street



Erika began her film career at the Emmy-Award winning studio, Log In Productions, where she acted as associate producer and production manager, and gained experience working on documentaries that address a need for social change. Her directorial debut, The Closure Myth, was broadcast nationally on LinkTV and internationally on AlJazeera English. Other documentary credits include production assistant and soundperson for films by the Academy Award-nominated Nomadic Pictures, the Today Show, National Geographic, Discovery Canada and NBC's Life Moments. Erika is a former winner of the CINE 5 on 5 for 5 pitch session; and has acted as a production manager and producer of environmental radio programs and podcasts. She is currently an MFA candidate in Film Production at Boston University. You can learn more about her work at http://www.InsideStoryFilms.com

What is the current project you are working on?

I’m currently in preproduction for a short film called Inside. This fiction film interweaves three stories about coping with isolation. The project was inspired by memoirs by prison inmates – specifically “Walking Home” by Greg Goodman and “Walla Walla IMU” by Arthur Longworth. For the script, I adapted these memoirs and wrote a third story about a prison guard.

While writing the script, I did a lot of research and corresponded with the original authors. During this time, one thing that struck me was the restorative effect that writing seems to have for many people who are incarcerated. So in addition to making the film, we’re creating an outreach program for Inside that includes a prison writing blog and a web site with profiles of organizations that use writing and literature as tools for restorative justice.

I’m really excited about the project and have a great team of people helping to make it a reality. You can learn more about the project at http://www.InsideFilmBlog.com

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I actually planned to be a large animal veterinarian first.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

My love of photography was what eventually led me to filmmaking.  The short version of a long story is that, after college, I was lucky to receive an internship with documentary filmmaker, Slawomir Grunberg. I contacted Slawomir hoping to take still photos for his films, but after spending more time at his studio, I fell in love with the whole process of filmmaking. Soon I learned to edit and to record location sound, and I began working for Slawomir full-time. It was wonderful experience.

What is the best thing about being one?

There are so many things that it’s hard to choose just one! One of my favorite things about filmmaking is that it no two days are the same and I get to meet and work with incredible people. While making a documentary, I get the opportunity to step into worlds that I might never otherwise experience.  I get to learn something new every day, and am honored that people share their stories with me. Filmmaking is also wonderful because it allows me to use both sides of my brain – it requires creativity as well as technical ability.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

To be honest, I am not a film buff at all, so this is a hard question to answer.  I became a filmmaker mostly because I enjoy the process of making films. I would much rather make something than watch something, and I grew up rarely watching tv. Grad school was the first time that I began to learn any kind of film history and was introduced to films like Tarkovsky’s “Mirror” and “Hiroshima, Mon Amour” by Alain Resnais.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I like gardening, hiking, kayaking – pretty much anything outside.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

I’ve worked as a freelance writer and as a project manager for short-form radio programs. I’ve also worked for veterinarians, worked at a gym, milked cows, mucked horse stalls, and delivered pizzas.  It’s a weird list.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Boston has a very strong, close-knit independent film scene. I’ve been lucky to be part of the Boston University community, which has a very collaborative atmosphere. Boston also has a great doc scene – for example, I really enjoy attending the DocYard screening series at the Brattle Theater.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

I would love to have been there when Murnau made Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. The cinematography is amazing – especially considering the equipment of the day.

Thanks Erika for doing the interview. I agree with you about Boston. I'm only beginning to get into the independent scene in Boston. Everyone I've met has been very friendly and willing to collaborate.

1 comment:

  1. [...] post was written by Brianna Vieira, a member of Unleashed PR on working with client Erika Street and her short film, “Inside.” “Inside” is a short film based on stories by prison [...]

    ReplyDelete