Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Interview With Nic Baisley Creator of FilmSnobbery

Below is my interview with the the creator of FlimSnobbery Nic Baisley. 

FilmSnobbery.com shines a spotlight on independent filmmakers and their projects, and gives exposure to great films that would otherwise be ignored by the mainstream media.

 

FilmSnobbery Live! is a web broadcast live interview show that takes an in depth look at the rapidly changing world of indie film. Host and film critic Nic Baisley gets up close and personal with the people at the leading edge of indie film to uncover the stories behind the making of their movies.

 

You can watch it all happen, and participate in our live chat room, every Thursday night at 10 EST/7 PST at http://live.filmsnobbery.com

 

FilmSnobbery.com… a Voice for Indie Film  (Source: http://filmsnobbery.com/about/)

 

What is the current project you are working on?

A: I'm always working on ten projects at once. Right now the main three projects we're working on are hiring some more staff to help increase our cashflow, we're working on producing several more shows in addition to FilmSnobbery Live!, and we're also trying to plan out the rest of our year in terms of speaking engagements, screening series', and film festival coverage.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

A: I've never really wanted to be a filmmaker. I don't think that I have the skillset needed to be behind the camera like that. I do feel I'd make an excellent producer though. One of the many questions I get all the time is "you're a film critic, so where's your script?". The truth is, I've got many ideas floating around in my head, but right now I'm concentrating on making other people's dreams come to fruition.

What inspired you to become involved in the independent film industry?

A: At the end of the day it just comes down to passion and levels of exposure. Will Smith doesn't need my voice to hype his latest multi-million dollar project, but there are a lot of filmmakers who would appreciate someone talking about their low budget first attempt at filmmaking.

What is the best thing having your own talk show?

A: I think the best thing is just hearing the variety of personal stories that our guests get to tell. Every project is unique and so are the people who are behind them. Also the interraction we have with our audience really gives the show that "clubhouse" feel. Like we're all in this group together, fostering support for everyone's projects.

What is the worst thing about having your own talk show?

A: The worst part is when I have a guest who just can't relate to the audience, or doesn't speak with passion about their own projects. It's amazing how there are some directors out there who just seem to have no idea what their film is REALLY about, but instead just spout off soundbites that they THINK is what myself and the audience wants to hear. Also, people who are on just to promote promote promote without engaging myself or the audience is a big turn off. Buy me dinner first before you try to sleep with me, right?

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

A: That's a tough question because it depends on your definition of "worked on" is. If you mean how many films have I worked on personally, then only a few. If you mean how many have I helped to promote through interviews, reviews, screenings, etc., then the answer is hundreds.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

A: Kevin Smith. But the funny part is, as much as I admire his early work as a filmmaker, I'm more anamored now with his ability to hold onto and increase his audience outside of the film world. There aren't many people, nevermind directors, that can keep people riveted for 8 or more hours. When I saw him live in Red Bank, NJ he spoke for about 7 hours and the crowd was still amped for more when it was over.

How has your life changed since you became the host of your own show?

A: Honestly I sometimes wonder what the REAL impact the show has had on what I do. But I'll say that FilmSnobbery in general has changed my life dramatically. I'm traveling all over the country more often, meeting new creative people everyday, and it is finally nice to do something that doesn't feel like a "job". I put 100% into FilmSnobbery and I get all that and more everyday. I'd do this for free, if I could, every day for the rest of my life.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who wants to make it in the movie business?

A: Learn how to accept the word "NO" a lot, and persevere. Don't let it break your down. Just listen to a lot of Matthew Wilder's "Break My Stride", that always helps me.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

A: Favorite American films are kinda cliches like Clerks, Star Wars, and Reservoir Dogs. My favorite foreign films are Battle Royale, Shaun of the Dead, and Pan's Labyrinth. For TV shows I generally enjoy Doctor Who, Bones, and Castle.

How would you describe your film education?

A: Tarantino-esque


How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?


A: Lively but isolated. There are a ton of film festivals in the Boston area, but so very few people getting together on their own and helping to make and promote film in any public forum. I'd love to be proven wrong about that though!

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

A: You can now engage your audience in your underwear, from anywhere. You don't have to have a 50 million dollar P & A budget to get the word out about your film anymore, you just have to have the patience and the passion to get other people to care on a 1 to 1 basis about your project.

What is the interview process like?

A: For me I like to keep it really simple. I try to make the guest feel as comfortable as possible. Hopefully we promote everything he/she wants to, but mostly I just want my audience to care about them as people. Almost all of our live shows are unscripted, which I think makes the answers to my questions a bit more real and honest.


How does independent film differ from the mainstream?


A: Most of it comes down to budget. Some might say passion as well but I don't think many directors (it might be a little different for PA's and grips, etc.) go into filmmaking not being in love with film. I think the further you go down the food chain of film credits, the more it is just a job, but I personally don't know anyone in the film world who doesn't have a love for film in general who works in it, even if they're not thrilled about the film they are currently working on.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be?

A: Citizen Kane

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

A: Monkey, because that's not too far removed from where I am currently.


You could have any super power. What would it be?


A: The funny answer would be shape-shifting, but I think teleportation would be the real answer, so I could be anywhere I was needed at any time to cover as much of the indie film world as I could.

 

 

 

Remember readers FilmSnobbery Live airs on Thursdays at 10PM EST. Thanks to Nic for an informative interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment