Saturday, June 18, 2011

Interview Orly Ravid founder of The Film Collaborative

 I got the chance to interview Orly Ravid the founder of The Film Collaborative. To find out exactly what The Film Collaborative is click here.  Follow on Twitter @filmcollabIt should be noted that Orly was doing this interview while on her way to the Sheffield Film Festival.



What is the current project you are working on?

We are presently working on Revenge of the Electric Car, Some Guy Who Kills People, Weekend, We Were Here , Leave it on the Floor, How to Start Your Own Country, and other films too. We're always working with a few filmmakers at a time though not doing the same work for each film.

Did you always want to work in the film industry?

Not really actually. I started out wanting to teach and write, and I also wrote a political script and then believe it or not I dabbled in the financial sector on the Mercantile Exchange but that world turned me off quickly.

What inspired you to create the The Film Collaborative?

Years of being in the business and never feeling good about the monetization of secrecy or the excess middle men or simple just how bad the business is for those who actually take the risks with their time and creativity and financial investments. Several people told me I should be an agent or run a studio or something like that because I can be assertive and I can be a go-getter. But I am just not interested in working with cinema in a way that focuses on making money for anyone but the creators and I just wanted to do something that blended my distribution experience with my desire to change the way distribution done and the way the film business works, or doesn't actually for so many.

What is the estimated number of projects that are part of your organization?

So far approximately 90

How do you chose which projects join your organization?

Most of the time the projects and the filmmakers choose us. We will educate and help any filmmaker who comes to us though we will not directly distribute a film that not fit our mission and have either artistic or cultural merit or both and / or one that is serving an under-served audience.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

I never have just one favorite, or rarely. A few are: John Cassavetes, Sydney Lumet, Lars Von Trier (even with his crazy), Kelly Reichardt, Guy Maddin, Zhang Yimou, Fassbinder

How has your life changed since you created and/or becoming involved with The Film Collaborative?

Yes, I work twice as hard and make half as much money. LOL. But on the bright side, I have never felt better about what I do, professionally speaking. I have never felt more authentic and purposeful.

I was always transparent with filmmakers but now I can take that philosophy and practice and really see it through which I could not do quite as well before when working for others.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Be authentic to your vision and your true sense of the truth. Stay focused. Don't bother if you are not truly passionate and almost obsessive, in the good way. Don't imitate, create.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a creating and/or becoming involved with The Film Collaborative?

Yes, I worked as a development exec and distribution exec at Maxmedia, and also as an acquisition and business affairs and theatrical for Wolfe Releasing and most recently as the VP of Acquisitions and Distribution for Senator's US arm. And I have co-owned a Business-to-Business indie film marketing company called New American Vision since 2004. I co-own that with Jeffrey Winter who I met at Maxmedia and New American Vision has been doing grassroots marketing for distributors, we used to work with filmmakers too, and most of all film festivals and organizations such as IDA, AFI FEST, Los Angeles Film Festival and now we're working for the Film Society at Lincoln Center as well. We also handle media sponsorships for some of the festivals.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

American Films: Woman Under the Influence, Auntie Mame (with Rosalind Russell), Network, Wendy & Lucy, Goonies, Borat, White Chicks, Mean Girls, South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut, Puffy Chair, Harlan County, The Hours, Far from Heaven, Gasland (I honestly don't know how to to do this well and am running out of time so must stop for now :-)

Foreign: Dancer in the Dark, Celebration, Treeless Mountain, Brand Upon the Brain, Still Walking, Un Prophet,

TV: 30Rock, The West Wing, Carnival, Sopranos, Nip/Tuck, Damages, South Park, The Ali G Show

How would you describe your film education?

Some academic training at Columbia U. via professors such as James Schamus but otherwise simply a matter of viewing and reading and not quite as deep as some of the more rigorous programmers who I do admire

But I tried programming (as a programming associate at Outfest and NewFest and Sundance and a consultant for a couple of other festivals such as PSIFF and MEIFF) and I decided not to pursue that as a career.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

I live in the hills of Mt. Washington and I avoid all scenes though I am near a Hipster one (downtown and Silver Lake) and I was raised and lived most of my life in Manhattan where of course, there's so many "scenes".

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

In the same way it has changed the entire world. but above all, it's demonstrated a way to market without just dumping dollars.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

These days the line blurs often. $ and casting is my short answer

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be?

Please rephrase question, not sure of your meaning.

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

Teddy bear

You could have any super power. What would it be?

To create upon thought

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

Depends. sorry, must dash now hence brief :-)

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Ideally people read the book too. it's almost always better.

 

 

 

Thanks to Orly for doing the interview. I want to let everyone know that The Film Collaborative is putting a book out of case studies called SELLING YOUR FILM WITHOUT SELLING YOUR SOUL . Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment