Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Interview David Lunday

Below is my interview with David Lunday. For information on David and his production company click here. Follow David on Twitter @davidlunday



What is the current project you are working on?

I’m producing the feature film “The Maestro.” We’re currently working on raising finishing funds at kickstarter. http://kck.st/j5P5Or

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I don’t think I ever thought seriously about making films, even though one of my first creative endeavors was a short little horror film I made with a friend when I was about 9 years old. Still, I always considered myself a musician/composer.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I think what inspired me was actually music. My most recent music actually has character voices and singing along with orchestral works (yes may sound weird and to some it is) in somewhat of a straight ahead commercial style. It just seemed that I needed to make the jump into film to try and have everything make sense as a whole. The addition of the visual aspect was obviously big for me.

What is the best thing about being one?

The best thing about it all is the actual possibility of fully realizing my innermost thoughts as they relate to everything in both the physical and non-physical world.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Hmm, that’s a tough one. I actually love all aspects of the creative process because they’re all very important parts to the whole. Maybe it’s having enough money to finish everything properly…but sometimes this just makes it so you have to be more creative, so…

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

About 5 different projects…but this is my first feature. The others were either commercials or shorts.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Wow, don’t really have one. Although; I’ve really grown to appreciate the organic style of Clint Eastwood’s work. The way his movies are lit and the way the audio mixes sound…but this is just recently. Any director that is consistent with putting out good movies really.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I would say overall I am just much happier. I really enjoy the process…and that is the big key to anything.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Be prepared for the long haul.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Spend time with my daughter.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Guitar teacher and a Pari-mutuel Clerk (horse racing & dog racing)…so music and gambling, perfect experience for making motion pictures!

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films?

Regardless of genre (American): The Shawshank Redemption, Caddyshack, etc.

(Foreign): Life is Beautiful, Barry Lyndon, To Be and to Have etc.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Everyone, with digital technology, wants to make the next great movie despite having no money.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding and recent crowdfunding scandals?

I wasn’t aware of the scandals so much but crowdfunding seems to work for a lot of people as long as they have a pretty strong support network to begin with. I think it’s a great concept for independents.

What is the casting process like?

I love it. There’s nothing like finding the right actor for a role.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Well, obviously budget…but usually much more engaging characters and stories. But, remember, an independent film may still have a budget of $15-30 million…the term “independent” can be a bit squirrelly…just means the financing does not come from a studio.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t…back to that gambling thing again.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Yeah, thanks for having me John!

 

 

 

 

Thanks David for doing the interview. I'll be sure to let people know about The Maestro.

No comments:

Post a Comment